Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The 12z GEFS that are the closest to UKMO at T132 are by T240 rather uninspiring. They are all zonal but the flow is more NW to SE but it is mainly stalling LP systems and by then the block is still further east. thus precipitation for most is in the form of rain.

So the Met update for a possible 2-3 day cold period for the M4 north with some snow for altitude and northernness looks spot on from current GEFS, though this is based on only a relative small sample.

The 12z ensembles for London: post-14819-0-76729700-1390501115_thumb.g

No trend towards a cold/icy/snowy period. Slightly below average uppers with snow chances in FI just a background signal. However none of the three clusters at T132 are synoptically good long term for snow. All ties in with the expert's views (Met).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just to reiterate how confusing things might seem, when we're all chasing FI synoptics and looking out into February given the anticipated Atlantic breakthrough. The "here and now" hasn't actually changed much as you can see from my post two days ago shown below. 

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79144-model-output-discussion-19th-january-2014-18z-onwards/?p=2902374

FWIW the East meets West battle is continuing with today's runs so far pushing things further West i.e. the block holding things back and allowing for potential undercutting lows (as per Saturday), unlike two days ago. This battle IMHO will be played out for many a day yet and yes, next week looks much colder than the current spell, where in Newbury I've received a day max of 7.2c, colder still out East. Just how cold next week gets remains to be seen, as it is on a knife-edge regarding potential snowfall signals, but at least they are there. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

To busy arguing whether the met office long range is right or wrong

I agree @ 96 ECM

What we want to see

Looking good so far

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 3

Posted

Tonights ECM 12Z has strengthened the blocking over the arctic considerably for day 5 when compared with yesterday,which results in everything backing west.

yesterday..Posted ImageECH1-144.gif  today..Posted ImageECH1-120.gif

Yup, back on topic that is a great chart - we almost have the Arctic-Scandi link up... Is Winter starting to finally wake up.... ?

If the models continue that pattern there's only one way it's going to turn out, and thats a cold Easterly flow.

I think Ian F mentioned something regarding the temperatures across Germany the other day?

Quite so, but the drop in WBFL to 400m by early hrs Mon is striking. More striking still, as the UKMO Dep Chief includes in his briefing, is the temperature contrast he highlights across former E Germany, noting this is important "...should the winds turn easterly next week...".

Edited by Glenn W
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

It might not be much but the Azores doesn`t nudge in on this run (So far).

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Much better across the pole from the ECM, energy isn't spilling across from Siberia to feed the Canadian vortex.

Posted Image

By the way, I don't buy the quick retreat eastwards of the Scandi high to be honest

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted

the change in the polar blocking from the other side NH manages to cut off the lobe of vortex beuing passed across to canada from siberia. will be interesting to see how the canadian vortex looks by day 10 if the split remains intact for the rest of the run

captain beat me to it !

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Not bad , I'm honestly going for an upgrade here , v soon ecm 144post-18793-0-17637400-1390502314_thumb.gpost-18793-0-17637400-1390502314_thumb.g

Posted

Nothing very inspiring tonight from a coldies point of view.Next week may well

be rather cold with temps of 5c or 6c and some hill snow perhaps but nothing

in the way of proper winter weather,freeze etc.

It is certainly looking as if low land areas of the UK especially in the south

will have to wait until February for a chance of any proper cold weather ie

laying snow etc.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Quite a difference in the way the NH was modelled from this morning as expected but more improvements will be needed if we want the block to hold on longer.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Mucka

Posted

Mods can we split the thread into 3 parts, mild point of view, cold point of view and the pro's view ?

• Like 5

Posted

Mods can we split the thread into 3 parts, mild point of view, cold point of view and the pro's view ?

This. Mods, please feel free to delete this post, but I have to agree with Wadey. As a novice I get very confused Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

Quite a difference in the way the NH was modelled from this morning as expected but more improvements will be needed if we want the block to hold on longer.

Indeed but we don't want BOOM chats appearing just yet, they almost always go POP, better to have slowly slowly catch a monkey. Some fascinating outputs at the moment, it looks a bit of a case of rinse and repeat at 192hrs but that's a long way off and will be subject to much revision.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Crikey, this would be very wet and possibly snowy for the lucky ones

Posted Image

so, so tight this one, a little more push towards favouring the block and this set up could be epic.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

I think you'll find we already have three areas to post regarding models folks.....

There's also a dedicated Met office discussion and your regionals if you want to know if it's going to snow on your patio.

• Like 7