Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st June 2015 12z--------->

Posted

I think the question we have regarding how high the temps will go is how sunny will this set up be? The BBC charts suggests quite a sunny set up but we seen before how thick high cloud can come up from the continent and not only that its also how much cloud will develop during the daylight hours in particular. 

Certainly looking forward too see how this will develop and how the models handle the potential 2nd plume also. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Nobody beats Frosty for enthusiasm, all year round. :)

Cheers for that mushy Rob but I'm just a small cog in a large wheel.

Looking at the Ecm 12z ensemble mean, Great weeks weather coming up if you like heat, becoming very warm and humid, hot at times in the s/e and the plume comes back on fri/Sat...further outlook, staying warm / very warm in the south.

post-4783-0-76549800-1435525136_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-34531200-1435525145_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-60998700-1435525153_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-94579300-1435525161_thumb.gi

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow. snow and more snow

Cheers for that mushy Rob but I'm just a small cog in a large wheel.

Looking at the Ecm 12z ensemble mean, Great weeks weather coming up if you like heat, becoming very warm and humid, hot at times in the s/e and the plume comes back on fri/Sat...further outlook, staying warm / very warm in the south.

to modest frosty! You're at least 4 cogs in that wheel! (Sorry mods off topic but think most would agree)
  • Like 7

Posted

("it seems to me that they have succeeded in their aim of dampening down enthusiasm in this thread for what is going to be wonderful spell of summer weather if you enjoy heat and interesting conditions")

I think we are still interested, but the forecast seems to be so certain that there seems little to discuss, and a lot of pre-emptive watering of gardens and making ice-cubes to be done, which is maybe taking up people's time, plus lots of normal "average " temperature summer weekend activities to be enjoyed before we all have to get hot and sweaty at work.

My twopence worth is a question about the next batch of heat: is it possible to look at the lows as they form over USA and work out which are most likely to give us the next extra swirl that flicks some more heat up from Spain. Not that it really matters, I just like to know where they start from.

Alicia Bentley's website is very good for GFS charts (one of the best I've seen) which allows you to track depressions easily amongst many other things,

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/abentley/realtime.html

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Another day and to be honest we still need quite a bit of time to establish the events which will occur Friday and Saturday. The ECM is fantastic and frankly the mid thirties would be possible if the skies are relatively clear, the feel in the south east would be borderline tropical in nature with high temperatures and humidity. It is though the outside solution with the consensus favouring a faster breakdown. That said this is still in the timeframe where we will see corrections east and west due to changes in the pattern, if this was 72 hours out then I would be bricking it as the natural progression seems to be shunting the highest heat east and into the low countries. At 5/6 days out then this could go the way of the ECM solution still.

Incredible charts though for early July, the fact we see this potentially happen twice is quite remarkable.

ECU0-72.GIF?28-0

ECU0-144.GIF?28-0

I suspect as others have already mentioned, the ECM solution could produce some mighty thunderstorms along the frontal boundary which pushes north east.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Going back to the EC 32 debate, the charts we see (even behind a paywall) are very limited. Means and anomolys for weeks 3 and 4 are likely to be vague. The data from ECM contains far more detailed charts that group together varying outcomes etc etc. sadly, very few get to see this.

Knocker kind enough to give you a broadbrush assessment but it's not going to be very helpful for weeks three and four.

...and I'd like to clarify that I really do appreciate the info Knocker gives us, and that in no way is my criticism of the EC32 meant in any way to reflect on him I have the utmost respect for his posts...he is someone I read full of appreciation for the knowledge he brings to his interpretation of the models.

Nevertheless, and this upcoming heatwave is a case in point, I really can't remember a time when a notable period of weather, such as we now seem to be embarking upon, was proclaimed to have been picked up first by the EC32. I do remember a time a couple of years ago Matt Hugo would regularly comment upon them on Twitter. Unfortunately I think Matt took a couple of reviews in perspective I took as personal criticism and blocked me!

• Like 1

Posted

to modest frosty! You're at least 4 cogs in that wheel! (Sorry mods off topic but think most would agree)

Cheers wishfulwinter, much appreciated

• Like 1

Posted

...and I'd like to clarify that I really do appreciate the info Knocker gives us, and that in no way is my criticism of the EC32 meant in any way to reflect on him I have the utmost respect for his posts...he is someone I read full of appreciation for the knowledge he brings to his interpretation of the models.

