Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 31/07/14 onwards.

Posted

The anomaly charts are quite interesting at the moment. Not sure what to make of them really. All 3 are showing changes to their long held view of a marked trough near the UK with an upper ridge to the west. Have a look yoursleves, NOAA first then this morning from EC and GFS.

I need a couple of more outputs from each of them to be sure, maybe not even then, as to what they are indicating.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

Remember this change only occurred in the past 24 hours or so, thus their indications out to about the 3rd week or so of  August are not affected, or that is how I would read them.

below is the one previous to the last issue

post-847-0-55375700-1408264139_thumb.png

• Like 1

Posted

I must admit to being a tad confused John as this mornings chart from the ECM doesn't seem to be similar to your link unless I'm missing something.

post-12275-0-16035300-1408265838_thumb.p

post-12275-0-81392200-1408266103_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes the West certainly looks to be winning out this morning after the cool Northerly next week, With any settled spell towards the end of the Month looking weaker and/if only a transient affair as the Polar Vortex wants to set-up over Greenland which will aid to swing Low's South off the Atlantic.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

This forum is usually the best gauge to highlight a change in weather conditions. It has been very quiet around these parts the last couple of days. The numerical models have all but squeezed the life from any lingering hopes that HP would take hold from in/around 20 August; the upcoming week looks much cooler than of recent times with showers for almost everyone. The following week should see us move back towards average temperatures/slightly below with more unsettled conditions persisting into Sept. By day 14, ECM ensembles indicate slight ridging from the Azores which could potentially settle us down - but that is a long way off at this stage.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Days 5-10 height anom/temp anom

Posted ImagePosted Image

Days 9-14 height anom/temp anom

• Like 7

Posted

I must admit to being a tad confused John as this mornings chart from the ECM doesn't seem to be similar to your link unless I'm missing something.

you could be right in that they do look different but then probably taken from different data sets perhaps.

I have never really used those you show K so I really cannot comment on them. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

The anomaly charts are quite interesting at the moment. Not sure what to make of them really. All 3 are showing changes to their long held view of a marked trough near the UK with an upper ridge to the west. Have a look yoursleves, NOAA first then this morning from EC and GFS.

I need a couple of more outputs from each of them to be sure, maybe not even then, as to what they are indicating.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

Remember this change only occurred in the past 24 hours or so, thus their indications out to about the 3rd week or so of  August are not affected, or that is how I would read them.

below is the one previous to the last issue

http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifnoaa last 6-10.png

indeed they are suggesting a shift from a nearby uk trough with a upper ridge to the west.... but arent they still suggesting an unsettled westerly  into next week ?

please correct me if im wrong!

Posted

indeed they are suggesting a shift from a nearby uk trough with a upper ridge to the west.... but arent they still suggesting an unsettled westerly  into next week ?

please correct me if im wrong!

they are

Posted

No post in 7 hours says it all - models not keen on showing a change to settled conditions anytime soon, after tentative signs a couple of days ago there may be a slight change to something more settled before the end of the month, it now looks like the atlantic will win out - meaning a preety unsettled last month of the summer and very disappointing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I think summer as we know it is over, we had an excellent june and july with lots of hot and humid weather but now the wheels have come off and it's turning a lot cooler with low humidity as polar air floods south. This is the best chart I could find on the entire Gfs 12z op run, just a small window of fine weather as a weak area of high pressure drifts across the uk next weekend, BH monday turning wet from the west and then unsettled for most of that week with depressions dive bombing in from the north west..autumn is here early..I hope wintry weather comes early this year too..roll on winter... it's so lifeless on here until winter comes  :D

post-4783-0-58624000-1408298333_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

No post in 7 hours says it all - models not keen on showing a change to settled conditions anytime soon, after tentative signs a couple of days ago there may be a slight change to something more settled before the end of the month, it now looks like the atlantic will win out - meaning a preety unsettled last month of the summer and very disappointing.

There's always hope for a little summer heat still to be had and if EN/GEFS no 5 comes around i certainly won't be moaning :)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edit.....I must admit though things are starting to look a little desperate.

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

There's always hope for a little summer heat still to be had and if EN/GEFS no 5 comes around i certainly won't be moaning :)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edit.....I must admit though things are starting to look a little desperate.

I agree it is looking rather desperate. At this time it's more apt to look for transient ridges that could lead to a more persistent building of high pressure. The more likely outcome can be deduced by looking at the jet stream forecast...

Posted Image

... I think the outcome will be that any high pressure ridging from the south over the coming week or so will stay transient and hopefully a day or so of pleasant conditions can coincide with a weekend day. Perhaps it's the best we can hope for at the moment. The jet is forecast to stay over the UK or slightly to the south whilst the Atlantic continues to feed us with unsettled weather.

Those of a convective persuasion might find something of interest to grasp once the northerly gets out of the way *even the showers forecast next week look rather tame!*  :sorry:

Edited by mhielte
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I agree it is looking rather desperate. At this time it's more apt to look for transient ridges that could lead to a more persistent building of high pressure. The more likely outcome can be deduced by looking at the jet stream forecast...

Posted Image

... I think the outcome will be that any high pressure ridging from the south over the coming week or so will stay transient and hopefully a day or so of pleasant conditions can coincide with a weekend day. Perhaps it's the best we can hope for at the moment. The jet is forecast to stay over the UK or slightly to the south whilst the Atlantic continues to feed us with unsettled weather.

