Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/06/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

The ipod pulled this one on me last week.

Let's hope that this time it's right!

Seeing is believing as they say

post-14846-0-59029800-1433890237_thumb.j

Edited by tomp456

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

That'll do perfectly for Friday evening.  :spiteful: 

(though perhaps I should be careful what I wish for (lol), as a storm like that could be quite dangerous).

Yes! This storm was nuts of the highest proportion. The rate that it was striking at was incredible shown on lightning maps, it was struggling to keep up!

Also on sat 24 it exploded like an atomic bomb and it's upper outflows actually reached the shores of East Anglia would you believe! Unfortunately, this storm took 6 peoples lives, so although it has ranked in the epic storms of all storms category, we need to spare a thought for the devastation that they can also bring.

Stunning satellite image of the Armageddon storm!

post-17277-0-99329400-1433890631_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Yes! This storm was nuts of the highest proportion. The rate that it was striking at was incredible shown on lightning maps, it was struggling to keep up!

Also on sat 24 it exploded like an atomic bomb and it's upper outflows actually reached the shores of East Anglia would you believe! Unfortunately, this storm took 6 peoples lives, so although it has ranked in the epic storms of all storms category, we need to spare a thought for the devastation that they can also bring.

Wow, even a clearly defined overshooting top on that one - a sure sign that it is a severe thunderstorm... which it was.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Agreed. As nice as these severe storms are to watch and/or experience with their dramatic lightning displays, loud rumbles, heavy precipitation, gust/wind fronts etc, they do have their downsides.

It's amazing though how far that storm stretched, really.

Posted

(though perhaps I should be careful what I wish for (lol), as a storm like that could be quite dangerous).

Enjoyed it, but can never understand why you can hear birds singing at the start, hear the wind & rain, but no thunder?

Posted

Enjoyed it, but can never understand why you can hear birds singing at the start, hear the wind & rain, but no thunder?

That is a bit odd. Maybe the thunder wasn't quite loud enough at the start for the camera's microphone (or what ever audio recording equipment was used) to pick out properly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Just go outside with your family and sit in your car. As long as you're insured and very strong winds aren't an issue, you'll be fine.

More seriously though, why think too much before a further 36/48 hours?

I was in a sweet spot last Friday for England, but didn't expect it and it was a nice surprise. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

That'll do perfectly for Friday evening. :spiteful:

This certainly was an awesome storm. I once had a storm here that had that kind of lightning frequency to it but most of the time the lightning was visible rather than just looking like flashes. That was the most electrically active storm I had ever seen, one every 2 seconds. Lots of cloud to cloud and some CG's and interesting shapes. Didn't get any video of it which is a big shame however would love it if someone knew when it was and remembers it, a few years back it was. Before I drove back to Norwich from the North Norfolk coast and finally knew of the storm, in clear blue sky I felt sure I saw a bolt of lightning out of nowhere. Once I did see the storm in the distance on the way back I figured it could indeed have been a bolt. I watched from a distance for a short time before deciding to continue back, it then became apparent how intense with lightning it was. That was an incedible storm I could not believe what I was seeing. Edited by Greenday
  • Like 1

Posted

More seriously though, why think too much before a further 36/48 hours?

I was in a sweet spot last Friday for England, but didn't expect it and it was a nice surprise. :)

Some of the best weather events, like storms, do seem to happen sometimes when it's unexpected. :)

Perhaps the same thing could happen for Thursday's/Friday's possible thundery weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

That CAPE though....  :shok: 

nmmuk-6-71-0.png?10-01

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

A lot more to look at but deary me, its been a long time coming.....!

viewimage_zpsix1ghunh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

So it looks like we could be in for the double this weekend? Thursday night will hopefully deliver so at least if I get too busy on Friday I'll have seen at least one storm... :-)

Reckon 3 memory cards is enough?

:-P

The forecast just keeps getting better!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Thought you'd like to know that just as I'm getting ready to set off for work in Poitiers, the rumbles and flashes have started over the hills.

EDIT: Massive CG strike on hill just nearby - I will stay calm and drive within my capabilities...

EDIT: Almost constant thunder, incredible lightning all around every few seconds. Need to go, will try and get back on later when I get to Poitiers (if I get to Poitiers - hmm).

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Not looking as promising on the 0z run to me

Looking more widespread to me. My area was never in the firing line and still not, but a lot more areas look like sharing in this 'plume' event

Edited by NL
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Not looking as promising on the 0z run to me

For what reason please? Assuming youre talking about the GFS, it looks slightly better for more areas?

• Like 1

Posted

gfs is pretty much the same as the 18z last night!!amazing upgrades over the last 24 hours!!!its all about radar watching from tomorrow evening!!

Posted

Thought you'd like to know that just as I'm getting ready to set off for work in Poitiers, the rumbles and flashes have started over the hills.

EDIT: Massive CG strike on hill just nearby - I will stay calm and drive within my capabilities...

EDIT: Almost constant thunder, incredible lightning all around every few seconds. Need to go, will try and get back on later when I get to Poitiers (if I get to Poitiers - hmm).

You are in the right place for storms there. Regularly stay near Ruffec just south of Poitiers and usually get some stonking storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The models have tended to shunt everything a little further north this morning, reflected in the FAX charts and that the GFS is stalling the resulting front over the England/Scotland border by Saturday. The GFS showing temperatures into the mid to high 20s on Friday over Central/Southern England. NMM showing a maximum of 29C in London. Rainfall looks quite scattered so there is little point taking every run as gospel to be honest. The risk is still there of a substantial thundery outbreak, especially across England and Wales.

• Like 4

Posted

Good morning all, no mention of anything remotly thundery on our look north weather forecast this morning, although temps of 21c and cloudy on friday so it might feel a bit muggy,but reading peoples views on here does give me some hope of the storm potential, but if i could be rude and ask for any storms saturday night to arrive after 10.30 pm, daughter is dancing with Diversity at Lincoln Castle between 8 and 10 pm, lol. loving to positive vibes and views on here, keep it up Guys.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Well, latest runs still keeping with last night's positioning of instability and precipitation amounts. It looks like Devon could be in the firing line on Thursday evening as heavy showers and thunderstorms move up for the channel. Then, I think the general risk moves again further east during the night but still the possibility of some heavy and thundery rain on Friday morning again. It's something to watch and luckily this time, none of the charts have downgraded and moved the risk east.

Here we go! It's time to start nowcasting! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Good morning all, no mention of anything remotly thundery on our look north weather forecast this morning, although temps of 21c and cloudy on friday so it might feel a bit muggy,but reading peoples views on here does give me some hope of the storm potential, but if i could be rude and ask for any storms saturday night to arrive after 10.30 pm, daughter is dancing with Diversity at Lincoln Castle between 8 and 10 pm, lol. loving to positive vibes and views on here, keep it up Guys.

I think all the thundery stuff will be gone by Saturday night. It is Thursday night to Saturday morning the period where thunderstorms could occur.

Posted

I think all the thundery stuff will be gone by Saturday night. It is Thursday night to Saturday morning the period where thunderstorms could occur.

thank you, i hope so, daughter loves storms as much as i do, but having the chance to dance with Diversity is to big to be cancelled by a thunder storm, lol