Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

I can't see much more in the way of shower activity where I am this evening. Only a very slight dusting on car roof. There will be ice though!

Let's hope next week comes off and we do get snow. (Imby)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Yeah but come on, this is a rarity.

Only had one very heavy snow shower about 16:15 and it was a cracker. Very dark, heavy snow blowing for about 20 mins.

I saw the anvil of that snow shower on my travels home, it went on like a long pointy finger

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

We're not there yet! Not by a long stretch!... but at least we now have some hope. :)

When you have ECM and UKMO signing off the same hymn sheet ....

I saw the anvil of that snow shower on my travels home, it went on like a long pointy finger

Oh it were a good un alright.

Lay a little on grass verges but all gone now.

Posted

Who says westerlies can't deliver snow to east coastal parts - this evening is proof they can.. indicative of a very deeply unstable airflow and very cold uppers, its the equivalent of the long draw unstable easterly delivering snow to us in the west, and we haven't even got trough features.

The set up is classic proper cold zonality.

In general the showers tend to fade as they reach the East Coast which is frustrating as it when it approches it looks good but then once it hits and leaves you, its much more faded and all is left is some cloud. 

The uppers are not all that cold in all honesty but flow is quite unstable but there could be some evidence of snow falling here by the morning but by the same token, they might not. 

Radar could be a little unpredictable as the showers will randomly develop and then head NE'wards but I don't expect vast amount of shower activity but you never know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

Yeah, we had three or four thunder claps around half five. The lightning was incredibly bright

Posted

It seems once again we miss out. The snow is just south of our region looking at the radar.

Bring on next week.

Edited by NorthEastSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Things froze over last night which has allowed a little bit of snow to stick but other than that we've avoided the worst

Now its a clear and cold start

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

its still white here, cold night froze the thin layer of snow. very slight thaw happening

Posted

Snow charts looking good for this region next week

168-780PUK.GIF?13-6192-780PUK.GIF?13-6216-780PUK.GIF?13-6240-780PUK.GIF?13-6

In the short term a thaw will take place tonight for those that have snow, with a band of rain slowly moving in from the west as we speak, It may be proceeded by some snow for a time on high ground but it will soon turn to rain as temperatures begin to rise

• Like 2

Posted

It's too good to be true, once it gets into the reliable timeframe then it's time to start celebrating :)

At least this time the met office are forecasting a colder week next week with some snow always nice to have them on board

UKMO aint too shabby either

UW144-21.GIF?14-17

Posted

GFS 12z is even better for the region next week

144-780UK.GIF?14-12168-780UK.GIF?14-12192-780UK.GIF?14-12216-780UK.GIF?14-12240-780UK.GIF?14-12

Big upgrade on the 06z

On all 5 of them charts there is a teeny tiny stretch of Northumberland Coast that isn't being hit!! Just happens to be right wher I am!!

Knowing the inaccuracy of these snow charts why leave that section out? Or am I really gonna miss it all?

Posted

I suppose it's just indicating the coastal strip will barely be cold enough to retain lying snow, and will get probably get somewhat less to start with.
It's only a computer generated guide.

Posted

The latest GFS is actually looking pretty awful for this region compared to most of the rest of England. Slider lows do NOT favour us. 

Posted

Looks like Durham is about to be dumped on!

Posted

Strengthening wind and some light rain in Darlington

Sleet and snow on higher ground initially before turning to rain

Posted

Why will it urn to rain? (Newby trying to learn) temp 3 dew point-1 I thought that gave a good chance for snow?

Posted

Why will it urn to rain? (Newby trying to learn) temp 3 dew point-1 I thought that gave a good chance for snow?

Temperatures are rising with this band of rain whats moving in we are getting snow / sleet on high ground initially as the air is cold but it will turn to rain once the air becomes less cold

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Evening Gordon,the dewpoints are pretty good at the moment but are set to rise above freezing in the next couple of hours as the front moves in with its slightly milder air.

now..post-2839-0-66262200-1421261025_thumb.gi  10pm..post-2839-0-69681900-1421261027_thumb.gi

The weekend and next week are a different story though. :smile: