Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Flipping sheffield, always seems to get lucky with streamers/stationary fronts! Even in 2010 when we had a stationary front and over a foot of snow, sheffield managed more!!

I remember that half metre of snowfall well :p

I doubt I'll see that kind of fall again in my lifetime.

Unless tonight really delivers :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Got a nice heavy batch of snow off that streamer now, there's easy a foot of snow here allready. Can't wait to see what tonight brings!

I'm going to be very sleep deprived tomorrow :)

• Like 1

Posted

If it's anything like the football team Leeds this will be a let down for us like always

• Like 2

Posted

I was about to post, 2010 is certainly the benchmark for any snowfall here!

Posted

I remember talking to a friend in sheff who had abandoned even trying to walk to work, even though he only lived a mile or so away, as he was wading in it over his knees. The thought of him even attempting gave me a chuckle!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Yep, amazing to think that more significant snow could be on the way :o

Alex Deakin's 6:30 national update didn't look too inspiring for our region, but I loathe the BBC graphics anyway :p

Never listen to them anyway remember back in 2010 when we got 2ft of snow oh yes i remember they forecast 5cm!! Lmfao and we got stuck under a persistent streamer that seemed to just sit over us while most places within 20 miles North East south and West it had stopped.

Posted

Yes ive just noticed that too Mark. seems to be widening a little. Probably something to do with the approaching PL increasing the energy and disturbance of the atmosphere. Lets hope it acts as a homing signal for the main event for Yorkshire!

It seems to have sadly died! 

Temp dropping here. 0.2c dewpoint -1c

Posted

Polar Warsaw on the Midlands thread has drawn a map that matches my initial thoughts... Straight into north wales and missing everyone?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Everything is frozen solid and it has started to snow a bit!

• Like 1

Posted

Polar Warsaw on the Midlands thread has drawn a map that matches my initial thoughts... Straight into north wales and missing everyone?

Which means it will die a death when (and if) it gets to Sheffield

Edited by Weather26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

It seems to have sadly died! 

Temp dropping here. 0.2c dewpoint -1c

yes, died off but thats because the main ppn is now approaching the coast of ireland. I still think part of it at least looks on course for us, judging by latest radar frames. It is going more east now as that streamer was so if it keeps doing that then it could hit west yorkshire aswell!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Bloomin eck are you really that low? I'm in Dronfield at 215m asl! I can't be that far from you. I forget how varied the Sheffield landscape area is!

I used to see the difference all the time travelling from top of Marsh Lane which is around 215M ASL same as you there could be blizzards up there and difficult driving conditions yet 3 miles down the road at Atco crossroads at bottom of Eckington it is around 50mASL the difference that 165m makes is unreal.

like tonight travelled from Dronfield where there is around 1ft in places to Meadowhall an there is not even a full cover with alot of green patches Just goes to show what a few hundred metres can do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

I'm under that little streamer now and it is settling everywhere. Very light though

Ah, that was the one I strongly disagreed with! :D Simply because it doesn't seem to correlate with anything that is actually going on looking at sat animations and radar? Not to mention the latest output either.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Maybe we will get something here in Leeds?attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Morley, almost certainly yes, unless it changes track. Roundhay, unlikely to be any significant amount.

Leeds does seem to be very touch and go and needs a push east to ensure all of it gets some.

• Like 1

Posted

Ah, that was the one I strongly disagreed with! :D Simply because it doesn't seem to correlate with anything that is actually going on looking at sat animations and radar? Not to mention the latest output either.

OK, I will put my faith in your belief!

Posted

yes, died off but thats because the main ppn is now approaching the coast of ireland. I still think part of it at least looks on course for us, judging by latest radar frames. It is going more east now as that streamer was so if it keeps doing that then it could hit west yorkshire aswell!

Yeah, at least is has allowed the temp to drop a little. Judging by the radar i reckon around 12-1?

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Ah yes..............1st December 2010. A day long to be remembered!! :D:cold:  Having said that, its not far off that today lol!!!

heres a happy reminder of then:

post-19114-0-17470200-1422567556_thumb.jpost-19114-0-26065700-1422567557_thumb.j

Yeah, at least is has allowed the temp to drop a little. Judging by the radar i reckon around 12-1?

yes id go with those timings, seem a good shout! At least that wont be tooooo late lol ;)

• Like 3

OK, I will put my faith in your belief!

lol, just be aware that's all it is! A belief, supported by amateur enthusiasm.

There, got my smallprint in to cover myself :D

Posted

GFS 18z take. South Yorkshire the sweet spot of our region. 3-5hours of moderate snow, probably 5cm-10cm (the higher end with height)

6-574UK.GIF?29-189-574UK.GIF?29-18

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS 18z take. South Yorkshire the sweet spot of our region. 3-5hours of moderate snow, probably 5cm-10cm (the higher end with height)

6-574UK.GIF?29-189-574UK.GIF?29-18

Looks to miss us?