Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yesterday lunchtime the beebs map showed this

Untitled.pngUntitled35.png

Now its showing this

Untitled1.pngUntitled3.pngUntitled2.png

From Thursday the beeb give us daytime highs ranging from 5c to 7c

Untitled4.png

I said yesterday I wasn't sure we'd see much in this region especially so for lower levels and the snow maps haven't changed my mind this morning

72-780UK.GIF?17-0120-780UK.GIF?17-0144-780UK.GIF?17-0198-780UK.GIF?17-0222-780UK.GIF?17-0

Maybe a light dusting if we're lucky but I doubt snow shovels will be needed especially for lower levels

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Okay so still plenty of precipitation around tomorrow but looking very marginal.Some showers should push in overnight into Monday on the north/north east wind and these look like being much less marginal, heaviest towards the coast.

i would post charts but can't work out how to on my phone.

Just seen the 1030 bbc forecast and it showed rain for much of the northeast tomorrow afternoon!

Posted

Got to say although it feels cold it doesn't feel cold enough for snow at the minute. Fingers crossed for the coming week.

Posted

Got to say although it feels cold it doesn't feel cold enough for snow at the minute. Fingers crossed for the coming week.

Yeah in the sunshine it doesn't feel too bad today cold out of the sun though as it often is with these conditions at this time of year

Posted

The text forecast shows some promise for late Tuesday and into Wednesday

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday

Monday mainly dry but still very cold with severe overnight frost. Snow edging in from the west late Tuesday clearing early Wednesday leaving a few wintry showers.

Posted

Yep,same sort of thing as last night with a snow shower falling onto frozen surfaces giving a dusting.

Next thing to watch is the trough moving down from the North which should be affecting us early tomorrow morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

The showers just die by the time they get here. Same old story!

I can not recall ever that snow showers on a west or north west flow have delivered anything of significance to the north east coast.  When (or if) the wind changes to a northerly to easterly then its a different story.  The good news is this is forecast to happen tomorrow for the first time this winter.

Posted

I can not recall ever that snow showers on a west or north west flow have delivered anything of significance to the north east coast.  When (or if) the wind changes to a northerly to easterly then its a different story.  The good news is this is forecast to happen tomorrow for the first time this winter.

Yes same. Then knowing our luck it wont be cold enough lol.

Posted

I was amazed that the early stages of the November 2010 spell produced snow on the coast.  I will not forget the night of the 26th when 8" fell here.  looking at the current synoptic, I don't see any reason why the forecasted ppn on Sunday will be anything but snow.  The question is how much ppn will there be.  This will only be answered by radar and looking outside your window!   Best of luck.

Posted

I was amazed that the early stages of the November 2010 spell produced snow on the coast.  I will not forget the night of the 26th when 8" fell here.  looking at the current synoptic, I don't see any reason why the forecasted ppn on Sunday will be anything but snow.  The question is how much ppn will there be.  This will only be answered by radar and looking outside your window!   Best of luck.

The latest BBC forecast looks touch and go for this region the band coming down from Scotland is expected to weaken with some rain, sleet and snow especially to the hills

Radar watching me thinks

Posted

The Met have been pretty much spot on so far this winter so there is not much excitment here. Not sure how the week is panning out as not looked in the south model output thread.

Let's hope we get something before the cold is out.

Posted

The Met have been pretty much spot on so far this winter so there is not much excitement here. Not sure how the week is panning out as not looked in the south model output thread.

Let's hope we get something before the cold is out.

The week ahead forecast is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/30863531

I agree they've done pretty well this winter

Posted

Have seen snow showers coming in from the West but they tend to be isolated and certainly not the rule by any means. 

Some potentially interesting developments, the Northerly is now forecast to be a bit more true Northerly at least during Sunday daytime so there is the potential of seeing some convective weather and Sunday night into Monday could also be interesting, the uppers are forecast to get slightly colder during sunday night so lying snow risk becomes more of a possibility. 

