Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 31/07/14 onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

So what has been a lovely summer ,August has done us a bad deal , no point in arguing that fact the month will go on a negative note for heat lovers ..... :rolleyes:

post-6830-0-09380800-1408477027_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-70767000-1408477072_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Looking at the T120hrs charts suggests that most of us may yet squeeze a decent weekend out of the modeled ridge.

post-2026-0-94257700-1408476450_thumb.gipost-2026-0-73436200-1408476464_thumb.gipost-2026-0-84960400-1408476482_thumb.gi

The charts showing the Atlantic low with it's attendant fronts closing in to the west overnight Sunday now.

We lose the chilly northerly by the end of Friday and as winds drop off temperatures have a chance to recover with values back up towards 20c in the south in the late Summer sunshine.

A window of fine weather to enjoy over the BH weekend before the Atlantic south westerlies move in at the start of next week which will see more normal temperatures but with changeable conditions.

post-2026-0-90451500-1408477094_thumb.gi

The NOAA 6-10 day anomaly chart above indicating the pattern going into next week

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Tonight's Ecm 12z op shows an improvement by the weekend as we finally lose any remaining influence of the scand trough and a ridge of high pressure builds in from the west bringing drier and sunnier weather with lighter winds but still with chilly nights, however, by the end of sunday, low pressure is cranking up to the west of the uk as the ridge subsides..this takes us into BH Monday or should that be BH Moan day since it turns wet and windy from the west, not much change by tuesday either with low pressure still over the uk but a bit further east, at least temperatures recover early next week with warmer upper air wrapped up within that low. The rest of next week stays unsettled, especially further north, the south seeing weak pressure rises with some longer dry and brighter spells but then another trough swinging down from the north west later next week with a dig of cool, unstable polar air, much as we have now...pretty autumnal in my opinion.

post-4783-0-24978000-1408477146_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-93314100-1408477243_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-26522300-1408477355_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted

Latest for the middle f next week.

The anomaly charts are still showing broad agreement  Trough east/west across the UK, warm air NE North America and cold pool over Greenland.

Leading to cyclonic development over the UK although the GFS is more bullish with the low than the ECM so by Thursday there is the hint of the Azores ridge edging in from the SW. Temps are about average with the usual caveat that it may be quite warm the further south you are.

Further ahead both the GFS and ECM are going for a more homogeneous zonal flow and developing the Azores high but that's in lulu land at the moment.

post-12275-0-81995700-1408483653_thumb.g

post-12275-0-79119100-1408483662_thumb.g

post-12275-0-37345800-1408483679_thumb.p

post-12275-0-03822500-1408483691_thumb.p

post-12275-0-54773000-1408483701_thumb.p

post-12275-0-40422900-1408483711_thumb.p

post-12275-0-09432600-1408483720_thumb.p

post-12275-0-54717700-1408483728_thumb.p

post-12275-0-95388300-1408483739_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

This morning’s GFS for the BH weekend

Saturday

Low 992mb mid Atlantic and another  1002mb Oslo with a ridge just to the west of the UK. The east of the UK is under the influence of the Oslo low with the west the ridge. Temps not brilliant mid to high 60s but much lower in northern Scotland.

Sunday

The low now 998mb 400 miles west of Ireland with associated fronts much closer but high pressure is the order of the day for the UK. Temps around 70F in south east but 60F in northern Scotland.

Monday 1800z

Low now 995mb Irish Sea and a generally foul day for all of the UK. Temps struggling to mid 60s in England and mid 50s in northern Scotland.

Outlook

This apparent slowing down of  it’s surface evolution has a knock on effect into next week and the intense low originally forecast for Wednesday is no more and the chart on Saturday is an indicator for the weekend and rather puts the kybosh on the idea of a developing Azores ridge. But hey this is one run, one model, so just mention it out of interest considering the rapid change in the last 24 hours.

post-12275-0-93749900-1408513545_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

FI remains post Monday's LP systems. There has been lots of variations on how much energy arrives with the LP and consequently how these potential different LP masses react with the in situ flow. No different this morning. The LP on the GEFS has 100% support but how deep it lands, how fast it leaves and it's exit strategy remain uncertain.

This morning's London ensembles have the LP departing faster than last night with the hi-res switching camps to the quicker route:

0z: post-14819-0-73734800-1408516882_thumb.g yesterday"s 12z: post-14819-0-89998900-1408516926_thumb.g

So the GEFS by D8-9 are all over the place with three equal clusters offering a variety of solutions:

N/S split: post-14819-0-35068500-1408517257_thumb.p Transient ridging: post-14819-0-37420300-1408517278_thumb.p LP slowly moving east: post-14819-0-43020500-1408517300_thumb.p

With variations within those themes. GEM goes in the n/s cluster: post-14819-0-12216200-1408517368_thumb.p

ECM maintains the westerly flow though less active than recent runs: post-14819-0-53989100-1408517522_thumb.g

Into the GEFS and it is not till the first few days of September till there is a more concerted effort to build pressure over the UK, with about 33% going on by D16 to develop some interesting charts. One to watch to see if this can trend.

