Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Morning all. Woke up at 1:30 to the peachy glow, and looked out to a winter wonderland.

Went back to sleep and woke up at 07:30 to blobs of sleet on the window and now its cold rain and the temp has gone from 1.5C to 2.5C.

My theory on the current weather.......

Cold air moving down to the west of Scotland from the north west

Meets warmer seas there. Produces a band of probably snow showers (off the west coast of Scotland)

The angle is correct on these showers to move down into the warm Irish Sea.

Picks up more moisture and intensifies into a virtual low pressure area, with snow on the front edge.

Develops a litte bit more with winds off the warm(er)  Irish Sea.

Develops a smallish mild sector.

Moves into the Midlands and the snow turns to sleet and rain under the mild sector.

East stays coldest for longest, but misses some of the precipitation.

Looks like a repeat over the last couple of days, though the 'polar low' formed a deeper low and hence moved further east.

Conditions are extremely 'marginal; at the moment.. (Probably due to us not having a true Northerly blast yet).

Remember this air (over us) arrived from the WNW originally.

It the winds stays the same direction we could expect some sort of repeat over the next few days.

HOWEVER, the air to the north does appear to be getting colder and the winds are slowly swinging more and more northerly over the next few days.

The sea temps are presumably falling, so they are likely to be less marginal as we move frorward..

So we must all be patient and see what happens.

Sorry to have bored you all!!!! .

Probably totally incorrect. :nonono:  :nonono:  :cc_confused:  :cc_confused:  :D  :D

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Cold rain, sleet, snow, then back to rain - a proper grim morning. This cold spell turning into a none event, which is a real shame as it had much promise!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Looks like I'm not alone, then: really thought I might at least get a >50% cover a 9am morning. But no. A few scrappy bits and pieces hanging on in the darkest corners, but otherwise just grey skies and green grass. Still looks to be a decent covering on the Clent Hills, but I don't have the time to take a trip today. Otherwise, this cold spell is becoming more frustrating with every passing day.

I guess it's called "living in the West Midlands", which without much altitude must be among the worst places in the country for proper snow. (Okay, the Isles of Scilly, but you don't expect much at that location!)

Mid winter, arctic air mass, and this is this best we can do.   Really have seen better snow events in April.

Never mind that, I've seen a better snow event in May! (6/5/97; only lasted a couple of hours, but it settled properly for a while even at 90m asl.)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Ha ha you may know him. He is due to retire soon.

I doubt I would. They kept me firmly locked away in the office. Unless he was one of those locked in there with me :D

As for the weather. It's a cold, damp morning here. I am just glad I managed to get up into the peak district yesterday. I don't like cold uneventful weather, but this week at least has the interest of possible snowy troughs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Just for the record, this photo was taken a (very) short walk from home around 2am, just before it turned to sleet then rain. Doesn't look much, but it's as deep as it got -- and these are the only proper footprints I've been able to leave all winter!

Overnight_snow_Bewdley.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

Snow chances again tonite. Certainly wont be getting my hopes up tho

• Like 1

Posted

Cold rain, sleet, snow, then back to rain - a proper grim morning. This cold spell turning into a none event, which is a real shame as it had much promise!

I agree its neither here nor there, very frustrating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Sleety rain with occasional bursts of snow

Temp 1.3c

Dewpoint 0.0c

Wind from west 2.6mph

Posted

I was under the (probably misguided) impression that the cold spell "proper" wasn't starting until tonight,as a front sweeps south and turns the wind northerly, straight from the pole, as opposed to the wnw currently.

I cant complain tho, done ok so far, even had a couple of inches from the polar.low,and has been snowing this morning although its now a bit drizzly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I was under the (probably misguided) impression that the cold spell "proper" wasn't starting until tonight,as a front sweeps south and turns the wind northerly, straight from the pole, as opposed to the wnw currently.

I cant complain tho, done ok so far, even had a couple of inches from the polar.low,and has been snowing this morning although its now a bit drizzly.

Not misguided, as far as I am aware it is later today and tonight before we get the proper cold. We then need precipitation though to get snow and this will sometimes not become evident until a few hours beforehand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Now 100% snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I am hoping for a bit more now in kettering I come on here and east anglia forum as we can be classed as that area also.heavy snow in low lying peterborugh.

Posted

Shock horror, the dusting of snow we got completely gone this morning as the usual rains came blasting through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

There was a decent covering yesterday morning but its all gone now.i would imagine Braunstone park is just wet and muddy.

You from Braunstone then? That's my old stomping ground! Know where Ravenhurst Road is?

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

On the face of it, according to current forecasts, we're looking at mostly dry weather once the colder air arrives.

However, we have entered a few cold spells in the past that look mainly dry only for them to whip up something special within 24/48 hours.

I would say take the next 5-7 days one day at a time.

Posted

Shock horror, the dusting of snow we got completely gone this morning as the usual rains came blasting through.

Yeah woke up about 6am and was hammering down with rain 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Bit of light snow forecast for tonight, potential marginality issues again though, after that looks colder but bone dry with the mid Atlantic high toppling over the country.

Posted

Have to say that right now I'm fairly underwhelmed about prospects over the next week. Doesn't mean I'll stay underwhelmed though if things change.

Oddly enough, my favourite part of the winter so far hasn't been the past week. Yes it's been fun but the switches to rain have made it quite annoying. My favourite part was the cold and frosty weather that settled in between Boxing Day and New Year. I thought that was just stunning. I wouldn't mind at all if the high can get far enough over us to bring us weather like that again later this week.

Edited by Gord

Posted

Nothing here at 93asl, but surrounding hills are once again white. Soooooo marginal - the story of winter so far in this area.

Posted

I was just speaking to someone from buxton and he was surprised how little snow there was here,he said there was around 10inches up in the hills by him.

Posted

Not misguided, as far as I am aware it is later today and tonight before we get the proper cold. We then need precipitation though to get snow and this will sometimes not become evident until a few hours beforehand.

yes,was just pointing out, that the current bemoaning of the cold is a bit premature as it isnt really going to get going till tonight/tomorrow, and as the "polar low" showed,little features can and probably will pop up in the flow.

• Like 1

Posted

Have to say that right now I'm fairly underwhelmed about prospects over the next week. Doesn't mean I'll stay underwhelmed though if things change.

Oddly enough, my favourite part of the winter so far hasn't been the past week. Yes it's been fun but the switches to rain have made it quite annoying. My favourite part was the cold and frosty weather that settled in between Boxing Day and New Year. I thought that was just stunning. I wouldn't mind at all if the high can get far enough over us to bring us weather like that again later this week.

I don't think you're alone. In some ways this is the most annoying weather of all: it flashes out a leg of temptation only cruelly to withdraw. It can be just cold and b l o o dy miserable when it's like this. If we're not going to get proper snow then I'm with you: let's have cold crisp days instead.

• Like 1