Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st June 2015 12z--------->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Shocking ECM!

Those people still going on about what a great June this is should stop taking the tablets.

Apart from a few nice days last week I have know higher temperatures in many a recent April.

Great winter charts but for summer they are nothing short of dire.

Andy

Gfs is not that dis-similar, ecm is now like gfs as done first ,smelling the Coffee :closedeyes:  :rofl:  :aggressive:  :angry:  :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Its truly dire but what is also disappointing is when the ECM 12z draws more focus than the 0z which happened to show a settled end with high pressure and warmth at 240h. As ever, the ensemble mean will give the overall picture.

But it's one run of one model...Who knows what will actually happen?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

But it's one run of one model...Who knows what will actually happen?

Which is precisely why the means are a better place to look. At day 10 looking for specific details is pointless. Here is the gefs12z mean at day 10.

Rz500m10.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

S.B was pointing out that the ECMWF/Gem has picked up the blocking signals the GFS has been showing on in-trim runs over the last day or two. 

The point is though it is 7 days away and as such if the models change again (be it for better or worse) then you can't exactly congratulate the models for getting it wrong tonight. That's all. Conditions look pretty decent until next weekend, lets see how the models try and place higher heights  over the next few days of model output.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Not properly synoptic, this, so apologies, but did anyone watch the Countryfile forecast tonight, about 7:50 pm, BBC1?

Forecaster there, presumably basing his BBC forecast on UKMO projections (?), was wanting to place HP influence continuing closer to the UK (based West of it more than SW, but main HP centre pretty close) for the remainder of June.

Countryfile forecasts as I recall, when they include synoptic modelling, tend to avoid going beyond next Friday from the broadcast date unless they have more confidence.

For what little that's worth! </strawclutching>

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Sorry but its ordinary at worst, just because theres no blistering heatwave doesnt make it a bad run, or any run a bad fun.

Messy synoptics might not bode well, they seem to result in horrid wet regime, but as yet thats not expected.

The models show a pretty uneventful outlook, which at this time of the year isnt bad, its still suggests a lot of useable outdoor weather. Average in mid - late june is still very nice.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on..
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Not properly synoptic, this, so apologies, but did anyone watch the Countryfile forecast tonight, about 7:50 pm, BBC1?

Forecaster there, presumably basing his BBC forecast on UKMO projections (?), was wanting to place HP influence continuing closer to the UK (based West of it more than SW, but main HP centre pretty close) for the remainder of June.

Countryfile forecasts as I recall, when they include synoptic modelling, tend to avoid going beyond next Friday from the broadcast date unless they have more confidence.

For what little that's worth! </strawclutching>

You are right w of w. The noaa anomaly charts have upto yesterday suggested that, so when theres uncertainty, which there is after next week, the ops havnt got it nailed and things might well emerge for the better

Edit. I note todats 8-14 day anomaly has now dropped the hight rises over the uk BOOOO, and supports the messy synoptic charts progged by the ops.

Bugger.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The point is though it is 7 days away and as such if the models change again (be it for better or worse) then you can't exactly congratulate the models for getting it wrong tonight. That's all. Conditions look pretty decent until next weekend, lets see how the models try and place higher heights  over the next few days of model output.

We can only discuss what the Models are showing from day to day, And today the Gem and ECMWF are both showing the same signals as per recent GFS, Some were discounting the GFS altogether. I'm only looking at the broad overall pattern while as ever being fully aware of the usual crevats at this time-scale.. No use splitting hairs! 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

So the ECM mean is out and its supporting a northerly for a time before pressure building from the SW later on, which is what the 0z showed this morning.

EDM1-192.GIF?14-0

EDM1-240.GIF?14-0

Posted

In as much as the charts we posted are for OP runs at eleven days out, it would be hard to say what the conditions will be like on the ground for the second half of June. I only use the analogues section on that page, ensembles are slow to update.

For longer range, I'm always more confident if the ensembles from the Asian agencies are on board: in this instance they re not. I suspect the early summer will continue in a similar vein, with the Atlantic high moving towards/over the the UK but still not strong enough to close the door on incursions from the north.

Your comment to Summer Blizzard - he was posting this chart - since updated.

Please excuse if it is bad form to quote your own posts.

aGPVuwN.png

I just wanted to highlight the JMA ensembles for week two - the same pattern is shown on the BCC ensemble set - as said above, it raised a flag that the longer term may be a little more complicated than shown on the anomaly charts being posted here.

