Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
29 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Wind charts on there too.

ukm2.2016122400.144.lant.troplant.uas.fcukm2.2016122500.168.lant.troplant.uas.fc

surface wind in knots.

So max wind gusts around 60mph for exposed areas?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I had assumed there was no PM left and it was 15c now until end of year

GFS 06z shows a different story with PM -5c over whole of uk 24/12

Of course its brief but not a total mix out. The PM distribution changes every 6hrs but hasn't gone.

h850t850eu22.png

h850t850eu24.png

• Like 6

Posted

Horrible charts from both GFS and EWCMF, strenghtening PV and mild upper air temperatures will give us another green christmas, at least the rain could wait until the 26-27th december

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Not much on offer in terms of a breakthrough in terms of cold weather. The GEFs do suggest that the core low heights might back further west after Christmas.

gensnh-21-1-240.png   gensnh-21-1-300.png   gensnh-21-1-360.png

This would potentially allow heights to build closer to the UK again so after a potentially rather wet and windy Christmas we could see conditions improve from the south with the Azores high ridging closer to the UK, how this transpires is unknown, it could be a strong Euro/Scandi ridge, a UK high or cut-off heights with low heights over the Mediterranean, all possible evolutions. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

06Z

Well the big day is  wintery on this run.

....if you want to go looking for it.

Scafell Pike anyone?

uksnowrisk.png

h500slp.png

• Like 4

Posted
43 minutes ago, Tamara said:

One final repeat (I promise) of the misnomer about longer range signals that continues to persist despite the attempts to correct these and give true perspective:)

The risk of low angular momentum phase (adding up to a stronger and flatter northern branch of the jet, steepened gradient due to cold air coming out of Canadian arctic and consequent cyclogenesis threat ) was flagged over 3 weeks previously at a time when the consensus modelling gave good support to a cold blocked evolution through most of December.

We have seen a lot of blocking, but it has not been the variety perhaps anticipated and hoped for as autumn was coming to a close.

That unpopular phase possibility, that seemed a long way and, understandably, rather unlikely maybe to many back then, is now arriving this week - just when it is least wanted. The (usually) low AAM bias driven GEFS modelling unfortunately looks like striking accuracy with unerringly bad timing this week  (much as it did in early June to provide that highly underwhelming first half of summer)  

gfsgwo_1.png

The upside possibilities were based on both an ocean/+AAM atmospheric circulation and tropospheric/upper +WQO driven stratosphere disconnect being sustained much longer than has proved the case.

What is AAM, or how does it impact the weather? I managed to Google the meaning but not really how it impacts us. Low AAM, more chance of blocking or deep troughs and ridges?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Just looking at the latest synoptic chart for our region ( Central Europe ) we have reports of moderate snowfall under Euro High centre of 1034mb mainly in Slovenia but also Northern Salburgerland. Looks like a upper cold spreading, not sure why and  how the instability has developed but we here are seeing convectional cloud developing. Indeed, our fine mesh snow model going for 7cm at 1650m asl over the next 12 hours. Just going to show how sometimes the weather produces the unexpected especially in the middle of the high pressure centre. Anyway it will be a bonus.

C

2016121812_eur_cen_large.gif

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
28 minutes ago, Changing Skies said:

The exact whereabouts of the cold pool at T48 doesn't seem to be nailed yet. It's trended more north, would be hilarious, if anyone in southern districts managed a flurry. 

Staggering -4C 850hpa temps S of IOW.

image.pngimage.png

Yep, the French have -5c 850hpa over the home counties of England on Tuesday ! Its just developing now over the Northern Alpine region.

C

ARPOPEU06_48_2.png

• Like 7

Posted

Great post @Tamara - totally unscientific but I like your comparison with last summer - you didn't say it but of course fortunes turned unexpectedly in mid-July just as a lot of people were writing off the whole season, and then many of us ended up with a succession of short heatwave. I think coldies would settle for that in reverse in mid-January! 

But no model output to back up the idea. Except perhaps, the hope that the long range model output won't be wrong for an entire season!! 

Look forward to hearing if AAM looks like approaching a more favourable window any time soon.

• Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Great post @Tamara - totally unscientific but I like your comparison with last summer - you didn't say it but of course fortunes turned unexpectedly in mid-July just as a lot of people were writing off the whole season, and then many of us ended up with a succession of short heatwave. I think coldies would settle for that in reverse in mid-January! 

But no model output to back up the idea. Except perhaps, the hope that the long range model output won't be wrong for an entire season!! 

Look forward to hearing if AAM looks like approaching a more favourable window any time soon.

I notice the met office never seem to mention AAM. The trouble is most of the less knowledgable on this forum (myself included) have to take the word of the more knowledgable ones. How do we know for sure that low AAM and a storm or two in the pacfic lead us to this big fail? If it did, how come the predictions of high AAM were so way off target?

Posted

A very interesting point made by Tamara earlier on was that gut instinct and comparisons to years gone by. I had two (admittedly wet) snow falls in November. This is quite significant in relation to what Tamara was saying. November snow falls for this area have been incredibly rare for the last 30 years or so. However, I remember quite a few back in the 80's. Most of the 80's Decembers were mild and very similar to 2016. However, there were quite a few cold and snowy Jan and/or Febs in the 80's. This season feels very similar to the 80's :)

Edited by blizzard81
  • Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

A very interesting point made by Tamara earlier on was that gut instinct and comparisons to years gone by. I had two (admittedly wet) snow falls in November. This quite significant in relation to what Tamara was saying. November snow falls for this area has been incredibly rare for the last 30 years or so. However, I remember quite a few back in the 80's. Most of the 80's Decembers were mild and very similar to 2016. However, there was quite a few cold and snowy Jan and/or Febs in the 80's. This season feels very similar to the 80's :)

My Mum said the same - she said this feels like December 1986 - cold start, mild throughout then cold towards the end and freezing January's and February's. Nothing is a write off, however I am cautious of a stormy Christmas. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

I no this is a long way out it looks very cold eastern Europe starting push west uk looks to be cooling to but its 384 hours away.

we.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Just looking at the latest synoptic chart for our region ( Central Europe ) we have reports of moderate snowfall under Euro High centre of 1034mb mainly in Slovenia but also Northern Salburgerland. Looks like a upper cold spreading, not sure why and  how the instability has developed but we here are seeing convectional cloud developing. