Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

First proper foggy morning here. Minimum of 3.3C, currently 9.2C with thick fog.

Posted

I'll tell you what is enjoying this calm dry weather more than anything..........spiders!

I have never seen such impressive spiders webs first thing in the morning. One length of web was about 3 metres long this morning, stretching from the wing mirror of my car to a tree branch yards away.

I hope they are finding plenty of insects to eat or their industry will have been for nothing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

It's been a lovely few days! Nippy enough in the mornings though. A nice 16 degrees with clear blue skies :).

Posted

Like you all, been really enjoying the clear skies and relative warmth! Pity it has to end soon. Here's to 4 weeks of Autumnal stuff, and then deep deep cold for 8 weeks please! Cheers mother Nature!

• Like 2

Posted

The sun managed to break through the fog/cloud today, unlike yesterday which ended up as the coldest Autumn day so far here. At least the good weather will last through the weekend this time!

• Like 1

Posted

Indeed Pom, it was 16 degrees yesterday here, incredible for this time of year, and I haven't used the tumble dryer or heating yet this Autumn!!! :-)

• Like 1

Posted

It's gonna be a cold one tonight. 6.7C already, temperature has dropped 5C in the last 2 hours!

Posted

Nice frosty morning, minimum of 0.2C, currently 0.6C with blue skies.

Posted

First sub 0C air temperautres in Ireland since May 13th according to ME

https://twitter.com/METclimate/status/653886849795158016

#ClimateDatabase shows no #SubZeroAirTemps since Wed #13May (-0.2°C Mayo) to today Tue #13Oct (lowest -1.3°C Roscommon)

• Like 1

Posted

Took a little trip up the Knockmealdowns this evening. I may have gotten a little sun burnt, but it was very nice!

46SHuO4.jpg?1

• Like 4

Posted

Another foggy start here with a little grass frost. Minimum of 1.3C, currently 3.7C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

I'm back from my summer slumber lol.

Still haven't recorded below 0 yet lowest recorded so far was this morning at 1.1 with a nice ground frost.

It's been a lovely autumn so far much nicer than the summer lol.

That reminds me I need to change my location I moved in the spring.

Edited by gary1365

Posted

Welcome back Gary!

The mildest morning is a while here, currently 8.1C after a low of 7.8C. Some big contrasts on Met Eireann's station reports at 8am, ranging from 12C in Valentia to -1C in Sligo.

Posted

Can't help but focus on the cold pool in the Atlantic. Maybe due to all the media attention. I definitely feel that we will have at least one major cold spell this winter. Initially from the N\NW then a major cold spell from the E\NE into the second half if Winter. In the mean time Autumn so far has been brilliant. Cold and chrisp. One thing I have noticed it most trees are still in full leaf and colour due to the lack of storms and wind. A wee bit of a change later this week then a ridge of high pressure building again from the South. High pressure being a big focal point lately. Maybe something that will be common this winter and hopefully in the right places.

Edited by ronan
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

i reckon perhaps a decent winter this year or average at worst. The cold pool in the atlantic is bound to have some bearing one would presume.

Also winters 85-86,90-91,95-96,2000-2001,2005-2006 and 2010-2011, none of which could be described as mild. Most of our best cold spells since the mid 80s came in many of these winters. Next winter in this sequance is 2015-16. Not very scientific but does seem to be a bit coincidental imo.

Of course winter 2009-2010 was a cold winter and is the only other winter along with 86-87 i can think of that was any use apart from most of those already mentioned since the mid 80s. But the vast majority of decent cold spells and cold snaps since the mid 80s have occurred during the squence i mentioned.

Just a thought anyway.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 4

Posted

Understandably very quiet in here. Boring weather at the minute and nothing notable showing on the charts yet. To me this is a good thing as seeing good charts this early is pointless. I just have a feeling that once we head towards the end of November there will big switch in things. I always speculate about winter but have a good feeling about this one!