Those of a convective persuasion might find something of interest to grasp once the northerly gets out of the way *even the showers forecast next week look rather tame!*  :sorry:

Hi mhielte,

Welcome to the forum :)

Yes a fair summary of the outlook certainly over the coming few days.

The Scandinavian trough only slowly easing away towards the end of the week.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Posted Image

A very big welcome from all of us at Netweather. I see this is your first post, and what a fantastic first post it is as well. Your contribution will be well appreciated. :good:

• Like 3

Posted

you could be right in that they do look different but then probably taken from different data sets perhaps.

I have never really used those you show K so I really cannot comment on them. 

I think I realise why John. Just happened to look at the15 day  Control run.

post-12275-0-47480900-1408302298_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the Scandi trough does look like easing away, but it does throw another wave of cooler air down on Friday, this along with a strengthening Atlantic jet look to diminish any chance of a completely dry and fine bank holiday.

Saturday looks reasonable, though the UKMO gives a chance of showers in the east.

Posted Image

GFS/ECM look dry.

Sunday shows more divergence with the ECM/GEM going for frontal systems pushing west to east on a strengthening south westerly wind

Posted Image

GFS looks fairer

Posted Image

Monday looks fine and increasingly warm for the east, rain steadily pushing in from the west

Posted Image

Again the ECM/GEM are more unsettled

Posted Image

Interestingly the ECM/GEM have thrown up a similar longwave pattern to this week, the only difference is the 500 mile shift west, so if we get here then we could see a considerable warm up with a broad south to south westerly flow setting up in response to robust heights building over Europe and an associated trough developing in the Atlantic. Both ECM/GEM show this

Posted Image

Still rain for the north western half of the UK though.

So there is the chance of an improving picture, especially so the further south and east you are.

Before then a mix of sunshine and showers with occasional longer spells of rain with temperatures below normal.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Two thirds of summer have been excellent. very warm and well above average sunshine hours, and then came along August to put a spoiler on the Summer :closedeyes: Ive got no good news for heat lovers unfortunately, but the briefest of ridges by Saturday. As for summer weather over, Yes indeed, but Im sure there will be some fine weather to come during September and even October. :closedeyes:

post-6830-0-35669900-1408303458_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-02703100-1408303487_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Thanks for the welcome  :good:

Some excellent summaries of current output above; it really helps further the understanding of our weather for learning amateurs like myself. Given the cold shot next week, a return to average temperatures and the occasional drier/sunnier interlude thereafter might feel quite nice!

Captain Shortwave highlights an important difference show on the ECM & GEM tonight. A S or SW flow would lead to predominantly fine conditions for the south and east (in case anyone is off on a late holiday!)  :unknw:

Posted

Posted Image

Those of a convective persuasion might find something of interest to grasp once the northerly gets out of the way *even the showers forecast next week look rather tame!* :sorry:

This jet forecast demonstrates well that August looks in trouble if it's settled warm weather you want. It will be hard for a ridge to build for long enough to pull heat from southern Europe to northern Europe, so even the dry days may have chilly starts and average temperatures. Of course, southern areas only need modest upgrades to see substantially more summery weather, but northern areas increasingly look as if they will go through the whole of August with no hot and sunny days at all
  • Like 1

Posted

The ECM ops has got very excited this morning.

The anomaly for Sunday has an intense upper low mid Atlantic with a strong blocking high NE America. These two systems funnel the jet around and it ends up bang over the UK bringing a stong westerly pattern for the BH weekend.

So, lower than average temps and after the transient ridge on Saturday low pressure moves in bringing unsettled weather

post-12275-0-72486500-1408344533_thumb.p

post-12275-0-58606000-1408344542_thumb.p

post-12275-0-17272500-1408344553_thumb.p

post-12275-0-08444400-1408344564_thumb.p

post-12275-0-60526000-1408344572_thumb.p

post-12275-0-91803000-1408344581_thumb.p

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

"Low pressure moves in bringing unsettled weather"

Really?

Posted Image

That's decent for England and Wales, fine and very warm with the 8C isotherm moving in on Sunday and covering England and Wales into the following week with the 12C isotherm pushing into the south midweek.

Posted Image

If the ECM verifies then summer may close on a high.

The most positive solution this morning but it's pretty close to last nights operational and all in all a decent run for the south as we get the Euro high/Atlantic trough pattern establishing. The GEM barges the high over the Eastern seaboard towards us which results in a different solution and another UK trough before that same high crosses the UK at the end of the run.

Posted Image

The GFS again shows a mostly fine weekend with the approaching low being much slower than the other models.

Posted Image

All the models show heights lowering considerably over Greenland which will drive a pattern change from what we see this week. So probably a westerly pattern establishing but with uncertainties to where the jet will lie. 

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

A D10 chart from ECM? I suppose one will come off eventually. However it had no support last night from its ensembles:http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifEDM0-240-2.GIF

A D10 Ecm chart has more chance than a GFS D10 chart in my opinion, Ecm is the best model IMO so if the models show it and I think it has a good chance..I will show it! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO offers some hope for a couple of settled days during the weekend with some chilly nights for the time of year before low pressure returns from the west

Improvements from the west on Saturday

Posted ImagePosted Image

Settled for most on Sunday

Posted ImagePosted Image

With some sunshine and lighter winds it should feel warmer than of late even though temperatures wouldn't be anything special on the thermometer

• Like 1