Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Autumn/Winter 2014/15.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

I thought at this time of year a lot of people would be interested in knowing that over 1/3 of the u.k landmass has had several days of falling and lying snow.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

here's a ramp for ya....

Phrroar!!...... a sexy chart for coldies

post-4149-0-90832900-1418584471_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I thought at this time of year a lot of people would be interested in knowing that over 1/3 of the u.k landmass has had several days of falling and lying snow.

.... But it only applies to those who have it. Those who dont cant claim it. And has been pointed out, its not unusual for the scottish highlands to get wintry weather whilst the rest of the uk is relatively mild.

• Like 1

Posted

1/3 of the UK landmass has not had lying snow. There has been very little lying snow at all in Scotland away from the Highlands and High Ground. 

Here, in Britain's snowiest city, there has been no lying snow since 19th November 2013 which is ridiculous and unprecedented to go so long without snow on the ground. Apart from a few flakes of dandruff the other night all there has been this month is cold rain and not even much of that. It's just been bone dry with a relentless nasty cold wind that smacks you in the face every time you go outside. As much as I am longing to see proper hard frosts and snowy winter wonderland scenes I welcomed the milder temperatures today because it made the wind feel less unpleasant.

It really has been an atrocious December so far. Because the wind never lets up it's barely dropped below freezing at night. A low of just -1.1C so far and 12.6 hours of frost. It's going to be the least wintry first half of December since 2006 here.

Edited by Richard2901

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!

How many more blocked charts like these is the CFS gonna throw out at us...?

cfsnh-4-1-2015.png?18cfsnh-4-2-2015.png?18cfsnh-4-3-2015.png?18

Posted

Taking a break from the charts this week, in fact might not bother till after Christmas now, another weatherless 10 days at least on the way here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Taking a break from the charts this week, in fact might not bother till after Christmas now, another weatherless 10 days at least on the way here.

Don't look that bad, doesn't seem to scream washout, miles better than low after low on a southerly tracking jet, meaning 4C and rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

How many more blocked charts like these is the CFS gonna throw out at us...?

cfsnh-4-1-2015.png?18cfsnh-4-2-2015.png?18cfsnh-4-3-2015.png?18

Yeah but isn't that just from the 18z run of that particular day? - I've seen many a run on the 9 month model which shows nothing of the sort - I think your just cherry picking so you can hold a grudge against the CFS v2!

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!

Yeah but isn't that just from the 18z run of that particular day? - I've seen many a run on the 9 month model which shows nothing of the sort - I think your just cherry picking so you can hold a grudge against the model!

Well, we must of been viewing it differently then because i have seen quite a few blocked charts from the CFS as of late. Especially February. And i hope it continues that way because there is nobody who would love to see a blocked last two thirds of Winter more than me.

And i'm not one for holding a grudge at all, so your suggestion of me holding a grudge against a LR model is laughable.

Edited by SE Blizzards

Posted

I am a lover of cold and snowy winters. However, I'm afraid looking at the charts for the up coming 10 to 14 days and possibly beyond, I can see very little wintry weather for the majority of the UK. We are now in a dominate westerly wind direction which will keep the conditions fairly average for the rest of the month.

Let's hope europe goes into the freezer fairly soon with cold from the east, then we will see a pattern change and the best chance of something more wintry in the UK come the new year .....This I feel will happen.

To keep the faith, for centuries the true winter period starts December 21- so don't be fooled by any organisation that in recent times start the winter period December 1.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I

To keep the faith, for centuries the true winter period starts December 21- so don't be fooled by any organisation that in recent times start the winter period December 1.

Centuaries? The romans and celts used the meterological dates we use now. Besides hasnt the last two weeks been wintry? Dec1 is a sensible date as this year has proven.

Posted

Centuaries? The romans and celts used the meterological dates we use now. Besides hasnt the last two weeks been wintry? Dec1 is a sensible date as this year has proven.

What of the Romans ever done for us!! .....Lol.

• Like 1

Posted

keep the faith, for centuries the true winter period starts December 21- so don't be fooled by any organisation that in recent times start the winter period December 1.

but we are told we now have a warming climate which we didnt have over those centuries :whistling:  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

for Scotland perhaps, but for the south winter tends to be mainly 2nd half of Jan, all of Feb and early Mar

not many years I wouldn't have thought the first 3 weeks of Dec have had very cold weather/snow in the south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Interesting BBC weekly forecast went out to xmas week. I have seen them not go out beyond T48 in some years re xmas forecast

is this due as Fergie says "remarkably low levels of (Shannon) entropy2  ??

• Like 1

Posted

Now what was that about the Azores High? Oh yes.......................I had a dream, I had a dream.........................

I believe that was one of two options knocker, but of course you wouldn't post the other now would you? Merry Christmas to you too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Well, we must of been viewing it differently then because i have seen quite a few blocked charts from the CFS as of late. Especially February. And i hope it continues that way because there is nobody who would love to see a blocked last two thirds of Winter more than me.

And i'm not one for holding a grudge at all, so your suggestion of me holding a grudge against a LR model is laughable.

Always seem to be a certain few willing to knock that model and if you've followed it's output as close as I have then what you have posted is a rogue run, back in mid-November for a short period regular blocking was being shown on various runs and quite regularly (particularly in Jan/Feb) but as the weeks have passed the model has generally dropped such scenario's and unfortunately continued with the Azores/near continent to the SE High pressure cell whilst at other times a low pressure dominated theme.

By the way nothing vindictive in my prior post towards yourself - just making a point :)

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted

Always seem to be a certain few willing to knock that model and if you've followed it's output as close as I have then what you have posted is a rogue run, back in mid-November for a short period regular blocking was being shown on various runs and quite regularly (particularly in Jan/Feb) but as the weeks have passed the model has generally dropped such scenario's and unfortunately continued with the Azores/near continent to the SE High pressure cell whilst at other times a low pressure dominated theme.

By the way nothing vindictive in my prior post towards yourself - just making a point :)

We'll have to agree to disagree, because like i said, i have seen quite a few 'blocked' February charts.

Anyway, let's leave it there.

Merry Christmas  8)  8)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold.

Hi its shannon sorry been on holiday, my entropy will be high as of this coming week. Thanks

• Like 1

Posted

but we are told we now have a warming climate which we didnt have over those centuries :whistling:

We are told we are now in a warming climate-but centuries ago there were warmer and colder periods sometimes over decades. Having experienced over 40 winters, more have been mild than cold. However, I feel we are now entering a period of more average to colder winters which in the next 20 years will provide us cold lovers with weather we look for during winter.

The weather in the UK during December rarely delivers nationwide cold and snow, so at the moment I feel the conditions have been fairly typical.

Come January and February I'm hopeful the winter will deliver cold and enough snow to build a snowman or two.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Hi its shannon sorry been on holiday, my entropy will be high as of this coming week. Thanks

Please to hear it, would get very boring if we could predict the weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Hope Matt hugo does not mind but he posted this on twitter.still a couple of straws to grab hold of. Keep the faith.:-)

Apologies for lack of chart as I am having trouble copying it.

Small minority for now still but 16 out of 51 EC ENS members show a similar blocked evolution as per the GFS after approx 26th.

Edited by Mark wheeler