Sunday is the least coolest day for the BH weekend but with just average temps at best and those for the south. Saturday and Sunday look mainly dry, but Monday looks a washout with the low and its accompanying warm front.

The developing short wave feature tomorrow in Scotland edges south over 36 hours bringing heavy rain to the north but should be less of a problem the time it hits the south:

post-14819-0-47909900-1408518391_thumb.p

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 3

Posted

The GFS and ECM anomaly charts for the end of next week basically agree with the trough lying to the NW of the UK The jet zips around this upper low and south of the UK delaying for the moment any major push by the Azores ridge, So still looking at a cyclonic analysis but not on the scale of the GFS ops. Not much point in further detail at this range and this is just a dabble.

post-12275-0-22235700-1408525753_thumb.p

post-12275-0-67379900-1408525762_thumb.p

post-12275-0-44429300-1408525770_thumb.p

post-12275-0-63580700-1408525780_thumb.p

post-12275-0-36146400-1408525789_thumb.p

post-12275-0-36766600-1408525804_thumb.p

post-12275-0-25647200-1408525816_thumb.p

• Like 3

Posted

The GFS and ECM anomaly charts for the end of next week basically agree with the trough lying to the NW of the UK The jet zips around this upper low and south of the UK delaying for the moment any major push by the Azores ridge, So still looking at a cyclonic analysis but not on the scale of the GFS ops. Not much point in further detail at this range and this is just a dabble.

Yes changeable westerly type pattern is how i would describe itand seems to be well agreed by the outputs next week Knocker.

Meanwhile the T84hrs fax shows the modest and transient(48hrs?) ridge moving in by Saturday

post-2026-0-37826400-1408542831_thumb.gi

which should be just enough to dry things out with some sunshine but with cooler air still aloft no great heat but perhaps low 20'C for some further south.

After that the winds back towards a somewhat warmer south west ahead of Monday's modeled low.This will see temperatures nearer to normal but with rain or showers moving through at times.

• Like 2

Posted

Monday's area of low pressure is proving troublesome not only in the phasing, evolution and tracking but also the severe weather potential it could bring ie. wind, rain and again the potential of a few thunderstorms.  It needs close monitoring.  ECM-mean takes the centre of the low through Northern England with the strongest pressure gradient to the South across England and Wales, GFS operational offers up numerous solutions on the intensity of the system, the tracking and the exact evolution ie. A single primary low or the vigorous development of a secondary low within the parent low.  Quite complex but one thing is for sure Monday is looking rather Autumnal.

• Like 1

Posted

Monday's area of low pressure is proving troublesome not only in the phasing, evolution and tracking but also the severe weather potential it could bring ie. wind, rain and again the potential of a few thunderstorms.  It needs close monitoring.  ECM-mean takes the centre of the low through Northern England with the strongest pressure gradient to the South across England and Wales, GFS operational offers up numerous solutions on the intensity of the system, the tracking and the exact evolution ie. A single primary low or the vigorous development of a secondary low within the parent low.  Quite complex but one thing is for sure Monday is looking rather Autumnal.

Sorry but I don't understand " GFS ops offers up numerous solutions" bit. Isn't the ops giving it's solution or am I missing something?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

id advise against pinning too many hopes on fi predictions of a mini heatwave, the noaa anomaly 8-14 dayer is having non of it and unless it changes then id suggest itll not happen. sorry to be negetive, id prefer to call it realistic.

post-2797-0-41881900-1408549051_thumb.gi

ps..... one of the first lessons i learned on here was NOT to take fi seriously, it appears that in desperation some are trying to overlook that snippet of advice.

Posted

Sorry but I don't understand " GFS ops offers up numerous solutions" bit. Isn't the ops giving it's solution or am I missing something?

Certainly different solutions on the 06Z gfs ens members Knocker.

post-2026-0-80339500-1408551112_thumb.pn

I would think that's what the op meant?

Posted

Certainly different solutions on the 06Z gfs ens members Knocker.

I would think that's what the op meant?

Ah right another senior moment. I see the ops (meaning not the ens) at 12z has the low 1001mb over Nothern Ireland and pretty wet but not that windy at 12z Monday.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Monday looks and absolute horror show on the 12z GFS. I can deal with a bit of rain but under these temperatures, in August?!

Posted Image

That chart above shows a ridiculous contrast in temperatures over northern France as well, with some heavy rain to blame.

Posted Image

As Thermohaline Conveyor alluded to earlier, there is the prospect of a few thundery showers developing behind the front, chiefly in the south and west. CAPE + LI charts show a marked upgrade in potential compared to yesterdays 12z, which limited potential to Ireland only. However I can't shake the 'straw clutching' vibe off with this. It's all we got!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Deep into FI, the early September burst of warmth is still there, but it has been pushed back a day or so with a rather dreadful weekend to round off August.

Edited by mhielte
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the ECM has throw a very strange solution even at 4 days out

Posted Image

That second low in the Atlantic was not on its previous output or on the UKMO/GFS/GEM output this afternoon.