Nothing particulary bad in terms of weather, just below average temps due to a northerly flow - as you were, in fact!

@Milhouse.....still a lot to be determined for the UK in the +192 time frame.

EEM1-192_tvn1.GIF

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

The 6 to 10 day version of the NOAA anomaly chart tonight still looks okay(ish) - still shows signs of an upper ridge close by over the UK, with some of the ridging perhaps extending further North/North-West towards Eastern Greenland, although with the higher than average heights over UK/Western UK looking weaker compared to yesterday's anomaly chart, is does seem like a bit of a step down with regards to the dominance of UK High Pressure with less-strong heights being more possible (although I do feel the confidence the NOAA have with the outlook tonight seems lower than that of yesterday considering the anomalies on the chart this evening look a little less detailed).

(Yesterday's anomaly chart to left, tonight's anomaly chart to right).

post-10703-0-76828900-1434314266_thumb.jpost-10703-0-62607500-1434314295_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

NOAA has done a bit of volte face and now has come around to the idea of a NW/SE trough Greenland albeit weak and retrogression of the HP. An idea that the GEFS hinted at previously which it now seems to have gone off. The ECM does still show a vague interest but it remains that. All in all not very satisfactory at the moment with scenarios running from a general area of low pressure in the eastern Atlantic to HP maintaining it's influence.

Just to note northern blocking has never been on the cards,

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-65268500-1434315387_thumb.g

post-12275-0-42546500-1434315394_thumb.g

post-12275-0-89958600-1434315400_thumb.p

post-12275-0-19412000-1434315408_thumb.p

post-12275-0-00287300-1434315415_thumb.p

• Like 6

Posted

Nice to see sensible, detailed analysis of the summer models. :)

Indeed. And great to see such huge activity in here, and it not being a winter month! Bravo NW peeps!!!

As for this upcoming spell, I see the miss-mash of outputs from the NWP in the medium term as less encouraging, but still, when it's not nailed on, it's not nailed on. There's always flip flops in them, so why take anything as gospel?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I personally dont find the ECM athat bad of a run, shows some very slack low over the UK, turning to a very slack Northerly which would actually be good for homegrown storms for places, Uppers of +2'c - +3'c and surface temperatures around 20-23'c for a lot of UK I should Imagine. By 240 I see potential of Warmer air pushing up from the South as thatWarmer air pushing up from the South as that low to the south of that main area of high pressure looks to draw some warmer air up and, that low that is over us starts moving off to the East or north East., that low that is over us starts moving off to the East or north East.

This is at +240

11328826_10205741257749603_1787727859_n.

Correct me if you think I am wrong, I wouldn't be surprised that High to our North moves further East on its next run. :)

Edited by Stormyking
  • Like 3

Posted

As expected, the week 2 anomolys looking very weak now and that allows for anything to come and poke it's head above the parapet.

whilst London has had only 6% of its monthly rainfall this far this month, i suspect Penrith has been a bit wetter ............

• Like 3

Posted

Picking up on the post I made re what NOAA might show this evening. Folk have already posted their charts but my interpretation may be a touch different?

The link first of all

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

I made this comment in my daily checks on all 3 of the main anomaly charts

Noaa

6-10 an this chart is a sort of ‘nod’ to the ec-gfs idea, no decrease in the +ve in the far w but the slight +ve in the uk area is shifted nw and just a hint of a ridge there?

So a shift albeit slight by noaa; wait for the next one to see if this nod becomes larger and e-gfs keep to their ‘story’

8-14 shows similar trend so maybe noaa is moving to the ec-gfs version-we shall see over next 1-2 days

So IF ECMWF-GFS continues with their version and NOAA continues its shift from its previous position to something even more like their idea then we can really begin to believe that the upper air pattern is going to favour some kind of heights NW of the UK NOT over/E/SE of the country.

That would certainly scupper any ideas of much heat for the end of June in my view, how settled or unsettled, way too far ahead to be able to say but an interesting spell of seeing if GFS and ECMWF are going again to lead NOAA on upper air patterns for 6-10 days ahead?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Picking up on the post I made re what NOAA might show this evening. Folk have already posted their charts but my interpretation may be a touch different?

The link first of all

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

I made this comment in my daily checks on all 3 of the main anomaly charts

Noaa

6-10 an this chart is a sort of ‘nod’ to the ec-gfs idea, no decrease in the +ve in the far w but the slight +ve in the uk area is shifted nw and just a hint of a ridge there?