Nevertheless, and this upcoming heatwave is a case in point, I really can't remember a time when a notable period of weather, such as we now seem to be embarking upon, was proclaimed to have been picked up first by the EC32. I do remember a time a couple of years ago Matt Hugo would regularly comment upon them on Twitter. Unfortunately I think Matt took a couple of reviews in perspective I took as personal criticism and blocked me!

The most recent verification period for the EC32 shows that it failed to pick up on the cool month that June has seen in many parts of western Europe.

Y7wRESV.png

I'll add the link below for looking back on this coming week, when the period is analysed.

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/charts/mofc/verification/anomaly/anom_grp/vanomaly!2m%20temperature!Europe!mofc!2!anomaly!20150615!/

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Chelsea Steve? Wash your mouth out!

Anyway, the reason for my opinion on the non record based on several factors, mainly that the onset of the highest uppers is swift and we haven't had a period of high temps to set a conducive background and the start to Wednesday isn't likely to be ultra warm. Flow looks brisk also.

Past couple days, sat has looked the best chance to set the highest temp -mainly due to the v warm to hot background that the high uppers come back in against and a slacker sypnotic picture. Note this IS notable. To see uppers in the region of 20c pushing back in within a day or so of them departing is very rare indeed. So not a bog standard plume event due to the Saturday reload.

Tbh, I'm not certain that Saturday couldn't see the July record broken but for it to go, fri has to be warmer than currently modelled (possible) and Saturday has to deliver long sunny periods (also possible)

Watch this space!

Thanks for the clarification and my midnight chuckle. :D For some reason I've always thought you supported Chelsea. Maybe it's because of your relative proximity to a successful team in blue. I definitely appreciate that you know your Stuff though. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Alicia Bentley's website is very good for GFS charts (one of the best I've seen) which allows you to track depressions easily amongst many other things,

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/abentley/realtime.html

Absolutely brilliant link, thank you, just what I was hoping for :-)

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Euro is a little progressive, gets the job done on Friday night in terms of killing chances of 30C+.

Rtavn1264.gif

• Like 2

Posted

The GFS isn't pushing the temp envelope quite so much this morning with Wednesday being the warmest in the low 30sC around London. The second wave on Saturday is not so warm and a touch too far east with a light SW flow in the lower levels making Friday the last really warm day. It has the small low Wednesday morning running north through Cornwall and Wales. The last fax chart I've seen has the cold front down central England 12z Thursday.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-98334400-1435554671_thumb.p

post-12275-0-33131400-1435554678_thumb.p

post-12275-0-27301700-1435554685_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted

Saturday's potential temp reload is stifled somewhat on ECM this morning compared to its previous runs. Given the lack of ens members wanting to push this, i suspect the July record is safe from this particular 'heatwave'.

• Like 3

Posted

You were sweating there for a while (so to speak). I notice also that you were correct in nudging me vis the trough to the west on the ext anomalies as I see last night the ecm running with it at T360 and the 8-14 NOAA is still on board. Your on a roll.

Edited by knocker

Posted

You were sweating there for a while (so to speak). I notice also that you were correct in nudging me vis the trough to the west on the ext anomalies as I see last night the ecm running with it at T360 and the 8-14 NOAA is still on board. Your on a roll.

We will all be sweating this week mate!

Re the extended, depends if the trough can dig as per this week. It could be mobile and just generate a sw phase to the evolution. Generally speaking, things do tend to repeat though not necessarily to the same extent

• Like 1

Posted

We will all be sweating this week mate!

Re the extended, depends if the trough can dig as per this week. It could be mobile and just generate a sw phase to the evolution. Generally speaking, things do tend to repeat though not necessarily to the same extent

Quite and at the risk of stating the obvious you wouldn't want pressure build In Europe to be too far east. All to play for.

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM has a big improvement for week 2 this morning with further reloads of the heat not out the question

Recm1682.gifRecm1922.gifRecm2162.gifRecm2402.gif

UKMO seems to have eased off as well for the low with it now staying out west

Rukm1201.gifRukm1441.gif

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Excellent post by Gibby as normal.

The low to our west is likely to be held back with only slight inroad track into the UK.