The consequence is a rather different chart for Monday

Posted Image

Slack, probably still with some rain around but not the wet and windy weather the other outputs suggest. Unless the ECM has thrown an absolute clanger, this drops certainty for the second half of the weekend and into next week.

ECM taking the mickey or onto something?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Posted Image

That second low in the Atlantic was not on its previous output or on the UKMO/GFS/GEM output this afternoon.

Posted Image

Slack, probably still with some rain around but not the wet and windy weather the other outputs suggest. Unless the ECM has thrown an absolute clanger, this drops certainty for the second half of the weekend and into next week.

Good catch CS,

ECM out on its own with its t+120 evolution. Very strange!

Conditions quieten down through Tuesday and Wednesday with high pressure influencing briefly before the Atlantic looks set to return for the latter part of the working week.

Posted Image

Posted Image

GFS has us under slack conditions Tuesday before a low skirts along the south coast on Wednesday, with the majority of the rain staying over the channel/continent.

Posted Image

GEM isn't having any of it :rolleyes: Comfortably the most unsettled model output for this week, with deep lows waiting in the wings later next week, with only the briefest of respites on Wednesday.

Posted Image

Navgem looks good, but tenuous IMO :)

Posted Image

Quite a bit of variance it must be said, with ECM throwing an interesting spanner in the works for the beginning of next week. Anything after t+120 is pure speculation with a lot of scenarios on offer *not all bad either!* :)

One could argue that the trend for increasing high pressure influence towards the south is there, albeit in FI.

Edited by mhielte

Posted

ps..... one of the first lessons i learned on here was NOT to take fi seriously, it appears that in desperation some are trying to overlook that snippet of advice.

I don't agree mushy, FI is a good place to spot potential trends, sometimes the models pick up on a signal for a pattern change from a few weeks out and occasionally it comes off. I think FI is a crystal ball to look for longer range heatwaves in summer and freezes in winter..when the reliable timeframe is dire, FI offers hope of better things to come. :)

• Like 2

Posted

Yes CS the anomaly has an upper low and has the main trough to the east and a ridge to the west which probably ex[plains the surface evolution. Await the ens me thinks

post-12275-0-36889200-1408560689_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted

Looking into the all important BH weekend, whilst saturday sees a ridge of high pressure building in, it's sunday which is the highlight with a dry and sunny day across much of the uk with light winds, after a cold start, temperatures recovering and a pleasantly warm afternoon with 18-21c being the expected range..turning wet and windier from the west on sunday night and into BH monday, monday looks like the worst kind of holiday with outbreaks of rain, and in the persistent and heavy bursts, feeling decidedly on the cold side with 8c as a maximum, but generally low to mid teens c and high teens for the southeast..sunday is the day to enjoy.

post-4783-0-72583100-1408561906_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-81950300-1408561926_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-84456700-1408561948_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-18973500-1408562002_thumb.pn

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Image

ECM taking the mickey or onto something?

Posted Image

Posted Image

When the ECM goes off on one at T168 I kind of ignore it, but if a change is afoot at T120 I always expect to see it first on the ECM. I don't actually consider the GFS to be that different from next Tuesday onwards, just with a minor disturbance mixed in, but the principle of building heights to the north of Scotland is also there. An interesting 24 hours of model watching ahead, perhaps?

If ECM did verify, 25C not unlikely by the end of next week in central/eastern parts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I don't agree mushy, FI is a good place to spot potential trends, sometimes the models pick up on a signal for a pattern change from a few weeks out and occasionally it comes off. I think FI is a crystal ball to look for longer range heatwaves in summer and freezes in winter..when the reliable timeframe is dire, FI offers hope of better things to come. :)

i dont disagree karl, i said fi shouldnt be taken seriously and i dont think anyone does do they?the point is that when something in fi gains support it no longer becomes fi. so yes, look for the trends, spot something new, but dont place too much faith in it varifying, if that was half accurate then forecasts would be alot more accurate long term.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Fantasy island is just that'' no trends can be made from that, Models agree a very unsettled spell of weather in the near future.......

• Like 1

Posted

Ooh its a chilly synoptical pattern for the rest of the week - the kind of charts I'd be very happy with in the depths of winter - indeed almost perfect a locked in northerly with arctic air maxima would be held down at freezing levels with the promise of a snowy frontal feature tomorrow then back to clear skies and deep frost for the weekend - then a major snowfall from the west, alas its August and instead just chilly sums it up.

However, pleasing to see the ridge looks like holding for Sunday keeping the frontal attack at bay. Monday could be decidedly chilly in the north with an onshore wind and heavy rain which will suppress air temps - the warmer air will take its time to filter through the cold layers which will have entrenched themselves for some time.

Longer term - mmm the models look a little uncertain but the theme appears to be an unsettled one with the atlantic ruling the roost but perhaps heights both to the north and south will cause the trough to unbuckle over the country becoming a slow slack feature - for some parts more so the NW and West a very wet affair could be the end result, southern and eastern parts may end up with some decent warmth and dry weather.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Well I agree with Frosty, Where else in the Models are you going to spot a new trend/pattern change in it's first instance ? 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2