Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/09/14 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Minimal SB & ML CAPE in the far southeast showing on the NMM 3km, so a possible convective element to rainfall there, or East Anglia in the early hours. Other than that, rainfall looks mostly dynamic everywhere else. A rumble of thunder cannot be ruled out in the heavier bursts of rain of course, but there doesn't look like a great deal on offer, at least not until slow moving thundery showers move in behind tomorrow. :)

and the showers will mainly affect the SE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning

post-20640-0-41212300-1413143506_thumb.ppost-20640-0-53600200-1413143520_thumb.p

Anyone else see potential with this? Or am I just optimistic?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Still cannot believe how long that storm lasted yesterday, any reason why it did? Vertical shear or deep layer shear? The CAPE values were nothing massive and the LI wasnt really low, only -2/-3. Looked to me like it could've possibly had supercell characteristics to it aswell, it all of a sudden beared right as soon as it hit Downham Market up to kings Lynn + someone reported branches down etc in Norfolk. 

Sometimes the best activity happens when you're really not expecting it lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

attachicon.gifcape.pngattachicon.gifshear.png

Anyone else see potential with this? Or am I just optimistic?

I think your been optimistic but you never never know

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Some pictures of the storm approaching with lightning stills from video. I do have video which I have posted some on my open Facebook group linked in my signature. According to Torro Norwich airport which is where these pictures were taken reported a funnel cloud. I couldn't confirm rotation or the funnel cloud cause the lowerings were some way away.

I got more video and slow motion lightning still to sort.

post-7331-0-41165000-1413209147_thumb.jp

post-7331-0-18685600-1413209174_thumb.jp

post-7331-0-90200700-1413209193_thumb.jp

post-7331-0-47324700-1413209217_thumb.jp

post-7331-0-09297100-1413209237_thumb.jp

post-7331-0-85157900-1413209254_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

great pic, love them.

Forgotten what it's like to see such a lovely storm /grumble.

Posted

great pic, love them.

Forgotten what it's like to see such a lovely storm /grumble.

Thanks, I could see it intensifying on radar before i ventured out and so it seems time and time again a good spot is overlooking the airport. I saw the south side heading more north of Norwich so favoured that area. However it must have spread cause Poringland had a good hail storm.

I gotta decide if this storm structure beats the one in my signature or not!

Edited by Greenday

Posted

Still cannot believe how long that storm lasted yesterday, any reason why it did? Vertical shear or deep layer shear? The CAPE values were nothing massive and the LI wasnt really low, only -2/-3. Looked to me like it could've possibly had supercell characteristics to it aswell, it all of a sudden beared right as soon as it hit Downham Market up to kings Lynn + someone reported branches down etc in Norfolk.

Sometimes the best activity happens when you're really not expecting it lol.

I'm wondering if the late breaking of the cap helped to hold in the energy for it to build considerably before finally breaking and releasing the energy suddenly and sharply. Convection appeared suddenly and a cell built very quickly nearby whilst the main area was heading towards us from the fens. The storm forecast only predicted 250j/kj of cape and lessening when the storm arrived. Nocturnal cooling must have helped the lapse rates that perhaps were steepening even before the sun started to go down. Edited by Greenday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Hi@all

Great pics of the storm up east, thanks for posting. Quite unexpectedly potent development so late in the season, wonder whether there is more in store. The temperature of the seawater surrounding the UK is going to play a great role here..

@ chrisbell-nottheforecaster: I woldnt really classify it as an MCS, it was more of a strong multicell. To classify as an MCS for example the uninterrupted span of precipitation must be at least 60 Miles across in any direction, and this wasnt the case. MCS for example are these massive systems which form on a regular basis over the south of France in summer( with uninterrupted and cold cloud top on Infrared Satpic) which then track N-NE, skim the southeast UK and cause great frustration in the Netweather community, but provide great lightshows over places like Belgium :rolleyes:

Well, lets hope there will be yet another event this year to get the forum buzzing once more..

Regards

Ralph

Thanks for the information.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I was over in Dorking when I saw the Norwich cell building on radar. Everything in my area seemed to suddenly dissipate very, very quickly and we were left with the clearest skies - it was like that cell sucked all the energy out!

Posted

I was over in Dorking when I saw the Norwich cell building on radar. Everything in my area seemed to suddenly dissipate very, very quickly and we were left with the clearest skies - it was like that cell sucked all the energy out!

Exactly the same here, once it moved off, complete clear skies here too. After seeing a storm like that to totally the opposite was amazing, the moon and the stars were out to play :-) I am hoping even if briefly it was a low end supercell, it did have the curvature for it and a probable right turn cause I thought it was going to head more north than it did for a while.

Makes me think I should start investing in timelapse then I could have checked the movement of the storm whilst it was approaching.

Edited by Greenday

Posted

Well for once in the Uk I was in the right location for this storm and it did indeed right turn (Greenday)

Was up in Norfolk end of last week for my Birthday on my parents boat at Wroxham and was enjoying a days fishing at the boatyard, at about 515pm started to hear booming thunder to the west which would have put the storm somewhere North-West of Norwich and at that time it was indeed heading straight North towards Cromer, around 545pm it started to right turn and was now heading more towards Yarmouth and we were in for a direct hit, got the following of the approaching shelf cloud as it approached Wroxham looking to the west. 

