Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Morning all,

Dry and breezy, 1.3c here in Crail.

Met Office forecast mentions snow showers and moderate accumulations being possible over hills. Take from that what you will! Might have to wait for the warning updates later this morning to get a clearer take on things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Good morning from a snowy Inverness! -1.2'C, -2.4'C dew point and occasional gusts of wind into the mid 20s. Just had another heavy shower, big fluffy flakes and even settling on the sides of the house (always a good sign!). A bit over an inch thus far. Here's hoping for a snowy day, the radar looks interesting!

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 4

Posted

Quite intense hail showers this morning, looked like snow from outside the window but stepping outside the front door to the car confirmed it was hail. Lying quite thickly in EK and wouldn't be surprised to see quite a covering of actual snow when I get back home from work this afternoon.

• Like 1

TAF EGPF 130503Z 1306/1406 24012KT 9999 SCT025 TEMPO 1306/1406

27017G27KT 4000 SHRASN BKN009CB PROB30 TEMPO 1310/1318 1400 TSSN

BKN004 PROB30 TEMPO 1405/1406 0500 +SHSN BKN002 =

I've highlighted two parts of the TAF (weather forecast) for Glasgow Airport. The first part is very interesting as the letters TSSN stand for ThunderStorm and Snow, this is possible between 10.00 and 18.00 today. I've never, in all my years of weather watching, seen a forecast for ThunderSnow. Fingers crossed for anyone within five miles of the airport that this is correct. The second part I've highlighted is for heavy snow showers between 05.00 and 06.00 tomorrow morning, this seems very specific and it's quite unusual to see a pure snow forecast in the TAF for Glasgow Airport, it's almost always RASN at best which is RainSnow, or more specifically sleet.

These forecasts are produced by the Met-O, so we can see how accurate they are later :D

More info on TAFs here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_aerodrome_forecast

It's worthwhile spending a wee bit of time looking at the codes for the METARs and TAFs as you can then read the info quite easily:

http://www.flyingineurope.be/metar_taf_decode.htm

Glasgow Airport METAR and TAF (scroll to the bottom for the TAF) can be found here:

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/cgi-bin/metartafsearch/both.cgi?choice=egpf&Hours=23&submit.x=6&submit.y=8

Edinburgh Airport:

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/cgi-bin/metartafsearch/both.cgi?choice=egph&Hours=23&submit.x=6&submit.y=8

Prestwick Airport (this TAF has ThunderSnow forecast between 3pm and 8pm today):

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/cgi-bin/metartafsearch/both.cgi?choice=egpk&Hours=23&submit.x=6&submit.y=8

Apologies that I don't know more airport codes, there must be codes for Aberdeen and other airports further north :(

Edit: Thanks to DrMog for the code, this should be Aberdeen licked:

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/cgi-bin/metartafsearch/both.cgi?choice=egpd&Hours=23&submit.x=6&submit.y=8

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Zilch for us over night. It's lethal outside though, the pavements and roads are sheet ice. T is currently 0.5c.

Posted

Mobile Rodent Patrollers (Cats) all queuing up to get in the house this morning as powdery snow falls from the sky .We are now white and there seems to be more to come and with a frozen base we may keep it for a while. 71% RH which is very low for air from the west. Things will start to dry up now.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Loving all your snow reports, so jealous ! Send me some snow pics please

From snowy in Snowless part of East lothian .

Edited by snowy owl

For the record the ICAO code for Aberdeen is EGPD.

Still missing all the snow here though.

Thanks DrMog :) I will update my post accordingly so that there's an easy link for anyone who is interested to follow. The METARs and TAFs look a bit like gibberish at first but I find them pretty accurate :)

Onto another matter....who broke the ECM this morning? Pressure rises towards Scandinavia, I had to double check the date/time stamps to make sure I wasn't dreaming!! Talk about pattern change :D :D :D

From this:

post-2844-0-55166900-1421136388_thumb.gi

To this:

post-2844-0-15765200-1421136390_thumb.gipost-2844-0-34596300-1421136389_thumb.gi

BOOM!!!! Here comes winter. OK, so it's only one run but we've not seen this from the ECM for a long time :D :D

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

When rain moves in from the Atlantic coastal Ayrshire gets it share....when snow moves in from the Atlantic seems Ulster gets plastered and then there's nothing left...hopefully the snow charts will be wrong and that snow will make an appearance in Scotland's least snowiest area.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

We're being whumphed here - it's on and it's staying on!

Already got about an inch and currently 0.4C/0C.

Snowday!

• Like 3

Posted

A dusting here this morning. More icy than anything on the pavements though.

Not expecting anything out of this at all so anything that turns up will be a bonus.

Temp was 1.1 Deg when I got up and dew point below freezing. ( Don't know how much as it's the cheepo Aldi/Lidl can't remember which, weather station )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Meant to be at college but due to "snow giving slight covering" guess what? Yes first bus have diverted buses away from my area (Castlemilk)! What a farce. Now we have thundersnow (which is maybe a first?). Firstbus are saying diverted because of ice and snow. Hmmm...

Edited by Bullseye

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Blizzard like conditions over the last 40 minutes around Dundee and South Angus areas. As it was peak time for folks heading to work, it's all got a bit chaotic on the roads as cars get stuck on hills around Dundee streets and some accidents on main roads from Perth and Angus. Be interesting to see if showers keep reaching this far east throughout the day or shift back west again.

• Like 1

Posted

Nice covering this morning and roads are dreadful, not a gritter in sight. Frequent snaw and hail showers keep rattling through.

I saw Laura on GMTV mention the central belt for a doing later today.

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 1

Posted

Wife just phoned to say she was walking to work and resembled Olaf from Frozen. Apparently heavy snow in Darvel then.

School is closed due to no heating so looks like I may have to go home early.

Maybe we'll get something decent after all.

Nothing in Prestwick. Dry as a bone.

• Like 2