So a shift albeit slight by noaa; wait for the next one to see if this nod becomes larger and e-gfs keep to their ‘story’

8-14 shows similar trend so maybe noaa is moving to the ec-gfs version-we shall see over next 1-2 days

So IF ECMWF-GFS continues with their version and NOAA continues its shift from its previous position to something even more like their idea then we can really begin to believe that the upper air pattern is going to favour some kind of heights NW of the UK NOT over/E/SE of the country.

That would certainly scupper any ideas of much heat for the end of June in my view, how settled or unsettled, way too far ahead to be able to say but an interesting spell of seeing if GFS and ECMWF are going again to lead NOAA on upper air patterns for 6-10 days ahead?

The ECM-GFS thing you have put there is what I was thinking and the way im seeing it about the ECM towards the end of the run. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

18z has a more fluid, unsettled pattern..

Rtavn2161.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

18z has a more fluid, unsettled pattern..

Doesnt look a washout though particularly for the South (Midlands, Wales, EA & SE/SW). Quelle Surprise the 18z shows rather low heights around Greenland too. Clearly, too much flopping of the charts to take anything seriously. 

Nice end to the GFS on the 30th for my birthday. Very rarely known it to rain on this day. 

However seriously, it really doesnt look like any extreme can be expected for the rest of this month. Quite a lot of useable weather mind.

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

We can only discuss what the Models are showing from day to day, And today the Gem and ECMWF are both showing the same signals as per recent GFS, Some were discounting the GFS altogether. I'm only looking at the broad overall pattern while as ever being fully aware of the usual crevats at this time-scale.. No use splitting hairs! 

The point I was making was that we should only congratulate the models for getting the correct trend or pattern and as such can only give praise at T0 instead of a point when the trend is 7+ days away. This mornings output is proof of that as neither the GFS/GEM or UKMO output suggests any real positive heights to our north west and as such keep up in a north/south split pattern with a generally westerly based flow. 

Day 6 charts

GFS

gfs-0-144.png?0

UKMO

UW144-21.GIF?15-07

GEM

gem-0-144.png?00

There are of course spells where there are weak heights, but that is perfectly normal and their longevity is transient in nature, at 7 days away there is always the chance that the models are over-doing amplification in the Atlantic which very well could be the case here and as such we end up with an output this morning which broadly resembles the current metoffice thinking.

So in all the output at east for the next 7 days looks like a north/south split with little rainfall in the south couples with generally warm or even very warm conditions at times, the north seeing cooler and more unsettled spells of weather, especially from the end of the week onwards.

All subject to change of course  :laugh:

Edit - GFS ens continue to show heights to the south west maintaining their influence over the UK for the majority of the time with conditions at the surface being warmer than of late overall (back to more normal conditions in terms of temperature).

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 6

Posted

GFS and ECMWF both continue to show Heights push up over Greenland for around the 21st.

npsh500.168.pngnpsh500.png

•  
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS and ECMWF both continue to show Heights push up over Greenland for around the 21st.

npsh500.168.pngnpsh500.png

•  

UKMO however doesn't

UN144-21.GIF?15-07

• Like 7

Posted

Can we discern anything from this mornings anomalies. Probably not.

Starting at T144 the GEFS Has a ridge Alaska, LP western Pole and troughs NE Canada (eye to be kept) and Scandinavia, A weak ridge west of the UK.

The evolution of this out to T240 is to replace the Alaskan ridge with LP and swing everything else east thus a trough Greenland orientated SE, the weak ridge now over the UK and the Scandinavian trough a very weak feature. Surface wise a slack area of HP over the UK.

The evolution of the ECM is broadly similar except it's not so keen to retain weak ridging over the UK and thus the Greenland trough has more influence resulting in a broad area of slack LP over the eastern Atlantic. To me the fly in the ointment is the LP over the Pole and N. Canada. Could well spawn shortwave pertubations that may well swing around the Azores HP.

So that's two scenarios. I'm off to phone Mystic Meg.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-60504800-1434366987_thumb.p

post-12275-0-31450700-1434366995_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

well as so often happens one has broken ranks this morning on the anomaly charts, this time GFS, see below, so less confidence in just what the upper air pattern will be 5-7 days from now. NOAA will be interesting to see this evening whatever it shows, just what will the upper air pattern be is an interesting question!

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

• Like 1