Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Much lower heights going into Europe on this run.

Posted Image

Posted

Thanks for the update Ian. Perhaps not enough there to make most folk ecstatic, but at least enough to stop them becoming further depressed - note most tho...Posted Image

Not sure you actually read Ian's post correctly? The bit about the amplification in the Atlantic.........

and further depressed about what? The weather right now is cold, not mild, no SW winds etc etc.

Edited by MPG
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS still staggering around like a drunken sailor looking for a whore, best ignored for now.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Mucka

Posted

What are the 'decider models', Steve? Will the weather not just do what it does?

I think that DECIDER is a met office mid range model that we don't get to see...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Re Decider, see link here http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/l/f/decider.pdf or in the presentation linked below

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CD0QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ecmwf.int%2Fpublications%2Fmember_states_meetings%2FForecast_products_users%2FPresentations2011%2FPDFs%2FMylne_Parker.pdf&ei=9yiSUq3_Ku7e7Aaek4DoCw&usg=AFQjCNFVmcgEv7GBfuPKhaey_KTsZKD0bQ&bvm=bv.56988011,d.d2k

Looks brilliant, clusters ensembles into regimes to provide an outlook on predicted weather type, if anyone wants a run through Dec 81 click here..

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Latest CFS 9 month still keeping us in cold conditions with positive heights north and negative heights south for the entire winter.

Actually looks a lot like '81 now that I think about it lorenzo.

Edited by SN0WM4N

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Quick update on the issues with UKMO between t06 and t36

Lack of data for UKMO cards between 6 and 36h! Thank you for your understanding!

Data missing for 0-36h UKMO charts, sorry for the inconveniance!

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

all I can say is gordon bennett-thank gawd I am no longer working as a forecaster!

far too complex for my sinple mind

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Look at that for some WAA in FI. Also to note, some real cold air heading to us from Scandi -15 uppers. That PV looks to be cruising for a bruising if the outlook is to be believed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

MetO not brilliant but not bad and compared to GFS it is light years ahead for potential cold and likely accuracy for that matter.

Posted Image

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO shows the pressure moving east again at t144

Posted ImagePosted Image

Comparison of GFS and UKMO at t144

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

GEM moving away from a deep trough affecting the UK later bringing the prospect of something colder and siding with GFS's limpet high Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

GEM moving away from a deep trough affecting the UK later bringing the prospect of something colder and siding with GFS's limpet high Posted Image

Posted Image

Predictable really.

Im afraid the output continues to really flatter to deceive,(if you'll pardon the unintended pun)

Any talk of Dec 1981 is to be frank,a bit bizarre...

Edited by happy days
  • Like 3

Posted

Very promising trends from the charts this afternoon for the extended range

by GFS and UKMO. Looking forward to seeing the ECM 12z a bit later.

I don't agree - for me there is nothing to suggest HLB, for sure the chances of brief NWerley incursions, but I don't see anything in the output that deviates from the METO outlooks for early December.

• Like 2

Posted

GEM at least shows some promise by day 10

Posted Image

Not to over analyse a day 10 chart but just to explain the promise for people just learning to read charts.

The low pressure over Iceland would develop and run s/se while the low to the sw of the UK would remain in situ and slowly fill this means the Atlantic ridge can not sink or be quickly toppled East by low pressure on its Western flank which would cause WAA NW into Greenland with a NE flow likely following.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

GEM at least shows some promise by day 10

Posted Image

The low pressure over Iceland would develop and run s/se while the low to the sw of the UK would remain in situ and slowly fill these means the Atlantic ridge can not sink or be quickly toppled East by low pressure on its Western flank which would cause WAA NW into Greenland with a NE flow likely following.

GFS control showing the same promise at day 10 and once again follows the western vortex erosion route

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Good support for a HLB over Alaska and stretching down the west coast of Canada going into week 2. But I remain very cautious about it's impacts for our part of the world. As the phrase goes, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Not going to get excited unless something appears towards the latter part of week 1 which might suggest something might actually verify.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

I think things could get exciting into the 2nd week if December. With the PV shunted east and higher pressure over Greenland

• Like 1