Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere Autumn/Winter 2014

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

Chinese whispers I think!

I think the source of this stems from exacta weathers Facebook page as madden posted something similar along with a link to a daily express article......must be true then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

The MetO have told councils across the country to prepare for a very cold winter this year. Winter preparedness at its finest LOL

I would imagine councils are told every bloody year to "prepare" for a cold winter...as much as any other possible severe weather scenario that could occur.

Almost as bad as the posts on here you get saying "my dads, friends son works in a well known weather forecasting company, which I won't name for security reasons and said 3 months of constant blizzards are coming"

Whatever.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

In light of no natice link, there is always the Cryosphere link

From which I have the following imagery.

post-7183-0-52001600-1414078233_thumb.pn

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

In light of no natice link, there is always the Cryosphere link

From which I have the following imagery.

attachicon.gif221014 cryosphere image.png

I don't think that updated. It's the same snow cover on the image from the 21st too!

20141021.jpg

Posted

I don't think that updated. It's the same snow cover on the image from the 21st too!

20141021.jpg

Wish they'd get their fingers out, are there any other sites we can visit for the same thing?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

20141021.jpg

Perhaps we're frozen in time:rofl:

Cheers BFTV, you're probably right but I do try my best to lift the mood in here.  Sometimes there will be negative postings and sometimes positive postings just like the ups and downs of the snow and ice coverage in fact. What will become of it all I wonder, time is slowly ticking and my personal interest period is looming.  :friends:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted

What country,Russia!

do you have a link KL,thanks.

Lol is the word 1 day of this like this would be nice, heavy Autumn snow in China  http://www.euronews.com/nocomment/2014/10/21/heavy-autumn-snow-blankets-mohe-city-china/

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

It's not. The SH jet is moving closer to the south pole and becoming stronger.

For example, the AAO (Antarctic version of the AO) has become more positive in recent years (tighter more poleward jet stream), while the AO has become more negative.

Below is the 10 Year Avg AAO since 1988 (starts at 1988 because the AAO data I have only goes back to 1979)

qgr6Ac0.jpg

10 Year Avg AO since 1988

rO2LtZa.jpg

See what I mean?

Yes I see that BFTV, but the pronounced meandering of the jetstream with accompanying unusual and extreme weather events are being experienced in the SH like we have up here. 

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

I like the way the ice is pushing towards Iceland again this year, any chance of a ice bridge?!! :good: http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/cgi-bin/seaice-monitor.cgi?lang=e

post-15601-0-85107100-1414120080_thumb.p

Russia looking nippy in places; Moscow the same latitude as Edinburgh -9deg C tomorrow and  at the same latitude as Dundee is  http://www.yr.no/place/Russia/Sverdlovsk/Yekaterinburg/

Bigger picture http://www.yr.no/kart/#lat=67.99402&lon=33.83789&zoom=3&laga=temp&proj=900913

Edited by LincolnSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

They need to fix the site!

By the time it is fixed it will have all melted away..   :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

all_EHem.png

The big question is how much of that is south of 60N. I'm hearing about 8msk.

With regards to your chart that's great and its also worth noting that our October gain could end up around 14msk according to some estimates which would put it in the company of 68, 76 and 09, the three most negative winter AO's and all Nino's like this winter with all -QBO's.

Seems that a -QBO, +MEI is a solid pattern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

multisensor_4km_ea_snow_ice_map_syn_fulr

Do you have a link for that site please?

Does anyone know what has happened to the usual source for European snowcover and Arctic ice maps?

I used to just type "European snow cover" in my browser and it was first link for access to great maps but first the server went down now it is not even listed ina Google search?

Posted

Do you have a link for that site please?

Does anyone know what has happened to the usual source for European snowcover and Arctic ice maps?

I used to just type "European snow cover" in my browser and it was first link for access to great maps but first the server went down now it is not even listed ina Google search?

NESDIS problems are still ongoing. Because the server is offline for a while it no longer shows up on google search results.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

NESDIS problems are still ongoing. Because the server is offline for a while it no longer shows up on google search results.

Okay thanks. I have shot them email to see if I can get information as the link/server that hosts the information has been down for some time yet their website still functions and they have not even provided information that the links are down.

Edited by Mucka

Posted

The image date is 19th October - no more up to date than the other charts we had. I suppose this satellite/server outage will be affecting all sources of snow - ice - SST data.

There is always the forecast charts on Instant weather maps to have a look at.

• Like 1

Posted

This might be a useful link for those wishing to do their research on these snow and ice anomalies.

http://nsidc.org/soac/snow-cover.html#snowcover

Assuming nobody has posted it up before, apologies if that is the case.

• Like 1

Posted

Unfortunately, there will be a lot of snow cover loss in the closing days of October! You can see all three models having a westerly with +5 uppers from the European side of Russia all the way to Central Russia.

The MetO have told councils across the country to prepare for a very cold winter this year. Winter preparedness at its finest LOL

having watched a lot of work done outside by the electric board the manager told me that winter forcast given to the guys who fix the overhead lines etc is for a mild and wet winter up here in fife, scotland.

i hope they are way off the mark lol

Posted

winter struck early in Bulgaria640x480_1414241875.jpgand Romania5490343-mediafax-foto-gabriel-fluerariu.

And this happened with upper air temperatures between -2 and -4 (850hpa)! That's the beauty of living in the continent. In the UK it would just be rain thanks to the moderating effect of the sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The latest weekly sea ice extent update is here https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/74411-arctic-ice-data-and-stats/?p=3060110

• Like 2