Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 08/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Brighter here in Ippy but there's a lot of Altocumulus about hiding a watery sun. Still fairly mild, though.

Will we, (in Ipswich area) experience any of this windy weather we're expecting do you think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Looks windy for us tomorrow K (and wet tonight), using the good weather today to do my washing.

• Like 1

Posted

Will we, (in Ipswich area) experience any of this windy weather we're expecting do you think?

Could be somewhere around 40 mph winds for you late tomorrow night Grace:

post-6667-0-92441900-1387281089_thumb.jp

Gust around 55mph? (maybe 60 mph nearer the coast)

post-6667-0-05520300-1387281243_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I remember the very high winds on Xmas Eve 1997 (I think) ooop North. It was sooo strong it blew the roof of our lean- too garden room thingy off. :) I enjoyed it immensly. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

'All i want for Christmas'... is one snowflake to fall on Heathrow - I got 10/1 at the bookies Posted Image

post-884-0-52524200-1387283138_thumb.png

ever the optomist

• Like 1

Posted

'All i want for Christmas'... is one snowflake to fall on Heathrow - I got 10/1 at the bookies Posted Image

Posted Imagegfs-2-186.png

ever the optomist

You have more chance of me returning to the QE2 in WGC and being born there a second time LOL.

• Like 1

Posted
Risk of severe gales across the north late Wednesday into Thursday

Issued on 17/12/2013 at 10:26
Valid From: 17/12/2013 at 09:00 until 19/12/2013 at 12:00

Regions affected:
Scotland Northern Ireland Northern England Wales Southern England

Areas affected in detail:

Scotland, N Ireland, N England, Wales and SW England

Severity level:
Level 4
Weather type:
Severe Gales & Heavy Rain
Alert risk period:
18/12/13 00:00 until 19/12/13 12:00

Alert details: 

A deepening area of low pressure will pass close to the northwest of Scotland Wednesday night, bringing a risk of gales across many parts Wednesday evening and severe gales or storm force winds across northwest Britain as the low approaches here. 

There is a risk of winds gusting to 60-70mph for a time across the far northwest tonight, near an Atlantic frontal system moving through. Then winds will generally strengthen across many areas by Wednesday evening, as an active frontal system moves eastward, with the southwesterly wind gusting to 50-60 mph up through the Irish Sea, across southwest England and along the English Channel coasts with passage of the front, with isolated gusts of 60-70mph not ruled out.

However, the strongest winds will develop late evening (9pm onwards) across Northern Ireland and western Scotland, as the deepening area of low pressure moves northeast close to the northwest of Scotland. Gusts of 70-80mph are possible here late evening into early Thursday morning, with isolated gusts in excess of 80mph possible over exposed coasts and hills of western Scotland and the north coast of Northern Ireland. Therefore, there is a risk of travel disruption in these areas. 

In addition to the high winds, persistent rain is likely to affect parts of western Scotland and perhaps Wales and SW England too. The largest rainfall totals will be across western Scotland, with 40-60mm likely, perhaps 60mm+ over higher ground. Therefore there is a risk of flooding and hazardous driving conditions in these areas.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=weather-alerts;reg=7;sess=947a0e2c417ab037cbb318c2adc9d4d4

Yellow warning of Rain

Issued at: 
1214 on Tue 17 Dec 2013

Valid from: 
0900 on Wed 18 Dec 2013

Valid to: 
2359 on Wed 18 Dec 2013

Outbreaks of rain reaching the Western Isles on Tuesday evening will spread east and affect much of Scotland through Wednesday. The rain will be most persistent across Southwest Scotland and the Southern Highlands, with the heaviest rain likely on Wednesday evening. In addition, southerly winds will increase to gale force with severe gales developing in coastal areas and higher ground inland. 

The public should be aware of difficult travel conditions with possible disruption due to localised flooding. A developing depression in the Atlantic is expected to drive active fronts eastwards across Scotland on Wednesday. 25-40mm rainfall is likely quite widely across the yellow area, with over 60mm possible across some upland areas. The greatest risk of impacts will be during the evening.

