Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 4th July and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

What a grim day it's been, maximum temps 3 or 4*C short of expectations due to the cloud persisting instead of breaking up nicely.

Very light winds though so not all bad.

There's been a wicked, increasingly blood-red sky these past 15 minutes. Perhaps a harbinger of improved prospects tomorrow? You know, "red sky at night...". Or do I have it the wrong way around?  :fool:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

What a grim day it's been, maximum temps 3 or 4*C short of expectations due to the cloud persisting instead of breaking up nicely.

Very light winds though so not all bad.

There's been a wicked, increasingly blood-red sky these past 15 minutes. Perhaps a harbinger of improved prospects tomorrow? You know, "red sky at night...". Or do I have it the wrong way around?  :fool:

Red sky at night, tomorrow's forecast is shight? ;)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

I'm currently down in St merryn near padstow and it's been a cracking day, wall to wall sunshine, can believe it's been so poor further east, even Ian said in his forecast this evening that it was modelled wrong

Posted

Red sky at night, tomorrow's forecast is shight? ;)

There has only been such a stunning sunset this evening due to the proximity of the front which hasn't moved away! Such a sunset being the one saving grace of the front.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Rain here now. Not heavy, but still a shocker of a forecast.

even Ian said in his forecast this evening that it was modelled wrong

Another one of many unforecasted rain events this summer - even the mid-morning BBC forecast for today was wrong: myself soaked, washing soaked, gardening plans this evening cancelled again.

Posted

The local 'rag' has the weather story covered today then, with the following in the headline story

"A yellow 'be aware' alert for Bournemouth, Poole and the rest of the county is valid from 6am until just before midnight on Thursday. "

Well that's got it then.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Have you seen the projected rainfall totals for our area, well actually most of the south to be honest, for tomorrow and Friday  :shok: The weather this morning is the complete opposite, although its the first morning I have felt autumn in the air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Have you seen the projected rainfall totals for our area, well actually most of the south to be honest, for tomorrow and Friday  :shok: The weather this morning is the complete opposite, although its the first morning I have felt autumn in the air.

Another storm warning for us  :search:  :doh:

We shall see, without even checking the models last few days I can almost guarantee it will go east of this region as virtually every storm does.

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Lovely start to the day, much as it was supposed to be yesterday. Looks like being a solitary nice day so can't really call it a nice spell as such. Rainfall amounts look pretty concerning - wunderground reckons my area will get 63mm tomorrow and 29mm on Friday. Of course we'll see nearer the time but that would take us over double August's average here.

Edit: I spoke too soon. Infill cloud has developed to spoil a nice afternoon. Nevermind.

Edited by MP-R

Posted

This wasn't forecast to the best of my knowledge. In the last hour an incursion of multi layered Ac and medium level instability, one clap of thunder, and now slight rain. Just as well I went for a stroll around the lake earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

This wasn't forecast to the best of my knowledge. In the last hour an incursion of multi layered Ac and medium level instability, one clap of thunder, and now slight rain. Just as well I went for a stroll around the lake earlier.

Where's the thunder, knocker?

• Like 1

Posted

Is that a trick question? Anyway it was just one clap.

I presume it was in lovely Camborne. It wasn't detected so was curious.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Cloudy .  22.1c   Breeze 12km/h.

Posted

Hazy and feeling humid. Recent high level cloud now clearing slowly to the north. 22.5°C and humidity is 69%.

Posted

Good luck to everyone who is still needing a storm this year, I know I certainly am! Hoping I take a direct hit here in South Glos but the way this year has been I am not getting my hopes up just yet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Good luck to everyone who is still needing a storm this year, I know I certainly am! Hoping I take a direct hit here in South Glos but the way this year has been I am not getting my hopes up just yet.

Hopefully but current forecasts seem to want the most likely activity to be to be to our east and west :laugh: a case of watching the radars now anyway...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Currently in St merryn looking good for me here,the ones in the channel seem to be heading north west at the moment. Not looking forward so much to the noise that heavy rain brings when staying in a caravan

Fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

A nice fancy selection of clouds this nice and cool(er) evening.

post-20399-0-29321900-1439408175_thumb.j

Earlier on was borderline unbearable... just walking to the shop around the corner and I was drenched. I really can't hack the humid warmth. :/

Posted

Currently in St merryn looking good for me here,the ones in the channel seem to be heading north west at the moment. Not looking forward so much to the noise that heavy rain brings when staying in a caravan

Fromey

Hi Fromey - you're near where I live (Constantine Bay) - hope we get something good. I quite like the sound of rain on a caravan roof but probably not good if you have little ones with you! Fingers crossed.

Posted

The "SWG" (South West Gap) seems to be filling back in which is good to see, no doubt it will split over Bristol area again.... I expect... 

EURO4 suggesting the main precip not even here by 6am...? Long night ahead for here. Cornwall, running along the south coast could do pretty well soon esp IOW looks like its about to take a direct hit as we speak. 

15081306_1218.gif

Edited by Zephyr

Posted

It's now 1:48 and so quiet, not a breath of wind in the air, humidity is still quite high, and yet looking at the radar, have a large storm about to hit, seems unreal.