Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Steve, I think you should expand on that. Are we talking no temps above zero?

steve is looking at the dutch ens. we will not have ice days in general next ten days unless we get snowfall and snowcover which i would now expect, though where remains uncertain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

You are my friend!! 

:) thought I would give you a mention......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Under 10 and proud of it. Mean at T144.

Posted Image

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

I really hope weve seen the back of this for a long while......first snow of winter here today..more please..Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

I think this shows what Steve is referring to...

Posted Image

Now I am sure that most of them do not get that cold for us, but it certainly is a big swing in the ensembles and would suggest that there is a great deal of potential for more significant cold to be had. I would be interested to see the London ensembles as that will indicate better how many of the members transfer the cold over to the UK for such a period of time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Hi all

I'm just returning to the JMA for a moment, as I thought it helpful to re-clarify how UKMO view it / use it / compare it while preparing medium-range forecasts.

As I said before, it's a great model; highly rated and I've heard it argued that it is better than GFS in many respects.

The following comments from one of the longstanding Chief Forecasters at Exeter were kindly sent to me today in response to some questions I asked him, which hopefully offer better insight (PS for those unfamiliar with our 'lingo' the FSXX region means the FAX chart region covered by UKMO synoptic charts):

"The JMA performs well over the North Atlantic region in the long term stats, probably a little better than GFS for the FSXX region. The main problem for us is the data, we don't see the latest main run until after the 2-3 day guidance is done... (however) The T+96 and T+120 MSLP are available to feed into the mix for the day 4-5 Met Office forecast which leans more heavily on MOGREPS, ECMWF EPS and the NCEP ensemble."

Thanks again Ian, next week looks WICKEDPosted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Hi all

I'm just returning to the JMA for a moment, as I thought it helpful to re-clarify how UKMO view it / use it / compare it while preparing medium-range forecasts.

As I said before, it's a great model; highly rated and I've heard it argued that it is better than GFS in many respects.

The following comments from one of the longstanding Chief Forecasters at Exeter were kindly sent to me today in response to some questions I asked him, which hopefully offer better insight (PS for those unfamiliar with our 'lingo' the FSXX region means the FAX chart regixon covered by UKMO synoptic charts):

"The JMA performs well over the North Atlantic region in the long term stats, probably a little better than GFS for the FSXX region. The main problem for us is the data, we don't see the latest main run until after the 2-3 day guidance is done... (however) The T+96 and T+120 MSLP are available to feed into the mix for the day 4-5 Met Office forecast which leans more heavily on MOGREPS, ECMWF EPS and the NCEP ensemble."

good stuff IF. And the data issues are the problem with the jap) mod however its begins to be a leader model, more so currently, and if that's in stone then on a possible cols perspective its quite possibly onwards/upwards. !

Posted

Now I am sure that most of them do not get that cold for us, but it certainly is a big swing in the ensembles and would suggest that there is a great deal of potential for more significant cold to be had. I would be interested to see the London ensembles as that will indicate better how many of the members transfer the cold over to the UK for such a period of time.

my word an outlier if there ever was one!!scary!!
  • Like 2

Posted

Thanks again Ian, next week looks WICKEDPosted Image

Yeah, I'm not convinced we are even close to resolving some key issues especially mid-later next week. I'm aware of varying outcomes being considered. Anyway, let's see how it unfolds between runs tonight and end of the weekend. Understandably, everyone this end is focused on the looming issues now to end of Sunday.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I really hope weve seen the back of this for a long while......first snow of winter here today..more please..Posted Image

It's an equation.... nuff said.

The snow would be just about up to my husband's eyebrows based on those accumulation charts - thanks guys. If we lived in the West Country, he'd be buried and I'd have to call out a St Bernard.

Posted Image

Please let the accumulation match the depth of cold IMBY, St Bernard, if you are the patron saint of snow.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Yeah, I'm not convinced we are even close to resolving some key issues especially mid-later next week. I'm aware of varying outcomes being considered. Anyway, let's see how it unfolds between runs tonight and end of the weekend. Understandably, everyone this end is focused on the looming issues now to end of Sunday.

and rightly so,which is also compelling viewing as well, just a shame it will bring nightmare situations to some.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Early changes in 18z GFS....Low to SW of Iceland wrapped tighter and pressure lower over Med

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

steve is looking at the dutch ens. we will not have ice days in general next ten days unless we get snowfall and snowcover which i would now expect, though where remains uncertain.