In these situations you can see 'streamer' set ups as the winds falls slack and start to veer more NNW'ly and the showers slowly die, i'm not sure if this will be the case here as the Northerly will not be fully established for long enough but in these situations its a case of radar watching. 

Not the first time we had a Northerly either, we had a similar one in December and despite winds off shore and what look on paper decent uppers, the showers that did fall was of rain with tiny bits of sleet with a temp and dew of 1/1C but I fancy any high ground should be fine. That was one frustrating evening though. 

Posted

Have seen snow showers coming in from the West but they tend to be isolated and certainly not the rule by any means. 

Some potentially interesting developments, the Northerly is now forecast to be a bit more true Northerly at least during Sunday daytime so there is the potential of seeing some convective weather and Sunday night into Monday could also be interesting, the uppers are forecast to get slightly colder during sunday night so lying snow risk becomes more of a possibility. 

In these situations you can see 'streamer' set ups as the winds falls slack and start to veer more NNW'ly and the showers slowly die, i'm not sure if this will be the case here as the Northerly will not be fully established for long enough but in these situations its a case of radar watching. 

Not the first time we had a Northerly either, we had a similar one in December and despite winds off shore and what look on paper decent uppers, the showers that did fall was of rain with tiny bits of sleet with a temp and dew of 1/1C but I fancy any high ground should be fine. That was one frustrating evening though. 

I agree.

My bet is to see 1-3" of snow where I live.

Posted

The week ahead forecast is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/30863531

I agree they've done pretty well this winter

Nothing to much to get excited about is there. i guess it's a look out the window and hope there wrong lol.

Posted

The hi-res NMM model has a thin band of snow spreading down from the North early tomorrow morning, so lets see how accurate it is.

post-2839-0-04218800-1421534771_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Where is my snow coming from tomorrow night lol?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ne6?day=1

Here: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=330.

Just run through the latest precip charts from the18z NMM run for the North East. Looks fantastic, lots of showers/troughs all moving down off the North Sea. Day of radar watching me thinks. (heads back to Yorkshire thread) Good luck all!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Here: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=330.

Just run through the latest precip charts from the18z NMM run for the North East. Looks fantastic, lots of showers/troughs all moving down off the North Sea. Day of radar watching me thinks. (heads back to Yorkshire thread) Good luck all!

Looks quite promising for showers.

Cheers :good:

Posted

Probably won't give any lying snow for me though :wallbash:

Posted

High chance most of the region will see some snow in the next 24 hours.

A trough feature is projected to move through Scotland overnight and enter Northumberland around 6/7am edging into N Cumbria and N Pennines around 8am heading through the rest of the region around 9am, clearing N Yorkshire probably by around 12. Some places could see an inch or two from it, especially further NW you are.

Thereafter, NE part of the region could see some hefty showers brought in on the N wind by late afternoon and through the evening, hard to say where will be hit but a slight tilt to a NNE would bring much of the eastern half of the region at threat. Coastal parts may see more in the way of sleety hail, but won't need to go too far inland for snow.

A cold night will then follow especially over the Penning snowfields, setting us up for a sparkling Monday, with temps inland struggling to get above freezing.

Proper January weather at last!

• Like 2

Posted

High chance most of the region will see some snow in the next 24 hours.

A trough feature is projected to move through Scotland overnight and enter Northumberland around 6/7am edging into N Cumbria and N Pennines around 8am heading through the rest of the region around 9am, clearing N Yorkshire probably by around 12. Some places could see an inch or two from it, especially further NW you are.

Thereafter, NE part of the region could see some hefty showers brought in on the N wind by late afternoon and through the evening, hard to say where will be hit but a slight tilt to a NNE would bring much of the eastern half of the region at threat. Coastal parts may see more in the way of sleety hail, but won't need to go too far inland for snow.

A cold night will then follow especially over the Penning snowfields, setting us up for a sparkling Monday, with temps inland struggling to get above freezing.

Proper January weather at last!

Here's hoping!