Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st June 2015 12z--------->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Interestingly the latest met office update says it will turn very warm and humid again next week away from the northwest of the BI after a cooler and fresher day on Sunday with an increasing chance of thundery showers in the south by next midweek which sounds to me like plume type weather returning, at least to the south, similar looking even further ahead too.

It doesn't sound to me like we will be seeing a return to the normal / sometimes unseasonably cool pattern which dominated most of June..ie LP to the northwest and HP to the southwest which is what the EC32 showed, the MO further outlook is for a continuation of summery weather apart from the occasional cooler blip..e.g. this coming Sunday.

I dont always agree with you, however this time I do, lol..

The MO must be very confident from their model views.

There is a very clear signal for the south to be much warmer than average for some time, with nearing hot spells and possible thunder.

I am not sure a plume is exactly the type of weather expected, however they seem to be reading the overall situation differently to some on here.

Its the time for Ian to give us those little hot bits of info.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I dont always agree with you, however this time I do, lol..

The MO must be very confident from their model views.

There is a very clear signal for the south to be much warmer than average for some time, with nearing hot spells and possible thunder.

I am not sure a plume is exactly the type of weather expected, however they seem to be reading the overall situation differently to some on here.

Its the time for Ian to give us those little hot bits of info.

It would soon become very boring if we all agreed with each other but I have to say, I agree with you on this occasion, lol Edited by Frosty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

GFS is back showing 30c+ for eastern England with the transition to cooler conditions delayed long enough to produce another hot day

Rtavn12617.gif

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Nice looking GFS charts on the latest run, hoping that tomorrow night does materialise here but I'm not too optomistic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Indeed Tamara there's certainly a clear trend towards a rinse and repeat pattern.

you can see by the model outputs that the lower heights seem to get stuck in the Atlantic.

Reminds me of the 80s type summers

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

It would soon become very boring if we all agreed with each other but I have to say, I agree with you on this occasion, lol

Which in turn seems to be what Tamara is saying as well.

Talking of boring, I think this weather down here will become boring if it stays to hot.

Maybe the talk of the summer will be model watching for cooler weather, lol...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS showing a new are of high pressure building next week which is an improvement on the 06z

gfs-0-192.png?12gfs-0-216.png?12

It looks like turning drier away from the northwest where there is the risk of rain, it will be turning warmer again for all after a fresher feel later in the weekend

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Last two GFS runs have upped the heat for this week, with a stronger return of the plume heading into Saturday :)

gfs-1-114.png?12

• Like 6

Posted

Indeed Tamara there's certainly a clear trend towards a rinse and repeat pattern.

you can see by the model outputs that the lower heights seem to get stuck in the Atlantic.

Reminds me of the 80s type summers

Well at this stage I don't buy  a repeat the middle of next week. Just an upper trough to the west is too vague and you only have to look at the latest GEFS anomaly to see why. Some warm weather I can go with at this stage but plume scenarios no. Can change of course.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-12795400-1435596909_thumb.p

post-12275-0-21766400-1435596919_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Nice looking GFS charts on the latest run, hoping that tomorrow night does materialise here but I'm not too optomistic.

I'm pretty confident tomorrow night will materialise ....in fact I'm 100% sure ........BUT

post-18260-0-26713900-1435597120_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Sorry guys

Much though i like the gfs 12z pressure build next week with its associated heat and sun, the anomaly charts dont really support such a high...

Unless im wrong, just for a change lol.

Posted

Have to say I'm not quite sure if I'm looking at the same charts as everyone else sometimes, The GFS 12Z has continued the walk away from the potentially record-breaking heat modelled a few days ago. 

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2015062912/54-582UK.GIF?29-12

Wednesday topping out at 31c over a wide area and I happily agree we could see a 32-33c to the north west of London. 

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2015062912/102-582UK.GIF?29-12

Friday - again 31-32c around or to the west of London.

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2015062912/126-582UK.GIF?29-12

Saturday - 32c in Norfolk but 30c elsewhere as the hottest of the air clips East Anglia briefly.

Hot, yes, unpleasantly humid, yes but exceptional - not for London and the SE though Wednesday might be an exceptional day in some parts of the country which can miss out on these plume events.

As for next week - warm/very warm certainly (25-27c) but I simply don't see the return of 30+ c heat.. Indeed, GFS 12Z OP FI confirms a sharp swing back to a positive NAO and a more "normal" synoptic flow with LP to the North and HP to the South and  to be honest the LP is the dominant factor as we move further into July. 

None of this precludes the return of heat later into July and August - Tamara certainly seems of the view the pattern will reset - maybe, but GFS isn't showing that at present and we need the progression of Atlantic LP systems to slow to enable pressure to rise over or to the east of the British Isles.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Have to say I'm not quite sure if I'm looking at the same charts as everyone else sometimes, The GFS 12Z has continued the walk away from the potentially record-breaking heat modelled a few days ago. 

