Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Autumn/Winter 2014/15.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

looks like we can write off the whole winter, another snowless one

????snowless?? i think you will find that a few people have seen some snow  already.

• Like 3

Posted

oh dear , wake me in the spring !!!....

On the contrary the ECMWF offers hope

post-19153-0-01418500-1419971272_thumb.j

:rofl:

It's the only thing us 'coldies' have to grab on and I'm holding on tight. :spiteful:

Posted

precisely deep FI, I have already written January off as Dan knows! (for low levels south only though) but not writing winter off, Feb and Mar snow potential months, and aren't we due a good Feb?

Okay lets write January off even before its started.

At the very least i will go to write off January is the first ten days to be honest yes set-up for cold looks like as doom and gloom as ever as allways and that only thing that is a plus is the SSW.

Some models go only out to around mid-way of January and yet you write off the second half of January without no model proof.

However on a brighter note for coldies back in around mid December all the models are showing and endless,countless mild,wet,windy or whatever you want to call it regime.

However things can change as around the 20th time frame the models were than showing a cold spell (Yes it did get downgrade in the end) which happened.

So let's take it one day at a time one run at a time repeat.

You never know the cold might be back on the models in the next 24 hours.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Pardon me if i've misread but fergieweather's post seems to suggest little to no cold for the south for most of Jan,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Pardon me if i've misread but fergieweather's post seems to suggest little to no cold for the south for most of Jan,

True, theres no apparent deep cold spell for most of january, though one might come later and into early feb. Classic buchan spell. However this is only a prediction and its not set in stone.

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting comment re fetgie on the mod thread and to marvel at the forecast for basically zonal weather for the foreseeable. Would be an interesting experiment to transpose the US weather guys to our shores and vice versa. Methinks the US lot would be bored out of their minds with our weather

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting comment re fetgie on the mod thread and to marvel at the forecast for basically zonal weather for the foreseeable. Would be an interesting experiment to transpose the US weather guys to our shores and vice versa. Methinks the US lot would be bored out of their minds with our weather

cannot see what there is to like about zonal weather, I mean grey wind and rain? how can anyone like low pressure,

I mean sunny and mild, people may like that, say bartlett

Edited by ScottRichards10
Just to remove the swear word.
  • Like 2

Posted

Zonal weather is often a major component to our snow events , is it not .... :)..

for Scotland, high levels north yes, but low levels south useless

Posted

what about battle ground scenarios ??...

no cos zonal means generally east to west jet, low after low tracking mainly north of scotland, rain for south, snow to Scottish mountains, low levels Scotland as cold front moves through, then another warm sector,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I understand his sentiment as I seem to be able find marvel in all weather situations how it accrues, morphs and no day is quite the same as the last...

cannot see what there is to like about zonal weather, I mean grey wind and rain? how can anyone like low pressure,

I mean sunny and mild, people may like that, say bartlett

I do! I also like high pressure - get it?

Edited by ScottRichards10
To remove a swear word from a quoted post.
  • Like 2

no cos zonal means generally east to west jet, low after low tracking mainly north of scotland, rain for south, snow to Scottish mountains, low levels Scotland as cold front moves through, then another warm sector,

what about the Atlantic train pushing up against the polar express bound to get something from that ???.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

True, theres no apparent deep cold spell for most of january, though one might come later and into early feb. Classic buchan spell. However this is only a prediction and its not set in stone.

why are long term model predictions treated with such reverence ?. Sometimes the best guess monthly CET forecasts by experts are 3/4c degrees out. FI remains 144

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted

An East to west jet would be awesome - sounds like a great easterly! ;)

• Like 1

Posted

Now that there appears to be little danger of very strong winds tomorrow one can concentrate more on the cold aspect. On the GFS five day average anomaly there isn't one section with below average temps out to the 16th.

Chart weatherbell

post-12275-0-61347700-1420008884_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Now that there appears to be little danger of very strong winds tomorrow one can concentrate more on the cold aspect. On the GFS five average anomaly there isn't one section with below average temps out to the 16th.

Chart weatherbell

Yes not so much of a cold hearted winter, more mild hearted. The PM shots have been downgraded whilst the TM shots are now in ascendence:

GFS: post-14819-0-13597700-1420012276_thumb.p post-14819-0-61978800-1420012275_thumb.p post-14819-0-63238200-1420012276_thumb.p

We need an SSW in the Summer if the above is the net result :yahoo:

Of course the PM -v- TM battle is fluid so this is not set in stone.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

4 out of the last 6 Februarys have been below the 81-10 average so actually weve had our fair share of cold in recent years.

We are due a colder February nonetheless.... over the last 18 years it's outside the Champions League of  the top four coldest months we've experienced...the top four being Dec 2010, Jan 2010, Jan 1997 and March 2013

If February was a football club it would be managed by David Moyes.....I only hope it's swapped him for someone like Mourinho this season!

Posted

Very disappointed with the output this morning. Back in early December I said it was 1-0 to the seasonal models and if the output remains unchanged then its going to be 2-0. I say this because lets remember earlier on there were conflicting forecasts from the seasonal models which predicted a positive NAO, AO to those other forecasts which predicted a negative NAO/AO especially after xmas into Jan.

The straw to clutch is the warming of the stratosphere and how this may impact the stubborn PV.