Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/09/14 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Real cluster of slow- moving, heavy showers in the area.

Torrential downpours past 15 minutes have given 6mm, peak rate 57mm/ hr and they continue.

Posted

Further torrential showers ongoing, peak rate 92mm/hour just, and 11mm past 45 minutes! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Just had a heavy downpour and hail, and it also just let out a crack of thunder :O

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Here's a rather tasty CG from a local storm last Saturday...

post-17315-0-35765900-1413472765_thumb.j

Shame about the rain drops on the windscreen though.

Edited by poseidon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Just had a huge downpour. Everything river-ised, sferics becoming widespread on the detector now too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Very local but torrential shower, lasted 20 minutes! Lucky to catch it.

Posted

Looks like some quite active storms have formed in SW England and the Channel.. 

Typically I'm in Egham (I went to an inland uni so I go back to uni just as the coastal 'storm season' begins, after spending summer near the coast when inland tends to get more storms.. doh.) 

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Looks like some quite active storms have formed in SW England and the Channel.. 

Typically I'm in Egham (I went to an inland uni so I go back to uni just as the coastal 'storm season' begins, after spending summer near the coast when inland tends to get more storms.. doh.) 

unfortunately they're dying as soon as they hit land.....high SST's are fueling them, but as soon as landfall is made, the fuel supply is cut off

Posted

unfortunately they're dying as soon as they hit land.....high SST's are fueling them, but as soon as landfall is made, the fuel supply is cut off

Yes not expecting much here, as I mentioned the coasts get more now. In fact there is thunder/lightning back home now, centred to the west over Exeter.

Edit: Looks like a real nice light show kicking off back home now.. would be a great view from home :(

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Lots of lightning in the past hour to the W, WNW, NW, NNW, N, NNE and NE. Maybe some more to come from the rain to the S but that's only a maybe...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

That was the heaviest rain I have ever seen in my life and I have evidence to prove it. I can't understand why there was no thunder or lightning though... Newton Poppleford Weather All Time Records Highest Rainfall Rate: 245.2 mm/hr 16/10/2014 20:06.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A few heavy bursts of rain here, just grazing the coast. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

just seen a flash of distant lightning way down to my south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Short-lived but quite intense thunderstorm over Exeter, got one lightning strike on a video recording:

post-7-0-87818500-1413491554_thumb.png

Some very heavy rain too- intensity briefly approached 50mm/hour according to the radar.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Newton Poppleford Weather All Time Records Highest Rainfall Rate: 245.2 mm/hr 16/10/2014 20:06.

Is that what you just experienced? I can't even imagine. Surely that would be like sheets of rain falling?

Posted

That was the heaviest rain I have ever seen in my life and I have evidence to prove it. I can't understand why there was no thunder or lightning though... Newton Poppleford Weather All Time Records Highest Rainfall Rate: 245.2 mm/hr 16/10/2014 20:06.

William, That is a huge figure, how long did it last at that rate and do you know what the total rainfall was?

I was down at Sidmouth a few years back when they had major flooding following a cloudburst, but that was no more than about 30mm / hour and maybe 50mm/hr peak. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Is that what you just experienced? I can't even imagine. Surely that would be like sheets of rain falling?

William, That is a huge figure, how long did it last at that rate and do you know what the total rainfall was?

I was down at Sidmouth a few years back when they had major flooding following a cloudburst, but that was no more than about 30mm / hour and maybe 50mm/hr peak.

I experienced something similar last week.. :)

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81167-wales-the-midlands-south-west-england-weather-discussion/?view=findpost&p=3052315

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Estofex Lvl 1 for Scotland/Ireland tomorrow.

Posted

That really is heavy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Heard 2 really distant rumbles here, that may be the best that happens tonight :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Wow we had a massive thunderstorm and torrential rain that lasted over half an hour last night in Exeter, there was lots of flash flooding, it was one of the best so far this year....We've had quite a few thunderstorms this year, much more than normal I should imagine!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Well I missed out again , now if I could just get me the euromillion's jackpot and I'll be happy

Edited by Gordon Webb