Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Glad I'm not the only one. I drove 120 miles tonight to experience an all out blizzard. Well experienced driving on snow and I have my winter tyres on and a good set of tunes. Have seen 4 episodes of snow so far this winter from chasing, if I hadn't I wouldn't of seen anything so far. Real snow nutter. :)

Exactly. Better than watching the drivel on TV or going clubbing!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Plenty of sleet to my west but the temperature here is a bit high for anything wintry around 4c currently given a decent elevation you should see some snow today

Posted

We always seem to be getting these warning. I am no expert but i can’t see us getting anything again. It’s already been said it will no doubt be rain.

Posted

Snow warning up for the region, once again those of us in Teesside can look forward to rain :)

We always seem to be getting these warning. I am no expert but i can’t see us getting anything again. It’s already been said it will no doubt be rain.

Teesside isn't part of the warning currently

Issued at: 1137 on Mon 12 Jan 2015

Valid from: 1800 on Mon 12 Jan 2015

Valid to: 1200 on Wed 14 Jan 2015

Frequent showers of sleet or snow will affect Scotland and Northern Ireland from Monday evening into Tuesday. Accumulations of 2-4 cm of snow are likely above about 100 m, but also to low levels locally, and more widely over the northern half of Scotland, where more than 10 cm is likely above 300 m. Icy patches are likely to develop from early this evening. Hail and lightning will be additional hazards, especially close to western coasts. During Tuesday the risk of snow extends into northern England, especially across the Pennines and higher parts of Cumbria. Meanwhile, a more persistent spell of sleet and snow may settle at low levels across Scotland on Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption to transport.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A deep depression passing close to the north of Scotland will pull cold air across the northern parts of the UK as it passes, allowing the frequent showers to fall as sleet or snow in many parts. Near western coasts rain may predominate, although this increases the ice risk as road temperatures fall below zero. Hail and lightning are also likely to be hazards here. The colder air will extend further south during Tuesday with snow falling to progressively lower levels across northern England. On Tuesday night a more organised area of showery precipitation is likely to affect Scotland, which has the potential to produce several centimetres of snow at low levels, including the Central Belt, though details of this are rather uncertain at present. Ice is also likely to be a hazard again on Tuesday night. This warning will be reviewed and updated on Tuesday.

Areas covered

Northumberland, Durham, Gateshead, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, South Tyneside, Sunderland & Darlington

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1421107200&regionName=ne

They are forecasting sleet showers for Darlington tomorrow afternoon then light snow during the early hours of Wednesday

Posted

Teesside isn't part of the warning currently

Issued at: 1137 on Mon 12 Jan 2015

Valid from: 1800 on Mon 12 Jan 2015

Valid to: 1200 on Wed 14 Jan 2015

Frequent showers of sleet or snow will affect Scotland and Northern Ireland from Monday evening into Tuesday. Accumulations of 2-4 cm of snow are likely above about 100 m, but also to low levels locally, and more widely over the northern half of Scotland, where more than 10 cm is likely above 300 m. Icy patches are likely to develop from early this evening. Hail and lightning will be additional hazards, especially close to western coasts. During Tuesday the risk of snow extends into northern England, especially across the Pennines and higher parts of Cumbria. Meanwhile, a more persistent spell of sleet and snow may settle at low levels across Scotland on Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption to transport.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A deep depression passing close to the north of Scotland will pull cold air across the northern parts of the UK as it passes, allowing the frequent showers to fall as sleet or snow in many parts. Near western coasts rain may predominate, although this increases the ice risk as road temperatures fall below zero. Hail and lightning are also likely to be hazards here. The colder air will extend further south during Tuesday with snow falling to progressively lower levels across northern England. On Tuesday night a more organised area of showery precipitation is likely to affect Scotland, which has the potential to produce several centimetres of snow at low levels, including the Central Belt, though details of this are rather uncertain at present. Ice is also likely to be a hazard again on Tuesday night. This warning will be reviewed and updated on Tuesday.

