Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st June 2015 12z--------->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Rob, here are the Naefs 00z anomolys (days 8 and 14) which is where today's CPC chart will come from

There will definitely be a high anomoly across the UK but it won't be very strong. My point is that run by run, the upper ridge is becoming less marked as we head through week 2 and those weakish anomolys provide for some uncertainty although a positive anomoly of any kind over Europe is going to mean decent heights where they are shown.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

fair play :)

Posted

Just going to drop this in here as it is relevant to the period 5-6 days down the line as to what the weather pattern may be.

hope it makes for an interesting read, and please make comment about it.

http://www.netweather.tv/secure/cgi-bin/premium.pl?action=gfs;sess=4834d1b1a7637fd8eb7444d53e16fe81

some this up as

will the ridge be NW of the UK 6-10 days from now or over the UK or even somewhere over east/SE of us.

very interesting john, but not what i was hoping to read!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I view all runs. The 12z and 0z runs have also been somewhat leaning away from a UK high until well into FI. 

Your right. In this instance i don't think the wider pattern supports a hot spell developing. Now some have disagreed and i could be wrong but right now we have somewhat atypical patterns globally in my opinion. 

It's not due to not wanting a UK high though. 

Don't worry mate, if you don't tow the 'a hot spell is just round the corner' line you'll get called out and told you're being negative. I agree with your assessments, at no point has this month looked like it would threaten any prolonged heat and significant N blocking has been a feature of a fair proportion of the output (though it hasn't always come to fruition to the extent as modelled).

The GFS has been touting a return to a N'ly based airmass in the mid range for a couple of days now so it's foolish to just simply ignore it if you ask me.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 6

Posted

Don't worry mate, if you don't tow the 'a hot spell is just round the corner' line you'll get called out and told you're being negative. I agree with your assessments, at no point has this month looked like it would threaten any prolonged heat and significant N blocking has been a feature of a fair proportion of the output (though it hasn't always come to fruition to the extent as modelled).

The GFS has been touting a return to a N'ly based airmass in the mid range for a couple of days now so it's foolish to just simply ignore it if you ask me.

This time last week, the NAO was looking to go very negative so as you say while the possibility of northern blocking has been raised by GFS, it has so far backed away once we get into high-res. Even now, there's a lot of uncertainty:

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/new.nao_index_ensm.html

From Thursday or Friday, there's no clear signal with a lot of options (including both northern blocking and the maintenance of the Azores HP on the table). The "col" option probably the favourite with no strong signal for anything which might mean no Atlantic influence and the weather coming from the east or north.

• Like 3

Posted

Negative all depends on your perspective- it seems many would actually be quite happy for what you suggest to occur. Just as I and a select few others would be quite happy to see mild conditions during winter- and would likely be shot down instantly if we tried to suggest that a mild solution without a great deal of support would be the likely outcome.  Can you post a chart that shows any northern blocking that has actually occurred in the last couple of months?

• Like 5

Posted

Negative all depends on your perspective- it seems many would actually be quite happy for what you suggest to occur. Just as I and a select few others would be quite happy to see mild conditions during winter- and would likely be shot down instantly if we tried to suggest that a mild solution without a great deal of support would be the likely outcome.  Can you post a chart that shows any northern blocking that has actually occurred in the last couple of months?

Maybe- but then again by the same token I've personally gone against the grain in winter too and downplayed progged cold spells if I can't see them materialising. You say about me posting charts which show N blocking but where are the heatwave charts? Other than a couple of days we've been experiencing sub 5C upper air and sub 0C on a couple of occasions. When all said and done it has actually been a fairly standard June, which, if you look back at the post I made early last week is what I said looked likely i.e a battle between Azores high and Atlantic trough.

The long term? Well I think it will turn wet for a period of time but that doesn't preclude an upturn to summery conditions in July or August.

• Like 4

Posted

Fortunately theres more to summer then air temps. We have had a lot of strong sunshine and good air quality, many dry days too.

