Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/03/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A couple of strikes in NW Wales but other than that the UK Mainland is totally devoid of sferics. Some squally showers around though which gives the impression of the showers being more intense than they are when underneath them. Tomorrow possibly a little more showery than today with a marginally higher risk of thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Thanks! Knew about lightningmaps but not the other one :)

Any reason the 24hr strike count is going down? lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Thanks! Knew about lightningmaps but not the other one :)

Any reason the 24hr strike count is going down? lol

Well, the 24hrs is taken from a different point as time ticks by ie; 24hrs from the current local time, rounded up to the nearest hour, so there may have been less strikes, say.. 1hr in to that 24hrs (23hrs ago) so the count will go down.

I can explain it in my head! haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Where can you see this? :D

If you go to the blitzortung website and then go to the Europe page, it shows the number of strikes in the top right hand corner.

I think it only counts the number of strikes in the past 120 minutes, which currently stands at just shy of 50,000

Even if half of those were erroneous, thats still 25,000 strikes in 2 hours...not bad going!

Posted

Hi

Here is a brief video of a close lightning strike when I was in Whipsnade, Bedfordshire two days ago on the 3rd May around 2.45pm when a line of heavy showers moved in. This was about the first thunder I've heard all year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q1JQa7j-2Y

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Had 2 storms pass over on Sunday evening which is a good start to the season. The second one was the best as it passed around a mile to my North so missed the intense precip so had a great view of the storm as it passed by. It was mainly sheet lightning, but managed to catch a few stills from the vids I took. Thunder was constant for a time with lightning every 10-20 seconds.

11128286_10155580549850245_322447657_n.j

11128295_10155580549290245_1720845931_n.

11125240_10155580549195245_1654562631_n.

11216166_10155580548995245_811605836_n.j

11128377_10155580548670245_964912228_n.j

11216358_10155580548000245_1559825960_n.

Looks like some interest into next week aswell :)

ecmt850.168.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I'm all for interest in the forecasts, as long as at some point it becomes actual!

Luckily last night I hedged my bets it wasn't gonna pay off and I slept through - but hopefully some of the up-and-coming storm opportunities will deliver in the next couple of weeks... :-P

Good pics by the way - looks like you had a great vantage point

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Tornado in Rostock, Germany

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Lots of pics of the german supercells and tornados over on https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: calm and cold (im brontophobic)

I hear thunder....no strikes showing up on radar or lightning map....

Upon further investigation at a more sensible time of the morning, it was the wind coming through the vent in my bedroom. Forgive me I haven't loved in my house very long haha

Edited by ThunderBuddy21

Posted

Storm has just kicked off in the SE, just north of Brighton?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms of any kind, Snow

Yes there was a brief squally shower with one nice rumble of thunder but no lightning seen, despite blitz showing 4 strikes 5km from my location...

Edited by Noahjoe

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Just driven through that, torrential rain, hail and at least 4 lashes of lightning - one right in front of the car - don't know whether it will be picked by by the dash cam or not so will check later.

I hear thunder....no strikes showing up on radar or lightning map....

Upon further investigation at a more sensible time of the morning, it was the wind coming through the vent in my bedroom. Forgive me I haven't loved in my house very long haha

TMI LOL!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Despite the promising start across Sussex this morning as above, the shortwave that brought steep lapse rates and forcing for those storms is on the way out, though could be a few more rumbles from the showers in the SE for the rest of the morning before that organised band of rain in the west moves through. Otherwise lightning will be very isolated from rain band moving in from the west and showers that follow because of poor lapse rates. Storm forecast for today:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=9f43849247ce404d39fd40e19ddacfcf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: calm and cold (im brontophobic)

Just driven through that, torrential rain, hail and at least 4 lashes of lightning - one right in front of the car - don't know whether it will be picked by by the dash cam or not so will check later.

TMI LOL!

Oh god! Bloody auto correct! U know what I Mean... hopefully lol

Edited by ThunderBuddy21

Posted

Hi@all

Re: Tornado near Rostock: 30 people injured, and also 1 person killed in a seperate incident near Hamburg. The town hit by the Tornado is called Bützow and there is some amazing footage taken by a R/C model Helicopter here:

http://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/mecklenburg-vorpommern/Aufraeumen-nach-dem-Tornado-in-Buetzow,unwetter1260.html

Place looks like the allied bombers paid a visit last night and dropped a couple of Blockbusters, looks just like 70 years ago :shok:

In this news article there is mention of three houses being uninhabitable, that the local hospital and an old age home also sustained substantial damage and that the entire historic town centre being cordoned off. The tornado apparently was an F3, and luckily the more densely populated Rostock was spared. Poor people..

I am quite surprised that there was so much violent weather close to the triple point of the front (cold front-warm front-occlusion), was actually speculating on some additional good action in southern Germany as foehn induced clear skies with temps close to 20 deg. Celsius at 850 hPa were forecast ahead of the CF. Unfortunately it was overcast all day, only one large cell formed near Zurich and made it all the way to Munich. I am currently working in southern Germany but didnt bother go chasing yesterday.. Here a link to a piccie of the storm near Zurich for those who may be interested:

http://www.sturmforum.ch/forum_uploads/incoming/20150505_182739_Cedric_frei.png

Will keep you informed if any additional news or insights to the Rostock tornado surface.

Regards

Ralph

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

May always seems to be a major month for t-storms in Germany - those in Munich in 2013 were especially noteworthy for the insurance bills - weren't they?. I'm heading to Nuremberg the week after next for a week, and we had some good storms last year, so who knows...