IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Aaaaand back to model discussion...

• Like 1

Posted

we have the first modelled wintry charts of the season upcoming (within a generally reliable timeframe) and as per winters prior to last, there are upgrades as well as the odd downgrade. We got used to so many years with downgrades that to see a solution where the intensity or duration of cold is increased within the next few runs is refreshing.

What we know is that there will be features running around the base of the upper trough. it would be a surprise if we got to the end of next weekend and nowhere across the uk found themselves with a decent snowfall. (Away from hills)

The extended ECM ens have consistently shown a push east of the Azores ridge as we get beyond mid month, bringing less cold uppers. That was reflected in the ens London T2 maxes. I wonder if a more pronounced trough next weekend may have an effect on this evolution?

• Like 6

Posted

Great to see the ECM offering wintry potential for next weekend in particular. The chart that Cloud 10 posted is snowfest even with -4 uppers as there is a slack flow from the land. Of course, that's only a possibility at this stage but nice to see.

On the other hand, both the GFS and the ECM seem confident in flattening the pattern after next weekend and tuning mild with no heights in the Arctic.

Karyo

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Great to see the ECM offering wintry potential for next weekend in particular. The chart that Cloud 10 posted is snowfest even with -4 uppers as there is a slack flow from the land. Of course, that's only a possibility at this stage but nice to see.

On the other hand, both the GFS and the ECM seem confident in flattening the pattern after next weekend and tuning mild with no heights in the Arctic.

Karyo

Indeed but when Ian f talks of nothing sustained through December does feel me with dread the models do reflect this to degree little worrying to say the least.

Posted

Indeed but when Ian f talks of nothing sustained through December does feel me with dread the models do reflect this to degree little worrying to say the least.

In a way we are making the best of a bad situation but I also get the feeling that our luck may be running out looking at the models past next weekend.

We need a stratospheric warming pronto!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Karyo

I don't think the pattern will flatten out after next weekend, I can see further reloads of cold air from the nw in the run up to xmas..incidentally, the MO further outlook is for cold incursions mixed with less cold wet and windy spells into next year so no suggestion of mild mush taking over I'm pleased to say. Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 8

Posted

Heres the saviour shortwave over Canada:

attachicon.gifECH1-144.gif

For newbies I've arrowed the direction of energy, the whole thing fluidly moves anti-clockwise, you can see this shortwave will engage the cut off low and it rides in on a more amplified wave upstream, as this phases it helps to pull those low heights nw and allows the high to ridge further ne.

The more dig of the jet over the eastern USA the further ne the high will get pushed, it does flatten out somewhat at T216hrs but I wouldn't worry about this just yet.

We have to hope for a bit more amplification in future runs, however the key trigger is that shortwave that gets the ball rolling.

I'm not too sure I'm following this Nick. Are you saying the low off the eastern seaboard engages the low Greenland and amplifies the upper trough leading to the situation  as shown? At the same time pushing Mid Atlantic HP east.

Charts courtesy weatherbell

post-12275-0-56278300-1417895677_thumb.p

post-12275-0-37640900-1417895688_thumb.p

post-12275-0-43326000-1417895695_thumb.p

post-12275-0-05657800-1417895704_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

All in all an enjoyable period of model watching, even if it isn't quite the 'perfect' HLB synoptics

S

Yes, Steve, I think you could well be right?? I do, however, think that when (if) it does happen, it'll initially take all the models by surprise...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A few posts have been moved/deleted/edited, Please only discuss the 'Model Outputs' as per thread title. There are other threads open for anything other than.

PM.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Matt Hugo is going for a full on SSW  around Jan 7th .... good luck Matt with that . 

i got this from twitter and im really looking forward to that event, something else which is doing the rounds is the deep low progged for middle of next week has been marked as a sub < 930mb low. by Ryan Maue. 

Warm seclusion / Icelandic Low forecast to generate 50-60 foot waves next week ... deep low pressure < 930 mb

post-18134-0-92683200-1417896672_thumb.p

Is it possible the models are underestimating the low values of next weeks storm?

edit... sos i meant over estimating the depth of next weeks storm 

Edited by bryan629
  • Like 2

Posted

Forecasters nightmare coming up next weekend. Experience tells me that snow is unlikely to be this extensive:

150-779UK.GIF?06-12

Also, we often see mild sectors creeping in as T0 approaches - if so, it's a case of how far east this goes?