Yellow warning of Wind

Issued at: 
1137 on Tue 17 Dec 2013

Valid from: 
1500 on Wed 18 Dec 2013

Valid to: 
2359 on Wed 18 Dec 2013

Heavy rain and gales will affect South and West Wales, South West England and some southern coastal counties of England on Wednesday evening. Gusts will reach 50 to 60 mph quite widely, with 70 mph gusts likely in exposed coastal areas. Heavy rain may also cause some localised flooding across parts of Wales and South West England. The rain will clear and strongest winds will ease by the early hours of Thursday morning. The public should be aware of the potential for minor disruption. 

A deep area of low pressure will pass close to North West Scotland during Wednesday evening, extending bands of heavy rain and gales across many areas from Wednesday afternoon into Thursday morning. Strongest gusts are likely in coastal areas exposed to the southerly winds. Heaviest rain will be on high ground in the west, with the potential for both river and surface water flooding. 

Edited by Coast

Posted

Nope! I've been awake since half 5 and JP's charts always make good reading!!

Just seen your local college in the news for being updated and green, WOW seems like another lifetime I was there working weekends installing new cat5 networks (yup they can thank me for that)

Posted

ever the optomist

:doh: 

'It’s going to be a little up and down, with odd cold patches here and there, but in general the Christmas period should remain quite mild.’ Forecasters say Britain could be in for a stormy Christmas Day, however, with low atmospheric pressure bringing wind and rain. A model by European forecaster ECMWF shows extremely low pressure over the UK on December 25, suggesting turbulent conditions. Other forecasters said next week will be wet and windy.

Michael Dukes, of weather firm MetDesk, said: ‘It looks very much like it won’t be a white Christmas for most of us, with the possible exception of northern hills and mountains.  'It’s still a little too far off for much in the way of detail, but current indications are that the Christmas period will be very unsettled and often wet or stormy.’ The Met Office said Christmas week was likely to be ‘unsettled’, but emphasised that it is not yet possible to say exactly what the weather will be like on each day.

Posted

Posted Imagegfs-2-186.png

ever the optomist

Does the snowflake have to touch the ground? If one falls, I don't think it'll ever reach the floor with all the wind :D

I've got an Irish sea crossing on the 30th - hope that's not too bad! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Wind for London & South East England :

Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth, West Sussex & Southampton

Heavy rain and gales will affect South and West Wales, South West England and some southern coastal counties of England on Wednesday evening. Gusts will reach 50 to 60 mph quite widely, with 70 mph gusts likely in exposed coastal areas. Heavy rain may also cause some localised flooding across parts of Wales and South West England. The rain will clear and strongest winds will ease by the early hours of Thursday morning.

The public should be aware of the potential for minor disruption.

Issued at:

1137 on Tue 17 Dec 2013

Valid from:

1500 on Wed 18 Dec 2013

Valid to:

2359 on Wed 18 Dec 2013

A deep area of low pressure will pass close to North West Scotland during Wednesday evening, extending bands of heavy rain and gales across many areas from Wednesday afternoon into Thursday morning. Strongest gusts are likely in coastal areas exposed to the southerly winds. Heaviest rain will be on high ground in the west, with the potential for both river and surface water flooding.

• Like 1

Posted

I've got an Irish sea crossing on the 30th - hope that's not too bad! Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

'....... i blame the brussel sprouts

Not in this house they are off the menu ....anyway it's usually the dog ! Afternoon MAF :-)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

I'm feeling very festive today - it's our last day off together until the 25th so we are making the most of it - the polar bears were getting a bit warm in the sunshine......

Posted Imageimage.jpg

....maybe it's time to start re writing the words to some favourite seasonal songs ......

Oh, the weather outside is frightful

A frost would be delightful

But the GFS says no

Let It blow!Let It Blow!! Let It Blow!!

Oh, it doesn't show signs of stopping

And theres no chance of the temperature dropping

Yet another Atlantic low

Let It Blow! ! Let It Blow! Let It Blow!!

Love it

• Like 1

Posted

The worst of it still seems to be late Wednesday/early Thursday:

post-6667-0-27834800-1387292936_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-50316500-1387293037_thumb.gi

Posted

Hello all!

AS

'Noon Abs, how's tricks?

• Like 2