Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted

Nothing has ever made me want to punch my laptop screen through more than watching the radar THAT night. Oh and then it repeated about 2 weeks later and then again the next winter.

LOL!!! I remember that night too. My friend lived with me in Nantwich but worked in Manchester, her school was shut for a week.

CC Fancy a beer one night? I need some more weather friends to vent my frustrations out at :p

Not as due as here! I've never even seen more than 10cm accumulated...ever.

Here Here!!!!

Heres the live coverage of Winter storm Juno hitting NY:

http://www.weather.com/tv/the-weather-channel-live/video/watch-the-weather-channel-live?pl=pl-winter-storm-juno

At least you don't have to wait until Wed to watch snow falling. :)

I love watching these.  I remember watching a snow storm last year too, or was it earlier this season? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Yes although the composition of the flake and / or the ratio of rain drops to snow flakes can make all the difference when you already have a covering wrt preserving it, specifically when the band is nearly exhausted and clear skies and a frosty night is forthcoming.

Although my last post was in jest just a word of warning, I doubt this is going to be an all snow event here in the Pennines at 600ft, so people on the coast need to be realistic with expectations.

I think you are very wrong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Could be even worse yet, you might get rain!

Lol. We probably will. Not getting my hopes up too much at the moment

Posted

Here in the Peak District the last of the snow has melted in my garden, My 12 y old daughter is praying for more . {time off school for sledging} . We look like we are getting another dollop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I think you are very wrong

Here is the Met office Map forecast.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map/gcw2hzs1u#?zoom=9&map=SignificantWeather&lon=-2.25&lat=53.48&fcTime=1422392400

It has been changing every run, upgrading one run then downgrading next, now im not saying its right but there must be some doubt wrt marginality, FWiW I think you will get some rather spectacular heavy snow showers and most people will, There will be some significant accumulations in some parts of the region but there may be some sleety stuff as well as the mild sector shows its hand, don't forget though the cold is likely to stay a week now so further chances and less marginal at the weekend I would suggest, although probably less in the way of PPN then, some disturbances in the flow could bring some organised bands of heavy snow further into the cold spell but that's all conjecture and to far out to speculate on at this stage.

Posted

AYY EVERYBODY STOP SAYING STOCKPORT IS GUNNA GET BURIED WITH SNOW!

you'll jinx it for me. Haha

I live in hyde, but used to live and still work round the corner in stockport.

And to be fair stockport hasn't had more than 1cm of snow since 2012.

But hopefully WE WILL ALL GET IT.

Posted

Not even Jan / Feb or March 2013?

Posted

Not even Jan / Feb or March 2013?

nope we got nothing then. Just a bit of snow that didn't settle and I'm just next to Stockport

Posted

Its just good to see the regionals alive again this winter, last winter they were dead in the water...

Wednesday will be a very lively day with a marked change in temperatures once the front drops through.  It will be a case of nowcasting again, much like early last week, but the difference with the projected upcoming cold spell and the last one, is the likelihood any showers over the region will be much much heavier so we should see greater evaporative cooling, you need intense precipitation in marginal set ups to deliver snow, lighter precipitation is more likely to produce sleet. Last Tuesday was a good case in point, we only managed a few light flurries/showers all day which never settled, but then a more organised band of precipitation moved through late in the evening, the precipitation became moderate and evaporative took effect with temps falling by 1.5 degrees to below zero, the snow then quickly settled.

Looking forward to another instalment of snow radar watching.

Posted

nope we got nothing then. Just a bit of snow that didn't settle and I'm just next to Stockport

Blimey!, I thought that because there are higher parts on the East, that they might have had a slightly watered down version of what the Peak district got, I had a pretty decent winter that year, a ridiculous number of falling snow days, a good few significant Accumulations culminating in an almighty blizzard in late March.

Posted

Its just good to see the regionals alive again this winter, last winter they were dead in the water...

Wednesday will be a very lively day with a marked change in temperatures once the front drops through.  It will be a case of nowcasting again, much like early last week, but the difference with the projected upcoming cold spell and the last one, is the likelihood any showers over the region will be much much heavier so we should see greater evaporative cooling, you need intense precipitation in marginal set ups to deliver snow, lighter precipitation is more likely to produce sleet. Last Tuesday was a good case in point, we only managed a few light flurries/showers all day which never settled, but then a more organised band of precipitation moved through late in the evening, the precipitation became moderate and evaporative took effect with temps falling by 1.5 degrees to below zero, the snow then quickly settled.

