Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looking at the temperatures the beeb are giving us (Darlington) I'm not sure about next week to be honest for lower parts

Sunday 3c and rain

Monday 3c and sunshine

Tuesday 2c and cloudy - good potential for snow given the temps

Wednesday to Saturday 4c

The wind direction each day comes from a westerly source ie north west, west and south west, only exception is Wednesday when they give us a southerly

Wouldn't it be sods law that the coldest spell for 2 years just brings lots of dry weather

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

no precip anywhere near me in northumberland, shame its 2 degrees and -3 dewpoint!!

Posted

Looking at the temperatures the beeb are giving us (Darlington) I'm not sure about next week to be honest for lower parts

Sunday 3c and rain

Monday 3c and sunshine

Tuesday 2c and cloudy - good potential for snow given the temps

Wednesday to Saturday 4c

The wind direction each day comes from a westerly source ie north west, west and south west, only exception is Wednesday when they give us a southerly

Wouldn't it be sods law that the coldest spell for 2 years just brings lots of dry weather

Its starting to look slightly worrying isn't it haha, we need some upgrades! I thought last night we'd still get at least a very short lived period of snow showers from the North Sea next week that would give us some joy but this seems to be disappearing from the models. I still wouldn't write off Sunday though. 

Posted

plenty of precipitation around on Sunday, could be sleety on the coast i reckon.

Posted

plenty of precipitation around on Sunday, could be sleety on the coast i reckon.

Most probably, though the wind direction is coming from on-shore so this will limit the moderating effect hopefully. 

Posted

It looks that way currently

51-779UK.GIF?16-654-779UK.GIF?16-657-779UK.GIF?16-6

As I posted further up its the temperatures which are looking too high

Some snow for most initially as the temperatures are low though some coastal areas could see more in the way of sleet / wet snow

51-580UK.GIF?16-6

But as the day progress the temperatures rise to around 3 to 4c again the wrong side of marginal for snow to lay

54-580UK.GIF?16-657-580UK.GIF?16-6

High ground should be fine but for lower levels its looking touch and go at this stage

Posted

Really can't believe when I saw the models this morning, what a downgrade but that was always a risk in this set up that things either flatten too quickly or the low won't sink southwards. 

Although the Easterly never looked mouthwatering(with the uppers on offer, i was doubtful on lying snow at lower levels) i probably would take that instead what is on offer at the moment. 

Even the Northerly has toned down to an extent again and the PPN over us that is being modelled is from a front and as it does look marginal. Can only hope the off shore winds will help us to make any PPN of snow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

This is turning into a damp squib yet again for some of us.

Posted

This is turning into a damp squib yet again for some of us.

dont despair just yet,still some precipitation around Sunday night when the temperature should drop and turn things more snowy for coastal/low lying areas.

i would be happy with a dusting which lasts the week in cold temperatures

Posted

Interesting forecast from Louise Lear, pressure chart shows 2 front within the Northerly flow and you saw a glimpse of the more detail graphics which showed quite a large blob of white heading southwards during Sunday but with the Southern bias in the forecasts in these situations unfortunately we focus right on southern parts on their potential of some wet snow on higher ground so could not see what other PPN there may be for Sunday. 

Believe it or not, Sunday could be our best chance out of this. 

Posted

What's going to happen Tuesday/Wednesday here?
We are supposed to be taking off a section of roof and it looks like trivial amounts - which is not a problem, but 3" would be bad!

Posted

Watch out for some wintry showers moving across from the west / north west overnight and early tomorrow some could make it over the pennines if they do some low levels may get a light dusting with temps no higher than 1c

Tomorrow its self should be a decent winters day with plenty of sunshine and highs around 4c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Interesting forecast from Louise Lear, pressure chart shows 2 front within the Northerly flow and you saw a glimpse of the more detail graphics which showed quite a large blob of white heading southwards during Sunday but with the Southern bias in the forecasts in these situations unfortunately we focus right on southern parts on their potential of some wet snow on higher ground so could not see what other PPN there may be for Sunday. 

Believe it or not, Sunday could be our best chance out of this. 

Haha yeah I watched that forecast.

I couldn't believe what I saw to be honest. As you say you could see a big white blob of snow moving down the NE coast as the Sunday forecast began, and then she zoomed in on the south and completely ignored what looked like a band of snow moving through the borders and into NE England.

Shocking and unprofessional southern biased forecast if ever I've seen one!

Posted

Didn't see the news so just watched it back on the iplayer looks like rain / sleet for the coasts initially and snow inland

Untitled.pngUntitled35.png

They didn't show it any further as that rain and bit of snow you can see in the south took over and by the time the forecast zoomed back out the snow has gone

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Didn't see the news so just watched it back on the iplayer looks like rain / sleet for the coasts initially and snow inland

Untitled.pngUntitled35.png

They didn't show it any further as that rain and bit of snow you can see in the south took over and by the time the forecast zoomed back out its gone

Hopefully that can give us some laying snow it's been a long time since we've had lying snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Watch out for some wintry showers moving across from the west / north west overnight and early tomorrow some could make it over the pennines if they do some low levels may get a light dusting with temps no higher than 1c

Tomorrow its self should be a decent winters day with plenty of sunshine and highs around 4c

yeah i was just looking at the radar and the showers coming into western scotland are a lot heavier than earlier so hopefully these will make it over

Posted

Details will change though so I would not take the graphics too literally but the potential is there for sure 

ECM is pretty good for the Northerly, shows it more Northerly/NNE'ly even at 72 hours but its a case of watching and wait and see what occurs. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Take him up to the Pennines - between Stanhope and Middleton is a good place - I did that last year and found enough snow for the kids to go sledging and build a snowman. I won't let a winter go by without them getting to do both. :)

cheers for that nick i will see what happens on sunday before deciding what to do, i was thinking of driving to leyburn over the weekend but again i will wait to see what happens 

Posted

Hopefully that can give us some laying snow it's been a long time since we've had lying snow?

March 2013 Is the last I can remember at low levels

Posted

The showers have been struggling to get across to the Northeast as is usual in this setup,but do seem to be trying harder in the last hour.

post-2839-0-14154700-1421439026_thumb.pn

Posted

The showers have been struggling to get across to the Northeast as is usual in this setup,but do seem to be trying harder in the last hour.

attachicon.gifviewimage.png

Upper and lower ground winds are not the strongest so it will continue to be a struggle and I personally not expecting anything really. That said, I also would not be too surprised if there is evidence of a snow shower passing overnight ether as its only takes one rogue shower to produce a dusting if the air and ground temps are cold enough of course.