• Like 4

Posted

Fortunately theres more to summer then air temps. We have had a lot of strong sunshine and good air quality, many dry days too.

Indeed there is. It's been fairly pleasant IMO other than a nagging NWly which has made it feel rather cool at times.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I quite like the prospect of a weakish high: plenty of opportunity for LP down to our S or SSW to break through. Straw-clutch! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

t144 we have 2 differences between UKMO and GFS

GFS has a small area of low pressure just south of Iceland mostly dry in the UK, but the risk of some showers breaking out

gfs-0-144.png?12

UKMO doesn't have that low, thus high pressure is over the UK

UW144-21.GIF?14-18

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS12z is semi unsettled days 6-9 but then builds pressure quickly for a 3 fine days and thunderstorm affair. 

GEM12z is more progressive and gets ever worse.

Rgem2401.gif

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

GFS continues to show some very strong Heights push up over Greenland around the 21st, With a week Low sat over or close to the UK.

npsh500.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The GFS for next weekend onwards has been all over the place lately. The GEFS 6z mean was a bit of a let down for warmth and high pressure but there are some pretty eye catching members amongst the 12z ensembles. The control run being one of them.

gens-0-1-276.png

gens-0-0-276.png

Posted

A quick look at the last three 12z GEFS anomalies just out of interest.

Just shows slightly more influence from the Scandinavian trough and movement west of the ridge. After that it's all a bit nondescript although weakish HP remains with a suggestion of a weak ridge to the east and with temps around average, maybe slightly above by the end of the month.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-44693600-1434307071_thumb.p

post-12275-0-55493600-1434307077_thumb.p

post-12275-0-51988800-1434307085_thumb.p

post-12275-0-61398900-1434307185_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening , and I hope every one has had a good weekend. Gfs is showing changeable conditions for the north especially this week whilst pressure rises across southern  Britain , gently the gfs lowers pressure right through to T+240 later this week, I think we are on to a big pattern change , but models are really struggling with the outcome......

post-6830-0-69510600-1434307743_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-37131800-1434307784_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-20624500-1434307819_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-75640400-1434307856_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

Euro tonight has capitulated to the GFS and sporadic GEM runs, well done GFS i suppose. 

Can't call it unsettled as such but the high pressure looks like losing at day 6 and then we get the edge of a trough and more cool air for the time of year. 

Recm2402.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Yes ECMWF not to dissimilar to GFS now, With Heights pushing up into Greenland and a week Low sat around or over the UK by the 21st.

npsh500.pngnpsh500.168.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Euro tonight has capitulated to the GFS and sporadic GEM runs, well done GFS i suppose. 

Can't call it unsettled as such but the high pressure looks like losing at day 6 and then we get the edge of a trough and more cool air for the time of year. 

Recm2402.gif

Well done for something that has far from happened yet?

Deary me.

Certainly doesn't look a washout anyway these charts albeit somewhat cool at times. But at about a week away I'm not worrying about that and will be outdoors enjoying the sun and warmth this week here.

• Like 4

Posted

Well done for something that has far from happened yet?

Deary me.

S.B was pointing out that the ECMWF/Gem has picked up the blocking signals the GFS has been showing on in-trim runs over the last day or two. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Shocking ECM!

Those people still going on about what a great June this is should stop taking the tablets.

Apart from a few nice days last week I have know higher temperatures in many a recent April.

Great winter charts but for summer they are nothing short of dire.

Andy

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Shocking ECM!

Those people still going on about what a great June this is should stop taking the tablets.

Apart from a few nice days last week I have know higher temperatures in many a recent April.

Andy

Its truly dire but what is also disappointing is when the ECM 12z draws more focus than the 0z which happened to show a settled end with high pressure and warmth at 240h. As ever, the ensemble mean will give the overall picture.

• Like 1

Posted

Shocking ECM!

Andy

Please explain how they are "Shocking" for us?

• Like 2