What this will allow is the normal British type summer weather few days of heat thundery breakdown then reloads and alternating between sw south and southeast flow.

This was something I mentioned back last month which at times came close to fruition only heat was at that time not around to be drawn up.

But now heat is establishing itself into Europe and with atmospheric changes taking place in the pacific you can expect further reloads of warmth.

Although the extreme heat of the next few days or more,

maybe tempered down in future weeks there's no indication of a complete lock down in to a zonal type anywhere in the near future.

So OK we lose the scoarcher on Saturday but anything above 23c is pleasant and warm.

I still expect summer 2015 to be the best in a few years.

Almost certain to be a prodomantly humid thundery summer this year.

As Steve murr related to recently 20c upper air temp is rare as -15 in winter so anything above 13c upper air would relate to warm which is nice.

Anything above is a bonus so BBQ at the ready wellies for the storms and ditch the coats

• Like 6

Posted

Interesting Euro run today slowing the trough which allows another little plume to the south on Mon/Tues. Pressure rebuilds afterward but upper temperatures are less exciting. 

GFS and GEM on the other hand are more in line with the modelling of recent days in that they breakdown at the weekend and then we get a broadly westerly pattern and N/S split (nothing unusual then). 

Euro ensembles would tend to back the GFS/GEM from day 8..

Reem2161.gif

Posted

The Gfs 6z shows the first nationwide summery spell this week, across the board the temperatures soar into the 80's F and for parts of the south east..into the 90's. Super weather with long spells of hot hazy sunshine but becoming very humid, with an increasing chance of catching an intense thunderstorm, this run shows quite a few storms breaking out and spreading N/E. The plume pushes off to the east for a time with lower humidity on Thursday before spreading north again for fri/sat with increasing heat again. Further ahead, becoming fresher on Sunday from the west but staying warm in the south but cooler and more unsettled further north, a nice end to the run with high pressure over the UK.

post-4783-0-08260400-1435578364_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-68209700-1435578375_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-36014900-1435578517_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-72914300-1435578528_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-24023700-1435578537_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-56838300-1435578549_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-46940600-1435578583_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-19492400-1435578608_thumb.pn

• Like 4

Posted

Afternoon all :)

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

Clear signs that this week's plume isn't going to last - the NAO swinging back sharply positive suggesting a more "normal" set up of LP to the North-West and HP to the South-West. None of this precludes it being settled but it doesn't suggest a Plume-type S'ly or SE'ly flow. 

I have to say this is off the 00Z suite of runs and the 06Z looks different to what I was expecting.

• Like 3

Posted

Clear signs that this week's plume isn't going to last - the NAO swinging back sharply positive suggesting a more "normal" set up of LP to the North-West and HP to the South-West. None of this precludes it being settled but it doesn't suggest a Plume-type S'ly or SE'ly flow.

I have to say this is off the 00Z suite of runs and the 06Z looks different to what I was expecting.

Interestingly the latest met office update says it will turn very warm and humid again next week away from the northwest of the BI after a cooler and fresher day on Sunday with an increasing chance of thundery showers in the south by next midweek which sounds to me like plume type weather returning, at least to the south, similar looking even further ahead too.

It doesn't sound to me like we will be seeing a return to the normal / sometimes unseasonably cool pattern which dominated most of June..ie LP to the northwest and HP to the southwest which is what the EC32 showed, the MO further outlook is for a continuation of summery weather apart from the occasional cooler blip..e.g. this coming Sunday.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 8

Posted

Interesting 6z run.. we end up unsettled before a high then moves over the UK before retrogressing to Greenland..

6z does not go with the Euro at day 10..

Rtavn2403.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Have to say your analysis fits with the NOAA 8-14 day anomaly forecast, to some extent:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/500mb.php

Would suggest to me our weather will be more affected by what comes from the SW, whether troughs or highs. Some sort of NW / SE split could be the result.

However, I would not say it precludes any sort of plume. There is still the potential for heat to be drawn up on the back of a migrating high pressure cell as it moves from the Atlantic into Europe - as indeed looks like happening as early as D8 on most ens charts. Maybe this is what the METO are seeing.

In any event, I would expect another above average week next week in the SE, with 30C at risk at times, and perhaps nearer average in more NW areas. Just a small chance of the trough moving close enough to the UK to bring us all close to the average.

• Like 2