Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Autumn/Winter 2014/15.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: General

I never write winter off until the end of April and can still remember a couple of really bad frosts as late as middle June. One we had managed to kill of all of my vegetable plats it was that hard a frost. So far my readings here in south Derbyshire for this month are a mean max of 7.5c, mean min  1.6c and the mean at 4.5c which is 0.3 above average. Rainfall stands at 51mm which is 32.4mm below my highest rainfall total. The yearly rainfall 624mm and stands somewhere in the middle of my rainfall yearly totals. I don't for one moment think we have seen the back of this winter far from it as I don't think our winters really start till after the new year. Lets wait until we see what next month and February have in store for us before we start to get out our swimwear and sunglasses.

British weather must be one of the worst to define anywhere in the world, as things can change so suddenly, from a bright sunny day to a raging storm in a matter of hours.

Looking at things now it is not doing as  said with the wind now shifting to the S to SE, with the temperature hovering around the 5.2c mark. Can see it changing to much colder conditions again this weekend.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

I cant wait for some more warm rain, its what i live for!! I come onto netweather every day in the hope that we can get ourselves some more rain because we just don't see enough of it!!! It is the best of weather!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Ihate new year

Because ive seen far more then ive got left to see....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: General

I love New Year. I too am now coming into my golden years. But life goes on and just like the British weather it gets more interesting as the years roll by. 

I look at life like a thunderstorm. It can be very stormy and blustery at times but out of it comes a silver lining. The only thing I can't stand about it these days is the sording fire works. They have been going off now since 6 ok it sounds like WW3 out there.

So I would like to wish all of you a Happy and a Prosperous  New Year and hope that 2015, brings some memorable weather events.

How about a nice long hot Summer and a Winter that last for over 4 months with snow 5 feet deep.

That would make it a real brilliant year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

Not exactly a moan here....but just watching a year of weather on bbc news channel. Looking at last Januarys devastation sure puts all our moaning about lack of snow into perspective! Happy new year everyone :) :)

Posted

All been said really and the extended ECM ens shows no different with the trough just north of Scotland dominating  Low Hudson Bay still in place with weak ridging eastern Europe and weak trough Alaska. So more of the unstable westerlies.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

Happy New Year to you all

Enjoy Autumn for the next couple of weeks, it beats scraping the windscreen like I had to for most of this week!

• Like 3

Posted

Enjoy Autumn for the next couple of weeks, it beats scraping the windscreen like I had to for most of this week!

Isit autumn or spring?

We have flowering lillies in the garden and butterflies flitting around this week. Definitely NOT winter a s far as nature is concerned in the garden.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted

Don't know why people bother with the hassle of scraping or using pungent de-icers, a kettle full of lukewarm water does the trick much better and quicker.

• Like 6

Posted

Isit autumn or spring?

We have flowering lillies in the garden and butterflies flitting around this week. Definitely NOT winter a s far as nature is concerned in the garden.

Butterflies! We had a couple of large queen wasps appear in the house this week, rather dopey but very much alive. That's about 6 we've had in the past month. Not sure where they come from, but they only seem to appear in 2 rooms which share a chimney flue. None of the other rooms ever get wasps in winter or early spring.

Pretty cold here. not even any sign of the snowdrops yet.

• Like 2

I cant wait for some more warm rain, its what i live for!! I come onto netweather every day in the hope that we can get ourselves some more rain because we just don't see enough of it!!! It is the best of weather!!

:smiliz19:  :good:

Edited by Eugene
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine

Looking as if the seasonal models pre winter may have been onto something after all?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Don't know why people bother with the hassle of scraping or using pungent de-icers, a kettle full of lukewarm water does the trick much better and quicker.

Because it freezes again and it can damage the glass.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

normal weather, still of course writing Jan off for cold/snow in the south, but not looking too bad, apart from Sat am, doesn't look too wet, azores high keeps south dry, not a bad thing, unlike cold zonality, the worst for the south

Posted

Looks like it's 2014 rewinded! No joy on the models whatsoever!!!

0nly hope for Jan is, if the azores high can come close enough to avoid the rain, that will be better for the south, I prefer dry and mild, rather than cold zonality, constant rain

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Quite used to crack windscreens when very cold

0nly hope for Jan is, if the azores high can come close enough to avoid the rain, that will be better for the south, I prefer dry and mild, rather than cold zonality, constant rain

Nah bring on the rain -need a big monthly total for a change :)

• Like 1

Posted

Quite used to crack windscreens when very cold

Nah bring on the rain -need a big monthly total for a change :)

I'll let you have it Tony, keep it in Wales

• Like 1

Posted

Hot water, potentially. Lukewarm water, no. The wipers left on takes care of the refreezing part. Been doing it for years with no issues.

I must point out that my windscreen is coated with a water repellant, so less forms on it to frost over. I also put the windscreen heater on a few minutes before doing so. I would be wary about doing it in severely cold weather, although in Jan 2010 when it was about -15C locally one morning I still didn't have any issues. I guess the real issues happen if there is an imperfection in the glass such as a stonechip or crack.

Anyway, slightly off topic, even for this thread!

Edited by March Blizzard

Posted

I love reading Tamara's posts. They are eloquently and beautifully written and don't include 'to' and 'too' and 'of' and 'off' grammar mistakes which numerous posters struggle with which often makes reading posts hard work. Unfortunately I have no idea whats she's talking about.

I know, that is unreal, loose instead of lose, and their instead of there, the most common i think, also f1 instead of FI

• Like 1