Wednesday topping out at 31c over a wide area and I happily agree we could see a 32-33c to the north west of London. 

Saturday - 32c in Norfolk but 30c elsewhere as the hottest of the air clips East Anglia briefly.

Hot, yes, unpleasantly humid, yes but exceptional - not for London and the SE though Wednesday might be an exceptional day in some parts of the country which can miss out on these plume events.

As for next week - warm/very warm certainly (25-27c) but I simply don't see the return of 30+ c heat.. Indeed, GFS 12Z OP FI confirms a sharp swing back to a positive NAO and a more "normal" synoptic flow with LP to the North and HP to the South and  to be honest the LP is the dominant factor as we move further into July. 

None of this precludes the return of heat later into July and August - Tamara certainly seems of the view the pattern will reset - maybe, but GFS isn't showing that at present and we need the progression of Atlantic LP systems to slow to enable pressure to rise over or to the east of the British Isles.

Feel free to read back the last few pages were it has been discussed that the core heat has been shifted east. No one here is calling for record temps.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Not sure if it even has displayed record heat from day one, only perhaps more than a week ago now. Highest I've seen modelled is 35-36c (not record breaking, but not far off), which by all accounts could well be achieved if conditions are perfect. 

Top marks to the models on picking up on this in FI more than a week or so ago. They've done quite a decent job on this. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

33C is likely IMO, and we *could* see a 34-35C, so not as far from record-breaking heat as you suggest, and if anything the 12z has increased the heat from the past few runs by one degree or so. :)ECM has followed suit I see.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Current modelling suggests that the next 5 days could see 30C hit on any day (Tomorrow and Thursday being the least likely but the other days show the risk of temperatures going beyond 30C and into the low nineties in Fahrenheit). I would call that a solid hot spell even for this part of the UK. Other areas of central and northern England could get into the hot category at times with other areas warm or very warm too.

Sunday does look like being the day when temperatures do fall back but again only to average in north and still potentially very warm in the south. Into the following week, it won't take much considering the alignment of the jet to again bring widespread very warm or even hot conditions back in though at the moment the spells would be transient. That said there is always the chance of another set up to this week occurring where low pressure stalls west of the UK and allows the heat to surge northwards, pretty prominent considering the 20C isotherm is becoming increasingly an omnipresent feature even over central France by then.

Hottest days by 850s

ECU0-48.GIF?29-0

ECU0-120.GIF?29-0

Friday is hot due to a clearer and sunnier set up, well before the next front pushes northwards out of France.

The question for me is, will Wednesday be the hottest day (still going for 34C near Heathrow) or Saturday if the set up comes off.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I reckon its great that the topic of discussion is 'will it get to 36c or 32c... Lol. The gfs backed down? Downgraded? Man i dont care and i guess many others dont because it IS going to be hot! :)

We can easily get temps of 30c + at this time of the year under high pressure, the sort the ecm 12z suggests we will get next week. We got home grown 30c plus in 2006, so we dont need a plume off the continent to get heat.

I cant see the imminent heatwave being the only one we get, it would be highly unusual if it were. Imho the outlooks good.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

As for next week - warm/very warm certainly (25-27c) but I simply don't see the return of 30+ c heat.. Indeed, GFS 12Z OP FI confirms a sharp swing back to a positive NAO and a more "normal" synoptic flow with LP to the North and HP to the South and to be honest the LP is the dominant factor as we move further into July.

I don't understand. Most posts I have read haven't said there will be exceptional, record breaking heat? Infact people have been acknowledging the fact there it's less likely at the moment.

Again, people have only been mentioning that some hot spots might get temps a degree or two above the majority. And after that there is still uncertainty after this initial plume due to the close proximity of the Atlantic trough.

Not aimed at you, but the number of posts I have seen downplaying temps of mid twenties-low thirties is quite amusing to me. Only a short while ago there were endless moans about the constant temps of teens-low twenties and a nagging NW breeze.

All still to play for after this week tbh, even if it is to go back to "normal". The pattern of the jet looks ripe for reloads in my opinion but it's too far out in FI for me to think about at present.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Uppers of circa 13C ought to sufficient, when combined with five-days' unbroken sunshine and very little wind?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Before next week though Frosty, Saturday in the SE looks like a cracker.

Edit: Sorry RJBW posted already.

ECM0-120.GIF

Edited by SaffW
  • Like 1

Posted

Latest NOAA 8-14 anomaly

610day.03.gif

Still looking likely that the trough will be held out to our west (except perhaps creeping into NW areas). Still likely to be a block of some sort over the continent. Result: winds mostly drawn from a southerly quarter. Backs up tonight's ECM and the thoughts I posted above. Expect more heat at times next week then - likely to be more "normal" summer heat for the UK, though. Is it possible that 80F might be exceeded somewhere on each of the next 10 days?? (Sunday might be the dodgy day in the period)

• Like 2