Looking forward to another instalment of snow radar watching.

Not sure evaporative cooling will come into play as there will be too much wind but point taken that the PPN intensity will work in our favour, there will definitely be blizzard conditions somewhere in our region at some point and these are the kind of synoptics that if the heavy snow showers organise the streams over one particular area at the right time of day, there could be chaos on the roads and the warning could become amber.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

I would like to think hail/sleet/snow showers will get this far south at times. I remember a few years back I think it was 2010 snow showers from a west to north westerly made it here on the Wirral. And yes it was even colder then so snow settled very easy. But I am just making the point that I think some showers will make it here.

2015-1-28.pdf

Posted

Not sure evaporative cooling will come into play as there will be too much wind but point taken that the PPN intensity will work in our favour, there will definitely be blizzard conditions somewhere in our region at some point and these are the kind of synoptics that if the heavy snow showers organise the streams over one particular area at the right time of day, there could be chaos on the roads and the warning could become amber.

The synoptical set up shares similiarities with early March 1995, albeit a bit colder. Then we saw numerous heavy snow showers brought on by trough features,more organised bouts often in the evening and morning delivering 3-4 inches, with temporary thawing in the sunshine during the day only for everything to freeze at night. However, unlike early March the sun is much weaker in late Jan. March 1995 saw very strong winds as well.

Posted

The synoptical set up shares similiarities with early March 1995, albeit a bit colder. Then we saw numerous heavy snow showers brought on by trough features,more organised bouts often in the evening and morning delivering 3-4 inches, with temporary thawing in the sunshine during the day only for everything to freeze at night. However, unlike early March the sun is much weaker in late Jan. March 1995 saw very strong winds as well.

Yes, I remember about 5 inches down in the midlands on the first Thursday night in March but there were wintry showers right up until the last third of March in that spell, that was a shocking winter in general for me but at least I got something decent - better late than never.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

this is the best setup though, just thurs mind, I expect a thaw Friday, yeah they even missed out on boxing day

Posted

Hello everyone, I was just wondering, will there be rain preceding any snow on Wednesday? If so will the ground not be too wet for snow to settle, or is that where the precipitation intensity may come into play?

Very much a novice when looking at weather models!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Yeah, we didn't get anything 2013, few light flakes and that was it.

Posted

Heres the live coverage of Winter storm Juno hitting NY:

http://www.weather.com/tv/the-weather-channel-live/video/watch-the-weather-channel-live?pl=pl-winter-storm-juno

At least you don't have to wait until Wed to watch snow falling. :)

Really interesting watching this storm develop in the US, New York already getting hammered now! 1 to 2 or even 3ft in places and here's us desperately after 1cm plus lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Right then where are we all up to. I think there is more chance of snow this time than last week but I'd still like to be up a hill. Rain turning to sleet then in the early hours maybe a wet covering of snow is my guess. Coastal areas won't get anything as usual. Some places inland (chorley) that are just about far enough away from the coast but don't really have any height may get wet snow and the usual suspects to the East will get a good covering. Any how looks like there may be more opportunities after the weekend when it gets even colder. A trip up winter hill on Sunday it is then just can't seem to find a sledge for 2 people. The 4 year old has a crapy one from asda but I want to go on with her they just don't seem to make them, anyone would think sledging is for kids!

Anyone fancy giving me an update on current models, just got in after a very long shift and can't be bothered reading through the models thread

Looking good for 7 days. Fergie seems to think back to Westerlies next week however there is a little interest in the spell lasting a bit longer.

Posted

The best window for snow looks to be from about 1pm wed through to about 11am thurs before less cold air moves in. Colder weather begins to make a return through Saturday with no doubt more snow chances but too far out to even bother thinking about. Places much further inland and with elevation obviously will fair far better.

post-23289-0-73834000-1422310804_thumb.p

post-23289-0-49258600-1422310815_thumb.p

post-23289-0-71156200-1422310823_thumb.p

post-23289-0-17114100-1422311016_thumb.p

post-23289-0-16789800-1422311054_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Wouldnt mind a bit of what NY are having now. Some nice pics on Earthcam