Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Light snow here.  Temp -1c.  It does not look like the initial band will amount to much east of the pennies as its breaking up.  However there could be some significant showers later on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Snow falling here this morning from the band moving down from Scotland and with a temperature of -2c you don't have to worry about it being marginal!

Everywhere us proper white for this first time this year, had 2 days with snow lying so far but amounts were small and barely reached the 'covering 50% of ground' threshold.

Will see how much we get but at least it's proper snow.

Andy

Posted

Some light dandruff snow here with it settling on the ground instantly, makes it all the more frustrating its not heavier as of yet. 

Got to make the most of it whilst there is no wind because once that Northerly wind picks up, the temps and dewpoint will no dooubt ris. 

Posted

Snow falling here this morning from the band moving down from Scotland and with a temperature of -2c you don't have to worry about it being marginal!

Everywhere us proper white for this first time this year, had 2 days with snow lying so far but amounts were small and barely reached the 'covering 50% of ground' threshold.

Will see how much we get but at least it's proper snow.

Andy

Good news, lets hope it puts down a decent cover and can stick through the day. We have very low cloud at the moment, no winds and temps of -2.9 degrees.. snow incoming next hour I would think, off walking shortly...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Was -2c when i woke up half an hour ago, pretty frosty too... temperature now rising a little as its turning cloudier and awaiting for this band of showery snow to arrive. To be honest not expecting much from this but got my eyes on later tonight for the band of possibly heavy snow showers arriving from the northeast.

Posted

light/moderate snow in westmoor and its laying

post-7701-0-69163400-1421569936_thumb.jp

Edited by gazzac69

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

The hi-res NMM model has a thin band of snow spreading down from the North early tomorrow morning, so lets see how accurate it is.

attachicon.gifnmmuk-42-19-0.png

Pretty accurate on the timing but a bit out on the 'thin band' bit, its actually a lot wider than suggested from the NMM Hi res.

post-5386-0-91272900-1421569256_thumb.pn

© Netweather 5min radar V4

Posted

Pretty accurate on the timing but a bit out on the 'thin band' bit, its actually a lot wider than suggested from the NMM Hi res.

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2015-01-18 at 08.20.33.png

© Netweather 5min radar V4

Yes,more of a double band and a decent clump behind it as well.

Nice little covering here this morning and was quite heavy for a short while.

Posted

light/moderate snow in westmoor and its laying

Yep intensity has gained and its now back to snow again, don't think it will last long(although in these situations, the radar can be a bit unpredictable) but nice too look at nonetheless.

Today/tonight is our best and perhaps only realistic chance of seeing and getting some snowfall.

Posted

All eyes on what is developing behind this band.  It looks to be of higher intensity, but relatively thin in area at this point.

Posted

Yep intensity has gained and its now back to snow again, don't think it will last long(although in these situations, the radar can be a bit unpredictable) but nice too look at nonetheless.

Today/tonight is our best and perhaps only realistic chance of seeing and getting some snowfall.

No need to wait for tonight.  There is a proper covering here.  I am about to go out and make a snowlady with my daughter.  its -0.6c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Very sleety here in Jarrow, it's melting the frost off the rooftops. I knew I should have stayed in Stanley last night!

With the low overnight temps and now this wet stuff falling I don't fancy heading home yet, wouldn't be surprised if it gets quite icy on the roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

No need to wait for tonight.  There is a proper covering here.  I am about to go out and make a snowlady with my daughter.  its -0.6c

how high up are you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

I think there will be many more chances of snow this coming week with models showing signs of prolonging this cold spell and th uk stuck in the battleground with snow being a fine margin on some days. tues night may get some too

Also just starting to snow here now, be it very light.

Edited by doctor32

Posted

Shows how how patchy these situations can be because its gone lighter again and more sleety as raindrops are appearing on the windows

Posted

I think there will be many more chances of snow this coming week with models showing signs of prolonging this cold spell and th uk stuck in the battleground with snow being a fine margin on some days. tues night may get some too

Also just starting to snow here now, be it very light.

I just think the whole thing has turned farcical with how things turned out I have to say although in fairness some people have been awarded with some snow. 

Uppers are getting mixed out and with intensity don't look all that strong i can't see much coming off from any potential snow in terms of lower levels however would love to be proven wrong. 

Posted

Shows how how patchy these situations can be because its gone lighter again and more sleety as raindrops are appearing on the windows

Very strange.   Light snow here now.  Not sleet at all, its -0.5c

Posted

Snow here in Durham, but doesn't look like it'll last long.

Terribly jealous hearing reports from places near Oldham with 5-10cms easily. :(

Posted

Very strange.   Light snow here now.  Not sleet at all, its -0.5c

All down to intensity, we did get to the moderate stage but it didnt last long, looking at Gaz's photos it certainly not like that here, its just looks really icy with the frost thawing. One of those where if the band was stronger, it will be of snow for sure.

Kind of sums up how this cold snap has went sadly, hoping for some surprises tonight even if the forecast looks underwhelming.