Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - SPANISH PLUME - 30/06/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Has a anyone got ano update re the front out West has it stalled or something?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

As others have noted, it is interesting to see the revised positioning (aka slowdown) of the cold front out to the west. It's stifling outside, and it's fantastic as it just doesn't feel like Britain! I'm really hopeful but not expectant of storms later. All the ingredients are there and I'm just waiting to see the radar come to life as something, anything triggers the release of this pent up energy. Looking at the satellite pics there is still plenty of cloud breaks for central and eastern areas. :)

Posted

TBH, I think the Metoffice have got this bang on, the showers in Wales will drift through the Irish Sea, into SW Scotland and exit NE Scotland.

• Like 1

Posted

Good balanced views for both arguements snowman, but this is more than a one in 10 years event, see 28th June 2012 and 19th July 2014 for similar synoptics that delivered Supercell Thunderstorms with the same synoptics. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, funny thing is the goodies are still on the table for this evening, will it happen, thats upto Mother Nature.

Interesting thing going on in Ireland, they have had a very strong Cap, something has breached that Cap and there looks to be a strong thunderstorm sheared already going on over there, a late cap break is no bad thing if the cap has rebuilt in after the WAA action has cleared through

Definitely true for Northern and Central England, although for us in Central/Southern Scotland, these events are incredibly rare. Last similar one was in May 2006 , but that delivered the goods.

Yeah it is really interesting. Not going to give up all hope for today (just 99% of it :p)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

post-17472-0-34214300-1435770333_thumb.j

It is a 'very low' risk, high impact yellow warning. This would mean:

Some areas outside the warning zone the UK is likely to be at a very low risk, and lesser impact resulting in no warning. Q

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

TBH, I think the Metoffice have got this bang on, the showers in Wales will drift through the Irish Sea, into SW Scotland and exit NE Scotland.

there meant to be thunderstorms not light/moderate rain showers

• Like 3

Posted

What's the situation with Friday night. Are we expecting a widespread thundery breakdown or more of a localised event. I notice that the whole of the south has a high storm risk from Friday evening onwards.

Posted

I think those of us who've been following the weather for 20/30 years are probably a bit more relaxed. We know how random storms can be on days like this. We don't hold Apps to their word and realise that the graphics on the BBC and Met Office maps are representative of potential and not indicative of what will definitely happen.  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather

All true of course Paul, but in Texas, there'll be another chance tomorrow or next week. Some here haven't had a proper storm for years, so every chance is a must, or it could be next June before the next chance!

Exactly, i agree.

D'you know what i'd love to see with my own eyes. A thundercloud maturing and growing. I'm sure that must be a fantastic sight to watch it billow upwards, growing bigger and bigger then...booom! Lovely . Well, its still very warm here. Poor old dog's knackered. The sky changes from pretty little white clouds and streaks of blue sky to dull, overcast dark clouds. Fingers still crossed. I'm ever hopeful âš¡

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

One rumble of thunder here. Looked very promising for a while, with towers going up all over, undulatus and very dark CBs just to my east. Then it just seemed to conk out - what an anticlimax. Just too much CIN it seems.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I think the heat adds to people's aggression and frustration. I understand their moaning.

It's a bit like giving a room full of parched people a bottle of water that looks like it's got something in it - but when they pick it up it hasn't - and then the people who gave them the bottle say 'well we never said it was full!'

That's the only analogy I have right now :-)

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 4

Posted

A little shower gone up NW of Stoke, Sun has finally come back out here too, and the cloudscapes are more 'broken'.

Yes sun been out the last 20mins clouds look more interesting behind the clear slot

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

This thread is ridiculous this evening. There are people moaning about not having seen a storm yet and it is only just gone 6pm. There are people attacking other members for gracing us with their more experienced views. Nobody is paid to put their thoughts on here, they do so out of their enjoyment of the subject and to give us an insight into what is likely to happen. I for one very much appreciate the likes of those who provide their honest balanced opinions and quite frankly get tired of those that provide attacks towards the met office and others - I am sure many others agree.

If I had more time I would go through and delete 50% of the posts on here, or at least move them to where they should be.

Is the heat getting to people or what???? I still think there is hope both this evening, tonight and then for the rest of the week and into the weekend. Come on, we all share a love of storms - lets not start attacking each other.

Heat...It hasnt reached 20℃ here at all today on the NE coast but still we got a decent storm.. expect the unexpected..!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

What's the situation with Friday night. Are we expecting a widespread thundery breakdown or more of a localised event. I notice that the whole of the south has a high storm risk from Friday evening onwards.

Met office/BBC have French imports affecting Some of Southern England during Thursday ( although latest fax update suggests quite a delay in tomorrows eastward movement of the cold front.

Talk of 35c in the East again unlikely but i expect 30c or so ahead of it.

Friday sees the threat of further storms feading off the near continent into parts of Southern England later in the day.

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: nasty

Well the AcCas- asparatus combo meal is back again here, looks just like it did at 1.30 this aft.... Shortly before the sky lit up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

I hope all the people squealing about no storms that they are just trying out reverse psychology.

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

I hope that clump of rain edging into Scotland develops and heads my way, I need a storm!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Temp at leeds and bradford 28C, due point 23C! Bits of cumulus developing, still in with a shout.

Notorious for being a 'cool' weather station as well :)

Interesting to hear Paul Hudson's thoughts at 18:55 wrt storms.

Edited by Malcolm Hielte
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Does all look to be dying off if I'm brutally honest

I'm satisfied now I finished work and found a pub. The heat is actually quite nice now :-)

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc