Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

We now have covering of about 2cms after a morning of sharp snow showers. Icicles are hanging from roofs in the shade where the upper part is in the sun and the lower part shaded. The first icicles forming this winter during daylight hours. Temperature hovering around 0c so almost an ice day. Will try to add photos later.

A photo to the southpost-2744-0-75902000-1421161560_thumb.jp showing an incoming snow shower as I walked down to the turnip field to move the fence

A couple of photos to the northpost-2744-0-25143600-1421161528_thumb.jppost-2744-0-06771000-1421161540_thumb.jp showing the same shower moving west to east along the Firth.

Shades of November 2010 only from the opposite direction!

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted

Fully ready for zero snow to disrupt my TV viewing tonight...

The MO sometimes leave me speechless - one extreme to another, they're really on a hiding to nothing...

Posted

Bit of snow shower there through Paisley - seems to only last barely 2 mins these showers - frustrating - but at least it's not rain and first safternoon after quiet cold day, so hopefully signs of things to come.

Edited by grifter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

We've got about 6cm so far, showers becoming more organised by the looks of the radar. Little in the way of melt today as it was an ice day (hooray).

• Like 3

Posted

I think that's true, certainly the M 8 fiasco a few years back (which didn't look any more severe the night before than this one even though it looked like delivering more than the warning at the time suggested) has maybe made them err on the side of caution, but 5-8cm for much of the region covered is entirely plausible. My main issue with it is that this was the same level of warning that the Western Isles had out on Thursday night when they had hurricane force winds. Now I understand that this undoubtedly impacts more people but it is one of the irritating things about the warning system that a very severe event in a less populated area gets the same warning out as a far less severe event in a densely populated area when they are of course very different things. 

The MetO's matrix for warnings is based on both severity of the weather and the impact (which is deemed to be greater in heavily populated areas,etc). but I do feel that they need to make some adjustments to the weighting of these factors as the current warnings system isn't getting it quite right, particularly for rural and highland areas.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Can I take this opportunity to mention the benefits of winter tyres?  :ninja:

----

0.8 C here. Borders show shield holding firm. Frost has hung around all day so if the shield goes down, ground is ready...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Not a sausage here yet (apart from brief shower this morning) although waiting to see what happens in the next hour or two .

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

The rain/Snow seems to hit the western hills and mountains and then drop off the radar. Everytime you think it is coming it fizzles out! :nonono:

Posted

The rain/Snow seems to hit the western hills and mountains and then drop off the radar. Everytime you think it is coming it fizzles out! :nonono:

Noticed that on the (disappointment) radar big beefy precip seems to vanish into thin air when it hits the West coast.

Posted

Crazy Hail shower in Prestwick at the mo.

Will report if anything over in Darvel shortly.

Radar looks quite good to be honest unless what's coming dies before it gets here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Snow starting to lie now :)

Not sure if this is the more organised front moving in or just a shower but promising signs with everything looking condusive to a good snowfall. Fingers crossed :)

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Looks on the radar to be a big blob of snow approaching Glasgow from the Firth of Clyde area just now, hopefully it makes it here as snow.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

Snow starting to lie now :)

Not sure if this is the more organised front moving in or just a shower but promising signs with everything looks condusive to a good snowfall. Fingers crossed :)

Looks like just a small shower, but there is an area of more organised precipitation starting to move in from the west. Could be the beginning of the more prolonged forecast snow!

Don't know why people think the MO are wrong to issue an amber warning tonight - there's a good chance of disruptive snow during both rush hours over the Central Belt. Latest WRF-NMM is really going for it, with prolonged and heavy snow streamers setting up over our area.  :D I would be happy with even just a covering tomorrow morning; not had any lying snow so far this winter, although there was a very slight dusting of hail today.

In the longer term, models are looking much more promising for sustained cold, courtesy of the MJO moving (almost!) into phase 8 I think. Interesting times ahead for sure  :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Topped up to around the 14cm mark after todays very persistent snow. Bouts where it has got tasty indeed with prolonged heavy showers, but some calm intervals too with light, powdery showers. Currently -1.5C and snowing. Took this obligatory 'bin shot' when I was out getting logs about 20 mins ago. Hopefully more to come for us all in the next 24hrs

edit- apologies the photo is side-ways, i've not been on the drams I promise, just wouldn't post straight from my iphone for whatever reason?

post-12555-0-21410300-1421167978_thumb.j

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 4

Posted

I don't think I will be troubled by snow for my commute from the east end to the southside this evening. I've got a good view from the office and the showers that have made it through have been skirting the top of the Cathkin Braes and hitting East Kilbride before heading into South Lanarkshire. The photo is of one making its way at 16.30. The back end of the of the cloud seems to be sporting an angry pig face! :blink2:

post-11598-0-42281200-1421167887_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted

Got this from twitter....this may be what you are talking about AWT as was above Glasgowattachicon.gifIMG_20150113_165353.jpg

I'm 99% Certain that's what I saw from the distance (and I seen lightning in it too) it's moving away now. Second time i've saw it so up close

Posted

I've got a good view from the office and the showers that have made it through have been skirting the top of the Cathkin Braes and hitting East Kilbride before heading into South Lanarkshire. The photo is of one making its way at 16.30. The back end of the of the cloud seems to be sporting an angry pig face! :blink2:

That was an impressive shower cloud about 20 miles South of here in the Strathaven area and it formed from nowhere on the Ayrshire Coast around Ayr/Prestwick. The pale grey/blue wintry sky has been replaced by cloud cover but no snow yet.