Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 04/07/15 Onward - Heat & Plumes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

In Bridlington can hear thunder :D

Posted

Two people are dead, and two others are in hospital, following separate lightning strikes in the Brecon Beacons in Powys.

Just popped up on my iPhone tragic...you are talking about a high voltage bolt that if passes through you it can have dire consequences 70% of our body is made of water so please folk be cautious and not expose yourself.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Two people are dead, and two others are in hospital, following separate lightning strikes in the Brecon Beacons in Powys.

Just popped up on my iPhone tragic...you are talking about a high voltage bolt that if passes through you it can have dire consequences 70% of our body is made of water so please folk be cautious and not expose yourself.

Very sad news - I doubt they were even aware of the risk of thunderstorms today - if there was even a chance of T&L, I've always cancelled my climb and made other plans. Not worth the risk no matter how unlikely, because you are often so exposed.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted

Thunder and lightning fairly frequent now just south of me,every 10 seconds or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Just nabbed two bolts as the squall line neared, wasn't epic but it was nice to see all the same and to also dust off the lightning trigger to see if the old girl still works.

post-12197-0-85608200-1436116911_thumb.j

post-12197-0-39001700-1436117198_thumb.j

Edited by Flipflop
  • Like 4

Posted

Very sad news - I doubt they were even aware of the risk of thunderstorms today - if there was even a chance of T&L, I've always cancelled my climb and made other plans. Not worth the risk no matter how unlikely, because you are often so exposed.

Yes this is true often on the mountains weather conditions can change abruptly so there is always a risk. I do not even think it was forecasted :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Yes this is true often on the mountains weather conditions can change abruptly so there is always a risk. I do not even think it was forecasted :(

But it was, Daniel...You'd expect mountaineers to be more up-to-speed than the layman. But, sadly, too many folks have been bamboozled by the 'wonders' of modern technology?? Tragic, all the same. :cc_confused:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

A little vid of the 3rd/4th July thunderstorm that had a big fight with Southern, Eastern and central parts of the UK. 3 little pieces of footage edited together to show the best part of the storm with some big flashes of lightning and loud thunder greeting Solihull. The storm lasted for about an hour and the frequency of the lightning peaked to around 1 to 2 flashes per 10 seconds. Would say it was the best storm to have witnessed in the last few years, particularly in terms of how often the lightning occurred. (sorry about my annoying talking in the background - seems like an easy thing to do when their's exciting weather about, lol)

Few still video shots of a cloud to ground lightning below (3rd image along an edited version of the 2nd image to make it clearer to see). Most of the lightning seemed to just be sheet lightning and flashes of light, but that was one of the odd exceptions. Happens 0:54 into the vid above if you're not keen on watching it all. Not the best quality, admittedly.

post-10703-0-13881500-1436117392_thumb.ppost-10703-0-57530000-1436117416_thumb.ppost-10703-0-02533900-1436117614_thumb.j

Additionally some great pics from others above from today's and Friday's storms. And those shelf/wall clouds, in particular, are just amazing. :o :)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Thundering here now but infrequent so probably dying off some heavy rain about though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

One from earlier

Not another alien mothership? :D

• Like 1

Posted

Saw the line move in whilst at the Manchester Barton airshow, a few strikes in the distance but just heavy rain and strong winds at Barton. Every available place of shelter was packed-in by crowds as the rain came down. Needless to say the last 2 displays of the day were cancelled.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

But it was, Daniel...You'd expect mountaineers to be more up-to-speed than the layman. But, sadly, too many folks have been bamboozled by the 'wonders' of modern technology?? Tragic, all the same. :cc_confused:

Very true, Weather and Mountaineering come together in my view.. The most impotant aspect before setting out. Especially during Winter ☺ Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Well it seems that NE England was the place to be this week! Been battered by storms every day when there was a forecast for thunderstorms...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well it seems that NE England was the place to be this week! Been battered by storms every day when there was a forecast for thunderstorms...

I can confirm this afternoons 'event' in Darlington is nothing compare to Wednesday a few rumbles of thunder in the distance other than that just a period of steady moderate rain

Posted

Saw the line move in whilst at the Manchester Barton airshow, a few strikes in the distance but just heavy rain and strong winds at Barton. Every available place of shelter was packed-in by crowds as the rain came down. Needless to say the last 2 displays of the day were cancelled.

Get through the traffic alright? I don't know who the hell planned the air show the same day as a rugby league match at the A J Bell Stadium but someone didn't check the diary. Idiots!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Heres a few snaps i took earlier before and after the storm

left and right view as the storm aproaches,sorry for the thelephone lines,can't do much about that

post-16960-0-16468500-1436119593_thumb.jpost-16960-0-02233300-1436119647_thumb.j

this pic had some rotation to it post-16960-0-15681800-1436119827_thumb.j

as the storm went over(view to the east) post-16960-0-45489100-1436119918_thumb.j

from the back facing NE,some lovely mamartus post-16960-0-78588900-1436120058_thumb.jpost-16960-0-41870400-1436120115_thumb.j

and a Cb blowing up to the east,SE of the storm

post-16960-0-77452800-1436120172_thumb.jpost-16960-0-59462100-1436120232_thumb.jpost-16960-0-28052300-1436120292_thumb.j

well that's three storms since Wednesday,not bad for here at all,ok,off to view my clips from earlier to capture some lightning stills,back in a bit.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 8

Posted

Lightning hit our post box the other night apparently...

post-8968-0-62744700-1436120493_thumb.jp

post-8968-0-87985300-1436120503_thumb.jp

Wonder no one was hurt.

It's still like that now kinda expected post to be flying everywhere but maybe no one uses it or someone stole it.

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Lightning hit our post box the other night apparently...

attachicon.gifDSC_0296.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0295.JPG

Wonder no one was hurt.

It's still like that now kinda expected post to be flying everywhere but maybe no one uses it or someone stole it.

Thats so terribly British storm damage.  Almost at the level of the dreaded f-trampoline tornado. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Another day...another bust.

The wait goes on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Nice thunderstorm in Stourbridge earlier with some pretty loud rumbles. Some great mammatus cloud seen too.

Now up to 3 separate storm cells in 2 days. Not bad. :)

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Got as far as Stanley (near Durham) glad we went as wegot to see some Cg's and a turbulent sky. Had to cut the 'chase' short as the car developed a turbo problem and had to limp back. Here on the coast the storm diminished very suddenly as the 'cruel' North sea easterly killed it off.!!

post-5386-0-43298700-1436123037_thumb.jp

Approaching the storm.

post-5386-0-08294600-1436123072_thumb.jp

Closer..!

post-5386-0-53812300-1436123107_thumb.jp

post-5386-0-55951900-1436123130_thumb.jp

post-5386-0-52751200-1436123155_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Another thundery shower just passing to the south on the radar.

Tuesday morning could be interesting with what likes like an active cold front moving through during the early hours. GFS shows around 500j/kg of CAPE along a narrow line coupled with deep layer shear and low ELT's. Too far away for any detail yet.