Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st June 2015 12z--------->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Latest NOAA 8-14 anomaly

610day.03.gif

Still looking likely that the trough will be held out to our west (except perhaps creeping into NW areas). Still likely to be a block of some sort over the continent. Result: winds mostly drawn from a southerly quarter. Backs up tonight's ECM and the thoughts I posted above. Expect more heat at times next week then - likely to be more "normal" summer heat for the UK, though. Is it possible that 80F might be exceeded somewhere on each of the next 10 days?? (Sunday might be the dodgy day in the period)

Thats the 6-10day chart mate :)

Trouble is, i dont think it supports a large, lasting ridge over the uk, as per the ecm :(. It suggests a southwesterly upper flow, high to our southeast, low to our northwest giving us a rather unsettled pattern. Best summer weather confined to the southeast.

But hey, i could be wrong here..

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 3

Posted

Thats the 6-10day chart mate :)

Trouble is, i dont[/] think it supports a large, lasting ridge over the uk, as per the ecm :(. It suggests a southwesterly upper flow, high to our southeast, low to our northwest giving us a rather unsettled pattern. Best summer weather confined to the southeast.

Oooops! Thank you. On reflection, I think you're right, it doesn't quite support the ECM as it suggests High pressure (generally) to our east but not over us. Warm to very warm, but never 100% settled. Yes indeed, NW areas not guaranteed a great week by that - though it's a close call for them rather than a definite wash-out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Trouble is, i dont think it supports a large, lasting ridge over the uk, as per the ecm :(. It suggests a southwesterly upper flow, high to our southeast, low to our northwest giving us a rather unsettled pattern. Best summer weather confined to the southeast.

Cheer up mushy, enjoy this week, the best week of this summer so far with hot sunshine and a very good chance of intense thunderstorms at times.

post-4783-0-48141500-1435610184_thumb.jp

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Have to say I'm not quite sure if I'm looking at the same charts as everyone else sometimes, The GFS 12Z has continued the walk away from the potentially record-breaking heat modelled a few days ago. 

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2015062912/54-582UK.GIF?29-12

Wednesday topping out at 31c over a wide area and I happily agree we could see a 32-33c to the north west of London. 

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2015062912/102-582UK.GIF?29-12

Friday - again 31-32c around or to the west of London.

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2015062912/126-582UK.GIF?29-12

Saturday - 32c in Norfolk but 30c elsewhere as the hottest of the air clips East Anglia briefly.

Hot, yes, unpleasantly humid, yes but exceptional - not for London and the SE though Wednesday might be an exceptional day in some parts of the country which can miss out on these plume events.

As for next week - warm/very warm certainly (25-27c) but I simply don't see the return of 30+ c heat.. Indeed, GFS 12Z OP FI confirms a sharp swing back to a positive NAO and a more "normal" synoptic flow with LP to the North and HP to the South and  to be honest the LP is the dominant factor as we move further into July. 

None of this precludes the return of heat later into July and August - Tamara certainly seems of the view the pattern will reset - maybe, but GFS isn't showing that at present and we need the progression of Atlantic LP systems to slow to enable pressure to rise over or to the east of the British Isles.

Yes, a few days ago I was ridiculed  for saying that this heatwave was over dramatized and sensational. :rofl: Look at the realistic picture, yes it will be hot , but nothing out of an ordinary for a  Spanish plume in the Uk, no record breaking temps and no longevity of heatwave  conditons  Perhaps Mr Micheal Fish as it right 3 hot days and a thunderstorm... :D

• Like 7

Posted

In tonight's anomalies the ECM has more pronounced ridging over Greenland and trough in mid Atlantic thus affecting the position of the LP to the NW. Both agree of weakish HP around the UK and to the SW. Thus in general a WSW/SW flow. Temperatures and weather will be influenced by smaller scale features that emerge within this framework in the fullness of time but at this juncture there would appear to be nothing bordering on extremes in the pipeline.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-66898600-1435612708_thumb.p

post-12275-0-16613600-1435612718_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Yes, a few days ago I was ridiculed  for saying that this heatwave was over dramatized and sensational. :rofl: Look at the realistic picture, yes it will be hot , but nothing out of an ordinary for a  Spanish plume in the Uk, no record breaking temps and no longevity of heatwave  conditons  Perhaps Mr Micheal Fish as it right 3 hot days and a thunderstorm... :D

