Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather Discussion 14/11/15 Onwards

Liam J

Posted

It's a shame that the trough seems to be tracking through Wales and the w Midlands. A normal unstable NWerly would have probably set up more of a Cheshire streamer for a period, but that's not looking likely from the BBC's forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Bitterly cold today, just got up to 2.6c in a biting NNW wind. Icy surfaces in the shade had to watch where I was walking when out with the dogs. Dew point is minus 3c so would certainly have sleet/snow but no ppn when you need it! Lol. 

Fells looking nice with covering from last night. 

snow.thumb.JPG.f09c6685d7e4a2601f29b719d

Posted

There should be a few stray showers heading over Merseyside and north Cheshire, whether it will be snow or not is another question

tonight that is!

Edited by chiffer

Posted

Can't see what all the fuss about a cold snap, pleasant enough today in Manchester and reasonably warm in the sun at lunchtime. Can't remember the last time I saw the sun out for so long, if only it were higher in the sky, Spring can't come soon enough.

Yesterday evening was pretty horrible cycling home in cold rain through gridlocked traffic though. Less of that please, would much prefer mild rain if it's not going to snow.

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, shadowfax said:

Sorry Griff74 but there is absolutely no snow anywhere around Ramsbottom or even much higher up where I am.

Hopefully that may change with some of these showers if they ever make it.

Damn it! I can see plenty of white on the hills above Oldham (I think, where all the wind turbines are) from desk at work, maybe I'll go look around there, also had snow and ice alerts for all around by were my folks and brother live in North Wales so might pop down there instead, is about time my brothers shiny new Defender that he got just before crimbo got it's first proper work out I'd say (he's being far to precious about it, what was the point of the massive mud and snow tyres it's got otherwise?!?! lol).

Posted

I'm not confident about tonight, BBC weather at 1:30 just showed a rogue shower in Cheshire. Tomorrow lunchtime and afternoon may see wintry showers, but them showing up at the warmest part of the day will probably not amount to much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Bright with blue skies and very cold out 

Posted

Temperature 4.8C
Dew Point -2.6C
Wind Chill 0C
Current Weather: Clear

Overnight dew point was at 3.7C, heavy and torrential rain showers. Eased of around 3am, but dp remained at 3.7C. This morning a few more rain showers, temperature well above freezing along with dp. Once all the precipitation moved there, the dp rapidly dropped of to what is now, but the temperature as climbed slightly in the last 30 minutes to 4.8C from 2.4C around 2 hours ago.

Forecast : Rain / snow showers.

Liverpool Airport TAF

TAF EGGP 141105Z 1412/1512 32014KT 9999 SCT020 TEMPO 1412/1415 33017G27KT PROB30 TEMPO 1421/1506 4000 SHRASN BKN008

Other outlets say any rain will turn to snow.  Which if the dp stays below freezing and enough precip is around its a given.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Plenty of showers out west now, fingers crossed for later for at least some falling snow

Edited by Minus 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
22 minutes ago, HotCuppa said:

Temperature 4.8C
Dew Point -2.6C
Wind Chill 0C
Current Weather: Clear

Overnight dew point was at 3.7C, heavy and torrential rain showers. Eased of around 3am, but dp remained at 3.7C. This morning a few more rain showers, temperature well above freezing along with dp. Once all the precipitation moved there, the dp rapidly dropped of to what is now, but the temperature as climbed slightly in the last 30 minutes to 4.8C from 2.4C around 2 hours ago.

Forecast : Rain / snow showers.

Liverpool Airport TAF

TAF EGGP 141105Z 1412/1512 32014KT 9999 SCT020 TEMPO 1412/1415 33017G27KT PROB30 TEMPO 1421/1506 4000 SHRASN BKN008

Other outlets say any rain will turn to snow.  Which if the dp stays below freezing and enough precip is around its a given.  

Nice to see you again HC. Yes DPs well below freezing here too. Latest MO text forecast more encouraging for us in the SW of the region. 

A nice TAF there although I wish it said PROB40 and no RA.  

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Max temp of 3.2c just now with a DP of -2.6c, clear skies and a bitter NW wind which will probably stop the temp falling too low after sunset in just under an hour. The most wintriest feeing day out of the last 6 weeks +, really need to wrap up. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
17 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

Had a max of of bang on 3C today. The sun is now starting to dip behind the houses, and the temperature is already falling. It's down to just 1.8C now, so depending on how the showers move in tonight, it could be a pretty bitter night.

Indeed. If that breeze drops off & sky remains relatively clear it could be a very chilly one.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Fantastic array of anvils over the sea ,sun setting behind them now ,someone's going to get a pasting...

I was looking at that on the Raintoday radar, do we have any idea if any of it is going to far inland to say, oh I don't know, Manchester area????

Posted

BBC still pushing for most of the showers to be west and south of the region tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
11 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

BBC still pushing for most of the showers to be west and south of the region tonight.

They will be. Wind direction is all wrong. Manchester needs a WNW, Cheshire needs a direct NW. Winds are shown to be NNW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What on earth is the GFS 12z doing???

Posted
1 minute ago, Spah1 said:

What on earth is the GFS 12z doing???

It's having a wobble and can't cope, meto's forecasting systems seem to be following the ukmo. But I'm sure the gfs is onto a little bit of something.