Sorry about blurryness of picture (Panoramic etc)

post-24-0-41578100-1413277415_thumb.jpg - Pretty Special for the Uk

Was then treated to small hail and some beautiful clear air Cgs on the back side of the storm out of the rain which was on the forward flank (eastern side) so when viewed from the west as others have said we had the moon and stars above with glaciated anvil and easy to catch Cg Lightning.

post-24-0-77963800-1413277536_thumb.jpg - Cg Lightning illuminating boats on the River Bure

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Well for once in the Uk I was in the right location for this storm and it did indeed right turn (Greenday)

Was up in Norfolk end of last week for my Birthday on my parents boat at Wroxham and was enjoying a days fishing at the boatyard, at about 515pm started to hear booming thunder to the west which would have put the storm somewhere North-West of Norwich and at that time it was indeed heading straight North towards Cromer, around 545pm it started to right turn and was now heading more towards Yarmouth and we were in for a direct hit, got the following of the approaching shelf cloud as it approached Wroxham looking to the west. 

attachicon.gif801_stitch.jpg - Pretty Special for the Uk

Was then treated to small hail and some beautiful clear air Cgs on the back side of the storm out of the rain which was on the forward flank (eastern side) so when viewed from the west as others have said we had the moon and stars above with glaciated anvil and easy to catch Cg Lightning.

attachicon.gif019.JPG - Cg Lightning illuminating boats on the River Bure

Regards

Paul S

Hi Paul nice pics

What do you think of my pancake stack meso which I got last Friday posted a few pages back

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

That is a fine shelf indeed, much, much better than the one Alabama got yesterday and that was a 'moderate' risk..!!

Posted

Thanks Tom and NL

Will take a look a few pages back Tom, first time I have had internet since last thursday lol, they dont do Internet in the wilds of Norfolk it seems, more -3g than 3g. Haha

Posted

Hi Paul nice pics

What do you think of my pancake stack meso which I got last Friday posted a few pages back

Yep looks like a Mesocyclone in that Picture, cant see any funnel but certainly a weak wall cloud feature in there as well, guessing this was about 7-8pm last Friday from that line of Storms that were North of Brighton at the time, that put on a lovely display of lightning in Essex I am told whilst sitting 100 miles away in Norfolk.

Posted

Was up in Norfolk end of last week for my Birthday on my parents boat at Wroxham and was enjoying a days fishing at the boatyard, at about 515pm started to hear booming thunder to the west which would have put the storm somewhere North-West of Norwich and at thats time it was indeed heading straight North towards Cromer, around 545pm it started to right turn and was now heading more towards Yarmouth and we were in for a direct hit, got the following of the approach ingredient shelf cloud as it approached Wroxham looking to the west.

attachicon.gif801_stitch.jpg - Pretty Special for the Uk

attachicon.gif019.JPG - Cg Lightning illuminating boats on the River Bure

Regards

Paul S

Yes! That looks awesome and familiar! If that was taken further north then the whole thing must have extended a long distance. I was probably viewing it further South from where it was heading. I tend to aim for the Southwest side of anything that passes in the hope of catching a funnel or tornado so tend to be away from a direct hit, however such a good convective season they still alluded me. However if you can confirm it was likely a supercell then that will make me a happy man nonetheless! Confirmed supercell?

One of the many lightning stills I got from it below..

post-7331-0-61678800-1413281242_thumb.jp

Edited by Greenday

Posted

Yes it was about that time. Don't think one has ever been recorded in the uk??

Edited by Tom Jarvis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

I kept an eye on the Cambs/Norfolk storm and didnt expect it to last untill nightfall, coudnt get out untill about 7pm, so my brother who also likes storm-watching gave me a lift to Livermere which is four miles NE of Bury.

We watched the storm move away for an hour, and saw a few CGs that were probably between Yarmouth and Lowestoft, around 50 miles away...

post-12104-0-62991800-1413286643_thumb.j

post-12104-0-94077400-1413286675_thumb.j 

Pretty sure red tower in the first shot is the Tacklestone Transmitter.

Edited by Sprites

Posted

Yep lots have been recorded actually - We get on average 1 Supercell per year in the Uk, this year has seen at least 3, but you can go 3 or 4 years without any so the average would be closer to 1 per year.

Posted

Awesome pictures of that unexpected, but amazing storm! Looking very likely that it was indeed a supercell then! 

Quite extraordinary given the low CAPE values and modest Lifted Index too. Just goes to show that you don't necessarily need that much beef in the atmosphere, but for everything to come together at once. Its setup must have been timed to perfection, entered a more sheared environment when peak daytime heating was at its maximum maybe. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted

I kept an eye on the Cambs/Norfolk storm and didnt expect it to last untill nightfall, coudnt get out untill about 7pm, so my brother who also likes storm-watching gave me a lift to Livermere which is four miles NE of Bury.

We watched the storm move away for an hour, and saw a few CGs that were probably between Yarmouth and Lowestoft, around 50 miles away...

attachicon.gif_IGP9462.jpg distant small.jpg

attachicon.gif_IGP9486.png distant.jpg 

Pretty sure red tower in the first shot is the Tacklestone Transmitter.

Nice, if it is Tacolneston then its not far from my mum in Ashwellthorpe. I love how it shows the clear sky around the cell and the stars visible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Nice, if it is Tacolneston then its not far from my mum in Ashwellthorpe. I love how it shows the clear sky around the cell and the stars visible.

Thanks,

My uncle lives in Ashwellthorpe. It was great to see the stars as the storm departed, the milkyway was quite vivid.

I wanted the nearer shower in the photo to produce CGs, but it gave a few infrequent intraclouds.

Posted

This was probably one of the best supercells the Uk has seen. 28th june 2012, this is the storm which gave Leicestershire the baseball sized hail and one of the largest UK tornado's captured in Sleaford, Lincolnshire. 

Posted

This was probably one of the best supercells the Uk has seen. 28th june 2012, this is the storm which gave Leicestershire the baseball sized hail and one of the largest UK tornado's captured in Sleaford, Lincolnshire. 

don't ever play paintballing with mother nature she will win hands down! :-) Incredible footage you could mistake that for the states!