Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 4th July and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Think I will get a few hours before things happen, good night all. :) good luck!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

Sat right in the middle with the two areas of heaviest rain miles away on each side. Another bust.

Ditto......seems there's a storm sheild here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Biblical rain they said, 10 inches they said, so far nothing

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Oh wow I am glad I stayed up for this one.. ;-)

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like you'll be updating your signature by the end of today...

:rofl:

Just thought I would post the rainfall accumulation to show you all the ferocity of the storms we all received over night -

post-8911-0-14755800-1439452520_thumb.pn

:80:

Quick update - I think I felt a spot of drizzle but I may of imagined it.

rainfall so far 0.0mm

Edited by Nights King

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Morning all!

First rumbles of thunder heard in Southampton. A mizzly morning but no real rainfall as yet. 1014mB, 17C, 91% humidity but feeling quite stuffy and airless.

Felling a bit concerned about my little kitten at home - it's her first storm!

Kate

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

0.4mm to 09.00GMT.  At present overcast and humid but in the gap between all the action.  No thunder heard as yet.

Posted

We're getting the first few drops of rain here now.

The OH has just spoken to her mother in Fawley on the south coast and they've currently got Thunder and Lightning, which now looks like it will head NW up the A36.

Edit - moderate rain here now.

Edited by jtay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I think it's safe to say we will get a couple of hours of moderate rain later today (probably when I take the dog for a walk), can't see any electrical activity making this far West though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

El Damp Squibo, me thinks.....and not much of the damp bit either

Posted

I think it's safe to say we will get a couple of hours of moderate rain later today (probably when I take the dog for a walk), can't see any electrical activity making this far West though.

Stay safe everyone  :rofl:

Is it safe to update my signature yet? 

• Like 1

Posted

I'm never sure which bit we fall into in the middle bit here but just thought I would report, heavy thunder in Brighton with heavy downpours for the last hour and a quarter. Lightning varying but up to 4 a minute seems to be all around within a mile of where I am. Worst of all wife in hospital waiting for me to visit .................. love is going out in the best (or depending on your view worst) storm of the year and getting soaked to deliver deodorant and clean clothes. I should be at home with tea and biscuits enjoying the show! But oh no............here we go :shok: 

• Like 1

Posted

Yawn, another one of those, it's going to.........

No it isn't

Scenarios,

.....still stuck right in the middle with nowt to show, and seemingly less unlikely as time moves forward. Going to go rub out the first digit from the forecasted rainfall for Dorset, which was 61mm.

So looking more like 1mm.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Yup, one decent rumble of thunder in Southampton but now the TS seem to be pulling back to Sussex/Kent :sorry:

Feeling fresher, 4.5mm of rain so far. No stair rods.

Kx

• Like 1

Posted

No it isn't

Scenarios,

.....still stuck right in the middle with nowt to show, and seemingly less unlikely as time moves forward. Going to go rub out the first digit from the forecasted rainfall for Dorset, which was 61mm.

If you fancy some entertainment have a look at the latest morning video forecast published on website just before 9pm for a giggle - 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2639715  I am surprised they went with that forecast after the storms failed to materialize over night?

Edited by Nights King

Posted

I think the LOW has (so far) remained further South than expected on last night's forecast. Ian mentioned on his Points West forecast that the thundery activity would likely split in 2 as it moved across our region. If you review the radar from overnight into this morning that happened albeit 100 miles or so further South.

As a result everything else from those forecasts is also occurring further South, again citing Ian's forecast the 2nd wave of storms are actually occurring but further South and even SE.

I am assuming that the current moderate rain here is from the anvil overspill of what looks a very active MCS type system to the SE, although there is so much low cloud that it is impossible to see what is higher up.

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted

So maybe the last line should read

The public should be aware of a significant zero risk of localised disruption due to the lack surface water flooding. 

That's a ROFL forecast there....

Locally updated for here, where it states...

Bournemouth and Poole look set to avoid most of the rain and thunder, with a 90% chance of rain before 10am, but then just a 20% chance of rain for the rest of the day.

OK, so the 10am deadline has gone, with that blown away, and 20% for the rest of the day, I think you could be certain on that happening anywhere in these conditions.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Overcast. A little damp from very light Mist/drizz/e.  No measure on weather station or my TWO Manual gauges. :angry:

â€‹

Posted

Overcast. A little damp from very light Mist/drizz/e.  No measure on weather station or my TWO Manual gauges. :angry:

â€‹

I suppose we can wait a few more hours for the second pulse of storms to come although It doesn't feel warm enough with the thick cloud layer.

Certainly rarer than snowfall for the west country though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

No it isn't

Scenarios,

I share your disappointment Dorsetbred! However, at about 10pm last night I was standing on a high point between Worth Matravers and Corfe Castle and while I could see the lightning out over the channel, I realised that the wind direction had changed and was taking the clouds more East than about an hour before. So I wasn't surprised when we got diddly squat last night :(