Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Consistently lovely pics Benvironment, if you're gonna up sticks Kishorn takes some beating

Fairly dramatic loss of snow cover but it is thankfully still intact. LS reliable as ever, we had a wee shower 15 mins ago and it was snow. "Tony Blair" cold has returned

Currently 1c

Cheers :)  It's certainly 'bracing'.  Kind of wished I'd headed out east instead as the hills were uniform white from Pitlochry to Inverness, and it's certainly colder in & around the Cairngorms.  But you're right, this part of the world still takes some beating.  Managed to crawl up a wee 1000ft lump this morning in between the constant hail showers.  Good job I brought my ski goggles with me!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Looking good for some snow up here tonight and tomorrow - Meto Yellow Alert out for snow, accompanied by thunder, woohoo!

Currentl cold and windy: Temp 4C, Dew 2C, Wind SW @ 25kts gusting 40kts

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Which Thread is the Steve murr snowscale in

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

Looking good for some snow up here tonight and tomorrow - Meto Yellow Alert out for snow, accompanied by thunder, woohoo!

Currentl cold and windy: Temp 4C, Dew 2C, Wind SW @ 25kts gusting 40kts

When is it likely to snow, how much do you think we will get?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Linked on Lomonds post above Edo

I reckoned the differences between some of the levels were a bit on the subtle side. The best thing was one of the linked Youtubes videos at the end of one of some dicksplash failing to get his huge softroader away from a slightly snowy parking place at the road side. Obviously didn't have winter tyres on, but the trouble with a lot of those vehicles is the very size of their wheels - there's not enough downward force to get through the slush. Laughable. Better off in a Morris Minor.

Had a succession of fierce showers here today, some a bit on the wintry side (and saw a couple of flashes to the west when I was down by the lighthouse earlier) but hopefully a bit more so by morning. This winter's already had more of a bite than pretty well all of last winter in total - we had a grand total of one November day of lying snow last year...

• Like 2

Posted

Linked on Lomonds post above Edo

Manyvthanks and good luck as I see you are moderating in the Model thread this evening :)

Posted

I reckoned the differences between some of the levels were a bit on the subtle side. The best thing was one of the linked Youtubes videos at the end of one of some dicksplash failing to get his huge softroader away from a slightly snowy parking place at the road side. Obviously didn't have winter tyres on, but the trouble with a lot of those vehicles is the very size of their wheels - there's not enough downward force to get through the slush. Laughable. Better off in a Morris Minor.

Had a succession of fierce showers here today, some a bit on the wintry side (and saw a couple of flashes to the west when I was down by the lighthouse earlier) but hopefully a bit more so by morning. This winter's already had more of a bite than pretty well all of last winter in total - we had a grand total of one November day of lying snow last year...

Aye it was the day we finished lifting a store of neeps for the winter and we could have lifted neeps all winter after that from fairly dry ground. Today some of our neighbours teenage kids thought they would take a short cut across our ploughed fields to deliver Christmas cards. I think it was probably the best workout the have ever had as they were exhausted when they got up to the farm ground is absolutely saturated and very sticky. Will probably  only say this here but for me this has been a very wintry month so far with snow patches still left from a couple of days ago tonight. Of course it helps that we are a lot nearer to the North Pole than other parts of the UK. Young Mr.Northernlights took pity on the kids and gave them a lift  home.! 1c and snowing as I type.

• Like 1

Posted

Some shameless cherrypicking of charts here....maybe not the best for central belt but plenty of snow for many.....many slitting wrists on MO but fergie and those of wisdom seem to feel all is still OK as we move slowly towards a pattern change....some saying SSW may be delayed but I will need to go to the strat thread to actually establish what is really happening

post-15765-0-13172800-1418589465_thumb.p

post-15765-0-78008000-1418589484_thumb.p

post-15765-0-50810100-1418589512_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Yeah, 13 levels is a bit overkill given it's a subjective scale anyway. 

Looks like Shetland's going to steal our snow again tomorrow:

14121506_1412.gif 14121518_1412.gif

Bits and pieces south of the Highlands but not likely to be much in the way of proper snow given it's so marginal. Longer term, steady as she goes, with similar trends upstream with that Alaskan ridge starting to build in FI and hints of something brewing over Greenland again in deep FI (three runs in a row with something similar on the GFS (P))

gfsnh-0-336.png?12

Up to that point some reasonable eye candy at points from more transient north/northwesterlies, detailed still to be pinned down but they're so frequent that one of these likely to coincide with the festive period...

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 6

Posted

I was tracking a shower on the radar all the way from South of Mull that passed across Loch Lomond as sleet. All the while my temperature was dropping down to 2.8c with the dew at 1.4c. As soon as it arrived temperature rose rapidly to 3.3c/2.1C and it was rain all the way. Aw well, lamppost watch over for the night. 

• Like 1

Posted

I was tracking a shower on the radar all the way from South of Mull that passed across Loch Lomond as sleet. All the while my temperature was dropping down to 2.8c with the dew at 1.4c. As soon as it arrived temperature rose rapidly to 3.3c/2.1C and it was rain all the way. Aw well, lamppost watch over for the night. 

Think I drove through it, dreich and very wet on M80 earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Just went in the Model ramp and banter thread. Was like intruding on a bunch of nursery weans. 

Not a flake of snow witnessed here in Glasgow yet but plenty of time. As a purely unscientific study, from memory I think we've tended to get an average of one decent snow fall per year in this city. Now last year we had nothing on that front, and in 2009/10 and 2010/11 winters we got spoilt, so I think there's still plenty of hope for some sort of neige this year. As I said, purely unscientific. The charts posted on here give me genuine reason to hope we might get something.

Seems kind of an average winter so far. Not too cold (although the wind today was a bit frigid at times), and thankfully little blowtorch mildness. I have to wear a big coat etc to go outside so it feels the way it should be. Would prefer some snow on the ground and if not possible, at least some deep frost and very cold temps. Despite the absence of both though, there's not much to complain about.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 3

Posted

The car's covered in half-frozen slush... wondering if the next wave might have a bit more intensity - uppers at -4C, dropping to -6C here overnight so with a fetch over snowy ground (Wester Ross and Inverness-shire), we might be in for a treat.  Fingers crossed...

edit... hmm well, big fat sleety snow going splatty splatter splat!

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Peeps! Calm with light cloud here today, temp 3.9. One of my weather stations showed a max temp of 18c on Saturday morning. HAH! I knew it was to get milder, but that was just ridiculous! Time for an overhaul and clean out for that one I think. Since it's dry I may venture outside and clean the windows. last week's blast has left them a tad murky and I won't be able to see the snow falling.....that's if it ever arrives!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Car doors welded shut again this morning. Everything just looked wet but it was 100% solid ice.  It is rain/sleeting in the Fort this afternoon, feeling chilly and looking very dreich at the moment.

Posted

Snow flurry to start the day with frozen ground and masses of ice everywhere.Now sunny and currently 1.5c.

We are into our fifth day of large frozen  snow patches lying in shaded areas  so a totally different December to last year

Posted

Nothing much changed on the charts today...A case of watching the PM blast Friday to see how closely we will just miss out on snow and get sleet... Woops sound like a depressed MOD Thread contributor

• Like 4

Posted

Lovely photos again!

Very pleasant day in NE Fife with good sunny spells. Chilly with a high of 4c. Just missed out on an air frost last night at +0.4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just missed out on an air frost last night at +0.4c.

Same here, low of 0.5C and no frost to speak of. Been a nice looking day outside today, chilly first thing and on way home from work. Temp outside was down to -0.8C earlier but back to 0.0C now so doesn't seem to know what it wants to do.

Posted

We braved the Bealach na Ba today.  The snow line had indeed lowered overnight but thankfully the gritting team had been out.  Such an amazing road!

attachicon.gifIMG_4609.jpg

Parked at the top and took a stroll in the sunshine and snow.  Not nearly as windy as forecast up there, so it was a really beautiful afternoon to be on the tops:

attachicon.gifIMG_4592.jpg

Those guys are doing well to keep that open. Is there still a sign at the bottom saying something like 'road normally impassable in wintry conditions'?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Those guys are doing well to keep that open. Is there still a sign at the bottom saying something like 'road normally impassable in wintry conditions'?

There is indeed!  Flippin' great big signs at that.  I did watch a lorry almost getting stuck on the final hairpin.  Came sooooo close!

• Like 1