Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 20th August 2015 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

When is that vile front gonna clear Cumbria. Loads of local flooding

Not sure TS. But it ain't gonna snow in Carlisle? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Ok seriously I really think Tomorrow needs a big eye kept on it! Looks nasty, i generally feel there could be some nasty thundery showers in the South and South East

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Ok seriously I really think Tomorrow needs a big eye kept on it! Looks nasty, i generally feel there could be some nasty thundery showers in the South and South East

Be nice if this weren't on a Monday though eh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

At the moment it does look nasty to our SSW with a few sferics showing in the BoB,there is a clump of ppn just coming out of N france at the moment that needs watching,that has intensified on the latest returns,i hope you lot get some storms tomorrow in the S/SE,i have had my fair share :D:good:

that is one mighty system

http://meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

met office warning out for the S/SE

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1440370800&regionName=uk

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Another day and what will it bring

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

test post

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Finally finished editing and this is a video I have put together of the storm which I chased towards the village of Woore on the border of Shropshire and Cheshire during the evening. I was actually just to the west of the village. 

• Like 6

Posted

I knew it was looking interesting, Thunder and Lightning and torrential raian right now here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I knew it was looking interesting, Thunder and Lightning and torrential raian right now here!

Really?

Posted

Really?

I doubt he would have just made it up, Blltzortung shows strikes (albeit only a few)

Not raining in Southampton yet, but looks only a matter of time.

Edited by James_southampton
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Absolutely chucking it down here on Hayling Island!! Poured for much of the night too, chilly in NE winds. Looks like summer is over lol.

Posted

As I expected all the electrical activity has ceased. Lucky few may get some sporadic or isolated flashes but I don't think the term 'thunderstorm' should be used.

Lots of rain though which is good for all the ducks, plants, trees and puddles!

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

CONVECTIVE / STORM FORECAST  MONDAY 24TH AUGUST 

Valid: 24/08/2015 0600z to 25/08/2015 0600z

post-1052-0-11683100-1440409721_thumb.pn

Synopsis

Negatively-tilted short-wave upper trough will move NE across NW Europe on Monday, a deep surface low, that deepens in the left exit region of strong jet rounding base of this upper trough, will track NE across N France before moving out into the N Sea. An active occluded front wrapping around this low will become slow-moving across S England today, bringing heavy convective downpours with risk of thunder. Further north, cold front will become slow-moving across N Scotland, with a risk of convective rainfall bringing isolated thunder.

... SE ENGLAND ...

Embedded convection is likely along a wrap around occluded front which will overspread SE England and southern E Anglia as low moves NE across N France/English Channel. Although any thunder and lightning will likely be isolated along this front, given weak lapse rates, localised torrential downpours may bring up to 20mm in a short space of time leading to localised flooding.

Clearer skies with sunny spells to the south of the front across the north French coast may spread N across the far SE of England this afternoon, which will steepen lapse rates to build 300-500 j/kg CAPE, which combined with large scale ascent in vicinity of low moving NE and dry air intrusion spreading N from France, may allow a few thunderstorms to develop here. Strongest wind shear will be further east on the near continent, so storm organisation will be limited, the main threat will be torrential rainfall, up to 20mm/per hr, leading to localised flooding. Wind convergence along SE coasts/Channel may lead to some funnels or brief/weak tornadoes with more buoyant updrafts. A Marginal risk of severe weather area, mainly for excessive rainfall, has been put across far SE, where strongest instability appears most likely.

... NE SCOTLAND ...

Some modest instability, 100-200 j/kg CAPE, is indicated by GFS along/just north of slow-moving cold front across NE Scotland, so there is a risk of isolated thunder and lightning here with heavier downpours moving NW along front, with a risk of localised flooding.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2

Posted

Really?

Indeed, wasnt loads but thunder was quite loud

I doubt he would have just made it up, Blltzortung shows strikes (albeit only a few)

Not raining in Southampton yet, but looks only a matter of time.

As if I made it up, you only have to look back on the net weather radar, that picks up the strikes aswell I was on about lol...

Posted

Indeed, wasnt loads but thunder was quite loud

As if I made it up, you only have to look back on the net weather radar, that picks up the strikes aswell I was on about lol...

He made it all up - 28 degrees down in IOW, wall-to-wall sunshine...

• Like 1

Posted

A few recent strikes just off coast of West Sussex. Dry air intrusion, quite visible on recent WV imagery, spreading N over Channel from Nern France increasing instability:

post-1052-0-94458800-1440410533_thumb.pn

Posted

He made it all up - 28 degrees down in IOW, wall-to-wall sunshine...

Haha im sat on the beach getting cloud burnt

Some beefy downpours showing on the radar at the moment, especially to my East and South East