Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

lots of confirmation there then that warnings have been issued :)    I get the feeling there are snow starved members sitting hammering the F5 key on their keyboards

• Like 3

Posted

I get the feeling there are snow starved members sitting hammering the F5 key on their keyboards

Haha !! I tried to hit a delete button (pity there isn't one on the forum software) when I saw how many other folk had replied the same time as I did. Personally, I have little interest in low-level snow, because it's actually a PITA and the only snow I'm interested in is above 500 metres ;-) It's the wind warnings that I was interested in (and don't want to see) and would much rather the train of gales steered clear of Scotland for a while :) .

Edited by moffatross

lots of confirmation there then that warnings have been issued :)    I get the feeling there are snow starved members sitting hammering the F5 key on their keyboards

No, no, we've obviously all just looked in at the same time :whistling:

Even the thought of 2cm is getting me excited, how sad is that?

That's some dry air around now, the temp/dew points here is 6.8ºC/-0.2ºC. It's unusual to see the humidity at 60% outside :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Going to be a intriguing 48 hours coming up me thinks (if anything does lie on the ground that will be more than last winter) ;) All the snow well virtually all the snow that was on the mountains here has gone but I got a feeling it will be back soon enough..................

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

North Sea Borgholm Dolphin Rig (~bang in the middle between Aberdeen and Norway I understand) getting hit by some big waves in the recent storm.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Just had a short, blustery shower of wet snow. Didn't settle but looks like the trend is going the right way. 

Temp has fallen through the morning & currently 4.0ºC/1.5ºC

'Mon the snaw!

Edit: Another, even heavier shower - mainly snaw. This bodes well for later on today & into tomorrow. 

'Mon the cauld zonal pattern!

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Light snow and high winds just appeared in cumbernauld, very dark!

Posted

Ah well....2-4cm is better than nothing (as the actress said to the bishop!)

Likewise Blitzen, I would happily take 2cm's of snow given we haven't had any lying snow this winter or last. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Had some sleet in the last shower that battered through here (Riccarton, W Embra).

A68 Soutra getting the good stuff.

Could be a nice commute home.

post-9421-0-00585200-1421066622_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Just been out with the dogs and that wind would take your face off.   It is fffreezing.   Looking good for later I think (hope)

3.9c/1.8c

• Like 2

Posted

Possibly my favourite winter was 1984 with some real heavy snowfall from the West or North West. I'm not saying for a minute that there will be the same level of snow but there are definitely similarities with the current set up with the Azores High sitting stuck to our South West in 1984 and a strong Polar Vortex in early January over North East Canada/Greenland. Uppers were low enough to make the Atlantic a snow making machine.

Rrea00119840112.gif

Edited by Blizzardo
  • Like 4

Posted

Possibly my favourite winter was 1984 with some real heavy snowfall from the West or North West. I'm not saying for a minute that there will be the same level of snow but there are definitely similarities with the current set up with the Azores High sitting stuck to our South West in 1984 and a strong Polar Vortex in early January over North East Canada/Greenland. Uppers were low enough to make the Atlantic a snow making machine.

Aye, remember it well!   Favourite winter of all time for me.   Somehow though, I don't think we will be lucky enough to get that again, not this year anyway.   Would love to be proved wrong though!

Posted

It's the wind warnings that I was interested in (and don't want to see) and would much rather the train of gales steered clear of Scotland for a while :) .

I see there was some ski-ing at Leadhills yesterday, but I imagine most skiers would be looking for a bit of respite from the gales for a while.

• Like 1

Thought I heard thunder. It's so windy though it's hard to tell

The lightning detector on NW Radar is reporting lightning not that far away from you, so it could well have been :)

Posted

Aye, remember it well!   Favourite winter of all time for me.   Somehow though, I don't think we will be lucky enough to get that again, not this year anyway.   Would love to be proved wrong though!

You're probably right that we'd need a lot of luck but over the last couple of weeks I was thinking that there were definite similarities and was surprised when how alike both January's were/are when looking through the archives this morning. What we don't seem to get so often is upgrades in the snow potential as it gets closer to T0, it more often seems to downgrade. There used to be a lot more surprise snowfalls back in the late 70's/80's - although maybe that's just the memory playing tricks.

Posted

I think it could have been a close call for similarity this year.   The thing that appears to have been missing is the lack of  low pressure around Italy.   Just too much high pressure in that area this year - (I think!)

You're probably right that we'd need a lot of luck but over the last couple of weeks I was thinking that there were definite similarities and was surprised when how alike both January's were/are when looking through the archives this morning. What we don't seem to get so often is upgrades in the snow potential as it gets closer to T0, it more often seems to downgrade. There used to be a lot more surprise snowfalls back in the late 70's/80's - although maybe that's just the memory playing tricks.

Maybe the Atlantic was cooler back in '84? We've been close but no cigar a few times recently.

I'm surprised at how low the dew point has gone, down to -1.3ºC with a temp of 6.8ºC, humidity now down to 55% which seems very low.

Posted

Had a bit of everything so far today. Lightning struck the cathedral and sorting office in town this morning apparently, and the hail showers are pretty hefty when they come through.

Getting a bit tired of the wind now, got to admit!

Posted

Squally snow showers now rattling through and we have a dusting again.Now down to 0.6c and still very strong wind.

Posted

Just saw the forecast on BBC news and it showed some semi-organised precipitation (shown as snow on their graphics) over the central belt tonight for a few hours around 11pm onwards. and then showers tomorrow with more organised precipitation again over the central belt for tomorrow evening for a time. It then briefly showed some transient snow on wednesday which turns to rain however as the low exits, their graphic showed a 'scorpion tail' shaped area of snow feeding over the central belt again from the west, north west. I know it won't work out like that down to a tee however it does suggest that there may well be one or two surprises over the next few days. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

There was a sleet shower in central Edinburgh at about 13.25. Freezing in that wind