Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Autumn/Winter 2014/15.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Missed 63, but had a fair few decent snowy winters. 1978-79, 1981-82, 84, jan 87 to name but a few.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

missed '63, but had loads of snowy winters in the 90's, snow back then as a little lad, I took as guaranteed, used to look forward to my snow

something has definitely changed now, we do get less snow at low levels in the south, now I wonder if I will see any snow at all in a winter

Posted

but thats wrong isn't it?  people would have said the same before 2010.  In 2009, 2010 and 2011 there was plenty of cold weather about AND snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

i tend to agree..... most snowy/cold winters in my lifetime do have snowy spells in december, so it is an omen, but not a hard fast rule.

ahh yes, the great snowy decembers of 81, 10, perfect winters imho... good deep snow in early winter followed by nowt after mid january... i LOVE mild februaries, but mostly after a normal winter (with at least one snow/cold spell). ok, i dont like the cold in particular, but i dont like going to the dentist either and i endure that for the greater good!

Conversely, lengthy wintry spells before the solstice don't tend to tell the story of the rest of winter, 2010 being testament to that. 2010 - brilliant December, then a non-descript January and an awful February. 2001 - quite wintry December, non-descript January and an awful February. 2009 - things didn't get going until after mid-month, had a quick break then came back with a vengeance in January. 2000 - no proper cold weather until Christmas time, then regular bouts of cold throughout January-March.

I'm hoping to see a wintry spell between Christmas and New Year, such as happened in 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, and 2008. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

I believe the current weather to be pretty average. Westerly flow with the odd incursion of cooler air from the NW/N. Here in Shetland, we tend to get a good mix of weather during the winter with storms, rain, snow and ice and this year has been no different.

The latest models show this continuing until the new year. Although it could dry out in the south later.

Christmas is, at the moment, looking.....blah. .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

The latest models show this continuing until the new year. Although it could dry out in the south later.

Christmas is, at the moment, looking.....blah. .

Patience is the key

Easter is looking good

post-7914-0-82052500-1418413069_thumb.jp

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 3

Posted

Patience is the key

Easter is looking good

Patience is possibly the most overused word on Net Weather come the winter months, closely followed by that other little gem "potential". :D

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

Patience is possibly the most overused word on Net Weather come the winter months, closely followed by that other little gem "potential". :D

Not forgetting "Just missed out" :-/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Ay, those words were used early last Dec, i'm still waiting for the cold

• Like 2

Posted

Yes, its similar to buying tonights lottery ticket that too has potential but if that fails patience is needed until the next draw.

Posted

There is a rumour doing the rounds, as yet unverified (crucial), that NW will be offering counselling to members showing signs of pre traumatic stress disorder.

The Samaritans have already noted an increase in PAD this year, similar to SAD but even sadder as it involves patience. :oops:

Posted

You forgot the other often used little gems "if" "but" "possibly" and "maybe"

• Like 1

Posted

As a coldie and all year weather nut I think you've just got to take whatever comes your way and not get all worked up about what the models are showing, it's only weather we can't control it and if this winter ends up mild and wet then so be it, as no amount of fretting or arguing over each model run will change the outcome. 

• Like 2

Posted

As a coldie and all year weather nut I think you've just got to take whatever comes your way and not get all worked up about what the models are showing, it's only weather we can't control it and if this winter ends up mild and wet then so be it, as no amount of fretting or arguing over each model run will change the outcome. 

one thing i'll never understand is people getting het up because they are in a 'snow shield' or 'the north gets better snow' or 'wish we had a climate like germany'.

it is a thing we can't control and never can control but still people get all upset by it.

personally i like all types of weather so i'm alright but if you like sun, go somewhere sunny and don't live in the shetland isles, its not difficult.

• Like 3

Posted

Brilliant Knock  :laugh:

There was a bit more to this. I was posted there at the beginning of Jan 63. After a horrendous journey by train, bus and reindeer I finally staggered into this hut peaking out of the snow. Inside they were all huddled around an ancient coke stove. Spotting Lumley the SMO I immediately requested a posting, Tobruk would be nice, at which he fell about laughing muttering, "not a chance sunshine". He was quite a character was Lum.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

True, plus the apparrant negative NAO keeps getting pushed back each week. The deep freeze promised by certain weather groups is yet to materialise!and even they keep pushing their thoughts back. Exacata weather as we know is completely unreliable, but even he must be red faced as his deep cold December hasn't, yet, appeared!

Edited by shetland islands

Posted

True, plus the apparrant negative NAO keeps getting pushed back each week. The deep freeze promised by certain weather groups is yet to materialise!and even they keep pushing their thoughts back. Exacata weather as we know is completely unreliable, but even he must be red faced as his deep cold December hasn't, yet, appeared!

I doubt it...that idiot says the same damn thing every year. Lives in a world of his own. I have this image of him during the summer months wandering around his little bedsit after a night of deep inhalation of his own farts, doodling snowmen all over his walls and writing "I AM NOT MAD" everywhere with his favourite crayon.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

I doubt it...that idiot says the same damn thing every year. Lives in a world of his own. I have this image of him during the summer months wandering around his little bedsit after a night of deep inhalation of his own farts, doodling snowmen all over his walls and writing "I AM NOT MAD" everywhere with his favourite crayon.

Genuine LOL at this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

"Downgrade" must be in there along with that certain indicator that we are in for another mild, snowless winter "Madden"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

There is a rumour doing the rounds, as yet unverified (crucial), that NW will be offering counselling to members showing signs of pre traumatic stress disorder.

ha .. only for those that believe the hype ;)

Posted

i agree  f1 starting  to look better reg xmas    the charts are looking like they could be going colder by the end of next week we might be able to call it  far to early at the moment!!!

Well yes.............

post-12275-0-28433600-1418458317_thumb.p

• Like 2