I'd say if you live 150m above sea level, away from the coast, there's a good chance of seeing white stuff anywhere by next weekend. For lower areas, it's one of those instances where you may get a "surprise snowfall", but odds in favour of extremely cold rain with the odd flake on the windscreen.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The ECM mean suggests little support for the op at D9, which is usually  the case with ECM:

post-14819-0-37482900-1417897822_thumb.g  post-14819-0-96552400-1417897832_thumb.g

The ECM op Northerly at D7 has probably less than 50% support on it's ensembles:

post-14819-0-36573700-1417897930_thumb.p  GFS mean: post-14819-0-38662600-1417897944_thumb.p

The ECM mean is not as strong for the Northerly as the GFS, and the latter had about 50% support. 

However both the GFS Op and Control and the ECM op and UKMO all go for the Northerly so at the moment they could have spotted the trend and be leading the way. Either way there are good clusters on both models so remains a possibility.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Let's not forget it's looking cold for most of the time before that arctic surge even arrives, it's only Tuesday when temperatures go up a bit as the wet and windy weather blows through quickly followed by colder uppers and increasingly wintry showers. There is already very good agreement on our first proper cold blast later next week and including the weekend..just the opening salvo of wintry weather ahead...BANK :-)

• Like 2

Posted

The ECM mean suggests little support for the op at D9, which is usually  the case with ECM:

attachicon.gifECM1-216-5.GIF  attachicon.gifEDM1-216-2.GIF

The ECM op Northerly at D7 has probably less than 50% support on it's ensembles:

attachicon.gifEDH1-168.GIF.png  GFS mean: attachicon.gifgensnh-21-1-168.png

The ECM mean is not as strong for the Northerly as the GFS, and the latter had about 50% support. 

However both the GFS Op and Control and the ECM op and UKMO all go for the Northerly so at the moment they could have spotted the trend and be leading the way. Either way there are good clusters on both models so remains a possibility.

Where you have both GFS and ECM (and indeed other models) ops all going for a potent northerly for several consecutive runs at this range, then it is very likely to happen. The ensembles, especially the GFS do tend to have to be dragged along kicking and screaming after the op has spotted the likely solution in near FI.

It's pretty clear to me that at the end of next week there is going to be a northerly. A backtrack at this point would be surprising and embarrassing, although of course we have seen them before at closer range than this. Ignoring that fairly remote possibility, the main questions for me are

1. How potent will it be?

2. To what extent will it be associated with snowfall (and how far south) and

3. How long will it last?

As to 3 I have saw no runs this morning suggesting it will be more than a snap, but that is definitely FI at this point and Nick L's post above is tantalising in that respect!

• Like 1

Posted

So beyond day 10, we're looking at a continuation of the cool-to-cold theme going by the EPS, and remaining unsettled. Interestingly, there also remain tentative hints of heights dropping over Europe and a Scandi high setting up shop in the far realms of FI.

As far as I can see on the extended anomaly has the HP is quite away to the east and the main players remain the LP to the NW and HP to the SW giving this unsettled W/NW flow with about average temps. Which agrees with your assessment? T240-336

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Hi Nick-  is that in the 216-240 arena or further deep into FI- 288 -300?

cheers

S

Around the 288 mark, but the signal persists in some form all the way through to the end at +360.

As far as I can see on the extended anomaly has the HP is quite away to the east and the main players remain the LP to the NW and HP to the SW giving this unsettled W/NW flow with about average temps. Which agrees with your assessment?

Yes this is the predominant theme, but it's good to see some hints of the HP further west.

Either way, mild is not a word I'd use to describe the further outlook.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 8

Posted

Normally at this point I search around the NCEP state forecasts in the USA to see which model they prefer for that important shortwave, unfortunately this isn't really much help tonight because this is really mainly effecting Canada.

In terms of which model they prefer for the coastal low near New England they are still leaning towards the ECM for that.The ECM ensembles for De Bilt show the operational run departs from the main cluster and becomes a cold outlier on days 9 and 10.

The actual change starts relatively early and this has such a big impact on the how the pattern evolves that I think we'll just have to wait to tomorrow to see if those ensembles move towards the operational or if this is a one hit wonder.

Posted

Around the 288 mark, but the signal persists in some form all the way through to the end at +360.

Yes this is the predominant theme, but it's good to see some hints of the HP further west.

Either way, mild is not a word I'd use to describe the further outlook.

For me, the striking aspect is frequency of 'dartboard' lows to N (or even over) UK dominating the 12z clusters out to T+360. A very unsettled look indeed.

• Like 6