Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Small line of showers working in through Cheshire Gap, rain, hail, sleet and wet snow for some

Posted

A possible north easterly been mooted in model thread, i know easterlies are rubbish for us but not sure about north easterlies....anyone with more knowledge than i  know if there any use for us.......ta

For my location, easterlies are better than northeasterlies. However, anything that lengthens the cold spell is good for me even if it is dry.

Posted

For my location, easterlies are better than northeasterlies. However, anything that lengthens the cold spell is good for me even if it is dry.

Yes ditto, winter should mean winter, hate mild at the wrong time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Yes ditto, winter should mean winter, hate mild at the wrong time!

agreed shud be cold in winter doesnt matter about snow although i do like it. When inwas a kid there used to be icycles the size of spades hanging off bridges and window ledges we used to eat them on way to school

The 1992 epic snowfall we had a foot of snow easilly and webhad cats than would burrow through it lol

Posted

That's a strong northerly for Saturday night, conditions look good for anything that falls to be snow. Their could be some snow showers making thier way through the region, still hopeful.

post-23289-0-31774600-1422637648_thumb.p

post-23289-0-06443300-1422637662_thumb.p

post-23289-0-04666300-1422637668_thumb.j

post-23289-0-13939600-1422637692_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Still cant believe how it didn't snow last night given the temp was about 0.5c and under heavy ppn, missed out big time again, the south of the region excluding wirral isn't really that bad for snow is it? i mean places with similar height and distance inland get more than me every year. I've probably seen the least snow in the NW this winter which considering Wirral is in it is very shocking, I think actually think a Beasterley is the best for me, most of the showers struggle to get over the pennines and lake district but when i get them at least its actually snow a bit and settles.

Posted

Wow, last checked this thread at 17:30 last night on page 96, think I can tell the theme of the following 54 pages. Impressive.

I have say I really do know how those in the west of our region feel, after working in the Ellesmere Port area last night. Such a stark contrast driving back along the M56 where we suddenly found the motorways white approaching the M6 junction.

Took me just under an hour to get home from Wilmslow after I realised how bad my car is in snow... Was certainly glad to see my bed at 04:30 after having to walk the final bit as the side roads were awful.

Posted

Will,

thats really nice, where is that - is it suitable for dogs ?

Edit - Realise where it is now, wanted to do that a few weeks ago - is it full of snow ?

If so, i'll do that circular walk tomorrow.

After todays melting sludgefest might not be, but if models are to be believd might be whitened over again tonight! Tis lovely!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Ironically, the 12z GFS has a heavy band of precipitation over us tomorrow morning (when the uppers will be above -5c) and a light fragmented band for tomorrow night when the colder uppers will be moving in.

O900 tomorrow uppers are -5c and DP are negative.

And trending colder as the day goes on

C.S

Posted

A possible north easterly been mooted in model thread, i know easterlies are rubbish for us but not sure about north easterlies....anyone with more knowledge than i  know if there any use for us.......ta

I remember a North Easterly in the late 80's battering the East of the Pennines, it was one of those frustrating episodes. if I remember correct it was a Sunday and some beefy clouds came drifting over, 3 hours later we had about 4 inches of snow.

No radar then to take a look at, but it must have been some sort of streamer coming over the Pennines.

Posted

Everybody on the model output thread is on the look out for an easterly, but for us the return to cold tomorrow is more interesting. We need to wait for the FAX charts later but the GFS kinks just show snow for Scotland, petering out as it moves south on Monday.

Screen_Shot_2015_01_30_at_17_26_12.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Easterlies are a lot better than NE'lys, even in a strong NE flow the showers very very rarely even make it to the cumbrian fells let alone me, same for futher south too, i dont think ive ever had snow from a NE but in a strong E if the showers are big and heavy enough we sometimes manage a couple as do places further south.

Posted

For those in East Cheshire, the council have allowed people to view the realtime tracking of the gritters, so if you're wondering where they are check on here http://www.cheshireeasthighways.org/Roadworks-Centre/Gritting/Large-gritter-tracking-map.aspx

Posted

I remember a North Easterly in the late 80's battering the East of the Pennines, it was one of those frustrating episodes. if I remember correct it was a Sunday and some beefy clouds came drifting over, 3 hours later we had about 4 inches of snow.

No radar then to take a look at, but it must have been some sort of streamer coming over the Pennines.

We really struggle with easterlies, infact it doesn't bloody matter what direction the wind is here it's stil sh%$te lol. The last belter I remeber well was Feb 1991.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

We really struggle with easterlies, infact it doesn't bloody matter what direction the wind is here it's stil sh%$te lol. The last belter I remeber well was Feb 1991.

Here to lol. Cant believe the lack of snow we have had. Hailstoning again !!!

Edited by Miamay

Posted

Hail/sleet here now

We must be the capital of hail though because that's all we bloody get haha!

Posted

For those in East Cheshire, the council have allowed people to view the realtime tracking of the gritters, so if you're wondering where they are check on here http://www.cheshireeasthighways.org/Roadworks-Centre/Gritting/Large-gritter-tracking-map.aspx

that's pretty cool!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Hail/sleet here now

We must be the capital of hail though because that's all we bloody get haha!

Ha ha. We have just had a massive hailstone shower - everywhere is white !!

Posted

I would love to see a really deep cold easterly develop, then get some moisture from the south west and watch the snow, but that's just me 

i never read the papers these days, i mean come on its barely even cold when it hits 6/7C, god forbid if day time temperatures where -5/-10C by day like they where a few years ago.

One of the things i hate about this country and its retarded 'no news' story invented cold winters. thats entertainment folks, with little to no substance :p

Monday was originally looking very cold a couple of days ago on the GFS

Posted

we have had no hail, no snow just a few light rain showers, just far to mild this afternoon

are you in north of the city or south?

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

I would love to see a really deep cold easterly develop, then get some moisture from the south west and watch the snow, but that's just me 

i never read the papers these days, i mean come on its barely even cold when it hits 6/7C, god forbid if day time temperatures where -5/-10C by day like they where a few years ago.

One of the things i hate about this country and its retarded 'no news' story invented cold winters. thats entertainment folks, with little to no substance :p

Monday was originally looking very cold a couple of days ago on the GFS

Like this. About a month after I was born, perhaps that's why I'm obsessed with cold and snow! :D