Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/03/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Was in the centre of Norwich 15 minutes ago, the skies were darker. Needed to travel to the Northwest side and on the way I thought a water mains had broken. From dry to soaked within metres lol it had already moved away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Ah some sefrics been given off by this line coming into the London area,

and oh look, a nice gap just for Egham!

I'm afraid, that's just the way it goes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Ah some sefrics been given off by this line coming into the London area,

and oh look, a nice gap just for Egham!

Ah yes I remember that frustration well. As if the weather in the southeast wasn't boring enough already, Egham always seemed to pull the short straw when it came to storms.

Posted

I had a feeling looking at the charts this morning the potential would take a leap across the sea in an easterly direction. Estofex didn't forecast anything today.

Speaking of this morning we did get some reasonable mammatis on the back end of a shower that passed through.

post-7331-0-18808700-1430926993_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-16552800-1430927277_thumb.jp

post-7331-0-21802100-1430927349_thumb.jp

post-7331-0-34430300-1430927385_thumb.jp

Edited by Greenday
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Can't help but dread thinking I will miss a real decent event. I'll be stuck in wales next week when the likes of Lincolnshire right next to me will get a dosage of supercells! Wouldn't it just be typical!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Some heavy showers overhead in Derby currently.

Keeping an eye on next Tuesday, and keeping fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Can't help but dread thinking I will miss a real decent event. I'll be stuck in wales next week when the likes of Lincolnshire right next to me will get a dosage of supercells! Wouldn't it just be typical!!

you wont miss the the kent clipper  :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

please hold off on the rain.. roof leak getting worse :/ they cancelled yesterday due to rain, today and by the looks of it tomorrow will be cancelled as well due to rain =_= the kitchen is becoming a mess... really dont need any more storms to make it worse :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

A few heavy cells coming in from the West this afternoon...A few sferics earlier to my NE & SE around Tamworth and Cov

Looks like there are some hail shafts in the passing cells

worth keeping an eye on

Posted

Ah yes I remember that frustration well. As if the weather in the southeast wasn't boring enough already, Egham always seemed to pull the short straw when it came to storms.

Haha yep, although we had a couple surprise thunder events this winter. The ones today lost their electrical activity quite quickly so it wasn't so bad but most of the heavier showers and downpours still missed here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Currently on holiday in Little Snoring in Norfolk and just heard distant thunder.Very threatening skies all around here at the moment.Looks like my friends back home in Derby are seeing some action too!!

Posted

Currently on holiday in Little Snoring in Norfolk and just heard distant thunder.Very threatening skies all around here at the moment.Looks like my friends back home in Derby are seeing some action too!!

Yes mate some torrential downpours today and one distant rumble heard just before 2ish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Apparently a polling station in Nottinghamshire has got struck by lightning! This courtesy of the BBC:

A polling station in Nottinghamshire has apparently been struck by lightning. The polling station - at Strelley in the Broxtowe constituency - has lost its electricity, according to returning officer Ruth Hyde.

Posted

Apparently a polling station in Nottinghamshire has got struck by lightning! This courtesy of the BBC:

A polling station in Nottinghamshire has apparently been struck by lightning. The polling station - at Strelley in the Broxtowe constituency - has lost its electricity, according to returning officer Ruth Hyde.

Yet if you read the summary on BBC News there is no mention of rain in this area!

The weather has been dry and mild across much of the UK, with isolated showers in some parts of the north of England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

There's definately an increasing sign of a possible Spanish plume development on Tuesday. We have an area of low pressure in the Atlantic pumping up warm air and moisture from Southern Europe.

post-21671-0-82364600-1431015970_thumb.p

Because of this, the CAPE rises and the air becomes increasingly unstable. The warm 850s also cause the lapse rates to rise, which is the perfect recipe for thunderstorms.

post-21671-0-94655300-1431016064_thumb.p post-21671-0-43805900-1431016065_thumb.p post-21671-0-78468700-1431016065_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Haha yep, although we had a couple surprise thunder events this winter. The ones today lost their electrical activity quite quickly so it wasn't so bad but most of the heavier showers and downpours still missed here.

Best example was May 22nd last year. Big batch of shower and storms rattled northwards across the country - my home location recorded a thunderstorm, Heathrow recorded thunder and apparently Thorpe Park got hammered. Not even a fart in Egham haha.

At least you'll be in a sweet spot for some proper warmth come early next week.

Posted

There's definately an increasing sign of a possible Spanish plume development on Tuesday. We have an area of low pressure in the Atlantic pumping up warm air and moisture from Southern Europe.

attachicon.gif850Temps.png

Because of this, the CAPE rises and the air becomes increasingly unstable. The warm 850s also cause the lapse rates to rise, which is the perfect recipe for thunderstorms.

attachicon.gifCAPE.png attachicon.gifLapse.png attachicon.gifRisk.png

Dare I say it the central lowlands looks to be in the firing line. Interesting..........................

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Wouldn't surprise me to see a bit of electrical activity from that rain moving up, from the south, through tomorrow. Slight instability and clearly a lot of moisture there, too.

Edited by Convective

Posted

There could be something interesting brewing for the late afternoon and evening hours I feel. GFS are showing an area of slight CAPE but strong DLS and some helicity through Wales, N Midlands and N England late afternoon and more especially this evening. This would point to the "potential" of thunderstorms developing across Wales and NW England, pushing NE into the N Midlands and N England then eventually Lincolnshire and East Yorkshire. If a thunderstorm can develop then it could become well organised and could bring the risk of a tornado.

A lot of ifs and buts but one to watch.

Edited by Supacell

Posted

There could be something interesting brewing for the late afternoon and evening hours I feel. GFS are showing an area of slight CAPE but strong DLS and some helicity through Wales, N Midlands and N England late afternoon and more especially this evening. This would point to the "potential" of thunderstorms developing across Wales and NW England, pushing NE into the N Midlands and N England then eventually Lincolnshire and East Yorkshire. If a thunderstorm can develop then it could become well organised and could bring the risk of a tornado.

A lot of ifs and buts but one to watch.

http://www.estofex.org/

Estofex is agreeing with you and has issued a level 1 for the chance of isolated tornado events in a small corridor. Nicely spotted.

post-7331-0-92094600-1431063967_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

According to a couple of people I've spoken to this morning, there was a small thunderstorm overnight. It's clear from the radar that something developed south of here around 2am although it doesn't look that active from precipitation rates... No sferics in the archives but there was quite a bit of thunder apparently.

Typical that it began to develop around 1:45am, just after I last checked the radar, before going to sleep, at 1:30am....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

What us going on in N Wales and the E side of Ireland, do we have a radar blip or is there a storm??

Posted

What us going on in N Wales and the E side of Ireland, do we have a radar blip or is there a storm??

It's anaprop (anomalous precipitation), so not true :)