Areas covered

Northumberland, Durham, Gateshead, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, South Tyneside, Sunderland & Darlington

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1421107200&regionName=ne

They are forecasting sleet showers for Darlington tomorrow afternoon then light snow during the early hours of Wednesday

Middlesbrough has got light snow forecast tomorrow afternoon and then light snow during early hours of Wesnesday as well so let's hope something happens. Got snow forecast on Friday as well at the moment

Posted

Snow showers already for parts of Northumberland if we are to see any at lower levels in the south of the region this afternoon, tonight and early tomorrow is our best chance the beeb have heavy snow for Darlington between 4am and 6am tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

An organised batch of precipitation is heading our way looking at the radar. That may spring a few surprises this afternoon/evening especially if in heavier outbursts

problem at the moment is the temp currently 5 degrees here and across teesside it is due to fall but it is warmer than forecast and what the bbc are suggesting for this time of the day which is 3 degrees

Posted

Cloud has rolled in over Darlington temp is too high for snow here atm

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

The main problem is almost no ppn is forecast for most of the region! north of Darlo, away from high ground/Pennines there is nowt... while the south gets a pasting! :(

Posted

The main problem is almost no ppn is forecast for most of the region! north of Darlo, away from high ground/Pennines there is nowt... while the south gets a pasting! :(

It's not even going to be snow anyway so don't worry about it. Sleet at best :D

Posted

It's not even going to be snow anyway so don't worry about it. Sleet at best :D

It will be snow across the west country and a large portion of the south.

Here, though, I doubt it.

Even the Easterly in the models doesn't currently look good for here - from Yorks south loads of snow though. You couldn't make it up! :/

Posted

Lets keep the faith... if there is any left.

I am sure if we got an Easterly we would do well out of it. Usually showers pop up out of nowhere on these situations.

Posted

Radar not great - something coming in might graze Durham, but nothing really from Durham north.

Posted

It will be snow across the west country and a large portion of the south.

Here, though, I doubt it.

Even the Easterly in the models doesn't currently look good for here - from Yorks south loads of snow though. You couldn't make it up! :/

I think you are reading too much into the charts Nick personally, I would not be surprised if we see some evidence of some snowfall by tomorrow morning. 

Just had a light shower which contained a few snowflakes so the potential is there. There is alot of thick high cloud around from the feature hitting further South and the radar looks a little unreliable in respect there is no individual shower you could follow that could hit you, its one of those of just looking out of the window and see what happens! 

Another light shower hitting here, mainly of rain but some sleetiness mixed in also. 

Posted

Temperatures are still too high for any snow here in Darlo (still around 5c) so I guess it'll be the same for other parts of the region without any substantial elevation later on it will be different once temperatures fall providing we have any precipitation around of course

Interesting update from the met office

UK Outlook for Sunday 18 Jan 2015 to Tuesday 27 Jan 2015:

A largely dry and cold day for most on Sunday, although there will be showers around northern and western coasts, falling as hail and sleet near immediate coasts and snow further inland. There is also a low risk of some more persistent rain and perhaps snow moving across southern and central areas for a time. Through next week, there is a trend towards generally colder conditions than of late bringing an increased risk of snow, more especially in northern and eastern areas. Temperatures will be generally below average with overnight frosts, locally severe. Winds will be generally moderate, but strong at times near coasts and heavy shower. There may also be some milder and wetter interludes.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Temperatures are still too high for any snow here in Darlo (still around 5c) so I guess it'll be the same for other parts of the region without any substantial elevation later on it will be different once temperatures fall providing we have any precipitation around of course

Interesting update from the met office

UK Outlook for Sunday 18 Jan 2015 to Tuesday 27 Jan 2015:

A largely dry and cold day for most on Sunday, although there will be showers around northern and western coasts, falling as hail and sleet near immediate coasts and snow further inland. There is also a low risk of some more persistent rain and perhaps snow moving across southern and central areas for a time. Through next week, there is a trend towards generally colder conditions than of late bringing an increased risk of snow, more especially in northern and eastern areas. Temperatures will be generally below average with overnight frosts, locally severe. Winds will be generally moderate, but strong at times near coasts and heavy shower. There may also be some milder and wetter interludes.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Just seen that, perhaps a glimmer of hope for us in the NE, it's been a while since most of us have seen lying snow so fingers crossed