Again, nobody is sensationalising this or over dramatising the heatwave. They were not previously either, with people linking to charts showing the potential for record breaking heat. That's unlikely to happen now we're in the reliable timeframe but 34-35c is on the cards in the SE and that's far from ordinary, and not far from record breaking. (Worth mentioning that date records locally may be broken). Ordinary, eh? So yes, your deliberately provocative posts will be shot down if you dampen peoples understandable enthusiasm with misleading negativity just because it isn't your preference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Again, looking at the charts this evening, the GFS gives still widespread heat across the UK throughout this week excluding the weekend. However, the NetWx-MR still tries to bring very unstable air through Tuesday Night and through the later stages of next week however it seems like a mid level cap is in place especially around here even though CIN values aren't too high which is quite confusing... I hope something does break through tomorrow night or through Friday Night but we shall have to wait and see, at least we're going to get some proper heat for once, even down in the SW. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Ecm 12z ens mean shows warm / very warm weather persisting across the south/southeast next week with temperatures into the mid 20's celsius or a little above, largely fine in the south too, less warm and less settled across the northwest of the UK. It appears to be a nw/se split next week but having said that, we could still end up with high pressure in charge nationwide by days 9/10 like the ecm op.

post-4783-0-44208500-1435614539_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-44674300-1435614548_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-03427200-1435614557_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-32499100-1435614564_thumb.gi

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Again, looking at the charts this evening, the GFS gives still widespread heat across the UK throughout this week excluding the weekend. However, the NetWx-MR still tries to bring very unstable air through Tuesday Night and through the later stages of next week however it seems like a mid level cap is in place especially around here even though CIN values aren't too high which is quite confusing... I hope something does break through tomorrow night or through Friday Night but we shall have to wait and see, at least we're going to get some proper heat for once, even down in the SW. :D

the hi-res NMM 4k model shows moderate to strong capping at the 1000/850hpa boundary layer and in the mid-levels, the CIN values are high (the more negative the figure, the stronger the cap)...hope this helps

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

the hi-res NMM 4k model shows moderate to strong capping at the 1000/850hpa boundary layer and in the mid-levels, the CIN values are high (the more negative the figure, the stronger the cap)...hope this helps

Really? I don't see them being that high (about -50 to -100 j/kg)? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong chart. Ah well, we'll just have to wait and see...

Posted

Was this plume forecast by the ECM anomalies?

The anomaly wouldn't forecast the plume anyway merely the upper air pattern that would be conducive to one forming  I don't keep detailed records so can't flip back but I seem to remember they were caught out a tad by the sudden arrival of the Scandinavian HP. But my memory isn't what it was.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Really? I don't see them being that high (about -50 to -100 j/kg)? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong chart. Ah well, we'll just have to wait and see...

during the night time period, the SB CIN value is relevant for the synoptics in place, so we'll be looking at the ML CIN value, for tomorrow night, it's a pretty robust cap in place in the mid atmosphere, the cap is weakest over the SW, and in that region the upper cap is likeliest to be eroded giving rise to Ac Cas-like convection, a couple of hundred j/kg or so of capping will inhibit convection from developing generally speaking, although this particular model infers elevated convection more so(if any, over the Irish Sea, West Wales & Ireland)....I understand your posting from an IMBY perspective, but for the model threads, it's probably better to post in a more generalized UK perspective.....this is probably better suited to the storm/convective discussion thread so we can 'talk storm potential' over there as much as we want :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Again, nobody is sensationalising this or over dramatising the heatwave. They were not previously either, with people linking to charts showing the potential for record breaking heat. That's unlikely to happen now we're in the reliable timeframe but 34-35c is on the cards in the SE and that's far from ordinary, and not far from record breaking. (Worth mentioning that date records locally may be broken). Ordinary, eh? So yes, your deliberately provocative posts will be shot down if you dampen peoples understandable enthusiasm with misleading negativity just because it isn't your preference.

Sorry I don't know the history here between posters but just my two pennies worth that it isn't out of the ordinary for the South East to get temperatures in the early to mid thirties during summer, I should think the years they've not reached those temperatures are very few and far between... Southeast always benefit from continental heat when the wind Is in the right direction....If however it was further west and north that were going to get those temps then yes it would be slightly out of the ordinary (we hit over 32 last year twice in Exeter, Devon)

Anyway enjoy the heat and sun especially the southeast, looks like you'll be getting the intense thunderstorms as per usual too grrr :)

We're forecast to get 28 temp wise here so can't complain except on that day I'm working a 13 hour day argh, hopefully Saturday will be nice so I can go to one of our lovely beaches :)

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Saturday definitely looking likely to be a hot day now. Even most of the midlands aren't far off 30c again on the 18z with 33c for EA and London. Could get very close to the record this if those models stay similar and a usual 1-3c underestimation is factored in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Am I right in thinking that it is this circle of persistent lows around the globe that are giving us and lots of other countries our heatwaves/warm summer weather this year? If you run through the animation they take a long time to move or change, is that good for heatwave fans?

post-22381-0-40422800-1435642571_thumb.j

Posted

Am I right in thinking that it is this circle of persistent lows around the globe that are giving us and lots of other countries our heatwaves/warm summer weather this year? If you run through the animation they take a long time to move or change, is that good for heatwave fans?

I don't think so Woolly but this might be of interest.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/32704-north-american-weather-usa-canada/page-192#entry3221470

And this

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/62971-new-research/page-93#entry3221469

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Looking at the gfs 00z it looks like a north/south split next week. Cooler and showery in the north. Whilst the south remains on the warmer side of things. Temps around average in the north while the south remains in the twenties.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Saturday definitely looking likely to be a hot day now. Even most of the midlands aren't far off 30c again on the 18z with 33c for EA and London. Could get very close to the record this if those models stay similar and a usual 1-3c underestimation is factored in.

cant see that myself..

post-2797-0-61794400-1435645005_thumb.gipost-2797-0-74553200-1435645020_thumb.gi

looks a right mess after overnight/early morning storms/rain, overcast, muggy, grey, murky, but warm. :(  not what i want for my daughters wedding.

next week is looking unsettled, with warm/hot periods in a mobile southwesterly pattern, the one the anomaly charts have consistently suggested lies ahead ... so unforunately no pressure build as per yesterdays 12z ecm.

Posted

Looks like the latest GFS run has given a further upgrade on temperatures this week and NetWx-MR still going for fairly unstable air tonight and throughout Friday Night with now the possibility of some more unstable air coming in later on Tuesday next week.

The problem here as already mentioned is that we have a strong cap at mid level during this evening and overnight and mid level altitudes meaning any energy is cut off due to ML CIN. I'm not sure why this CIN is around as can't see any reason why. This will stop any thunderstorms from developing this evening and overnight and may only produce a few moderate/heavy showers in the most unstable air.

I think we will have to wait and see how Friday Night pans out but this could also be a "damp spuib", IMO. But, lets try and not be negative and we all might get lucky! :D

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Into Wk 2 the GFS continues to show a N/W - S/E Split under W/SW Flow. As weak fronts clip Scotland, And Hight's wax and wane in the South. 

h850t850eu.pngh850t850eu.pngh850t850eu.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

NMM is going for a high of 32c tomorrow with even parts of northern Scotland hitting 30c, part of northeast Scotland though struggle to reach 15c could be looking at some huge contrasts tomorrow with close to 30c in Inverness and the mid teens in Aberdeen 

nmmuk-0-38-0.png?30-07

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2