Thanks for that mate. That`s ok for an Easterly feed but considering we also have the North sea between us and De Bilt, a little risky to put hopes on that/there.

Edit: Rather than posting again, the more I look at the 1947 chart with today`s ECM, the more it looks extremely similar. Posted earlier.

Edited by StuieW
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

As many of you have said the ECM mean outputs are quite cold and a bit of a surprise to be honest.

Beyond day 6 they bring in -5C uppers down through much of the UK and keep us cold to the end.

post-2026-0-66672100-1390513188_thumb.gipost-2026-0-16027900-1390513202_thumb.gi

The Op run a little milder mixing out the colder air later on as the subsequent low comes se.

A really interesting period coming up with that block showing it.s persistence next week so a straightforward evolution to westerlies is very much in the balance.

An increasing chance of more widespread snowfall if anything like the ECM evolution came about i would think once that colder air comes in.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

yes as again ( ashot in the dark ) in forecasting terms Sunday 00, onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Under 10 and proud of it. Mean at T144.

Posted Image

Over the US they expect a prolonged cold surge with PV similar to what we see with 'repeat' pattern.  I think we may see this block not going anywhere fast as that snapshot suggests if it repeats.....its all to play for and probably we are in a better/best position this winter for a 'shot'.

An acquaintance of mine has gone for first two weeks of Feb to be coldest period of winter....and cold period too timed with big cold shot for US.  We shall see. 

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted

If the 00z ECM and ensembles are similar to this evenings 12z - I expect some happy coldies posting on here tommorow lunchtime when the Metoffice release their update!

• Like 2

Posted

Good innit ?? I dont think I have seen any posts on here or other threads modelwise or not, that have predicted todays snow showers which surely means that next week will see even better. Its ok people saying "well we did mention there may be somethin "wintery" but me and a few other people didnt see that. With the models predicting colder temps after the weekend maybe even more of us will see some "snow showers"

Indeed. I think it's a stretch to say it was forecast. Re: the ECM interesting to learn the Op run was a mild outlier. It's a war of attrition this - meanwhile next week looks chilly for those of us in the East while somewhere in the north-west midlands might get a decent dump of snow

If the 00z ECM and ensembles are similar to this evenings 12z - I expect some happy coldies posting on here tommorow lunchtime when the Metoffice release their update!

The Office have been very reluctant to even flirt with cold this winter - and they have been pretty much bang on (tonight possibly excepted). We will see what tomorrow brings..
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Indeed. I think it's a stretch to say it was forecast. Re: the ECM interesting to learn the Op run was a mild outlier. It's a war of attrition this - meanwhile next week looks chilly for those of us in the East while somewhere in the north-west midlands might get a decent dump of snowThe Office have been very reluctant to even flirt with cold this winter - and they have been pretty much bang on (tonight possibly excepted). We will see what tomorrow brings..

Nothing suggesting that just yet, these charts are still FI, until GFS gets fully on board I will not be convinced, waiting for 00Z's, advantage is it's not mid Dec to mid Jan,

• Like 1

Posted

can we get our heads around this fact - the op was a warm outlier for holland. it was likely not a warm outlier for the uk. all the ecm ens members took an easterly feed into holland middle next week. for whatever, reason , the op and control are less cold than the ens for a few days. towards the end, thats because the op and control have a deeper system coming in than the ens. there are doubtless other reasons before. i would ignore it as being 'strange'.  what you need to know is that all 51 ens members bring an easterly to holland next wed/thurs and thats impressive. it means the mean charts for this side of the channel are probably not too far from accurate at a similar timescale.

• Like 8

Posted

Tsk Tsk.....You missed out the following... Ian Brown, for comedy value of his mild rampsOON, for sarcastic put downs (my hero)Frosty, you post a spanish plume and he'll show you a beast from the east perturbation as he's that dedicated to the cause

A couple of other notable omissions were Mucka for his informed and realistic optimism and Snowking with his MJO composites etc who helps fill the gap left by GP - just wish he posted a bit more often!It's interesting that yet again the block to the east seems far more difficult to break down than the models first portray. It's a situation that we have seen a number of times over the last few years. Is there a particular reason the models find this scenario difficult?
  • Like 1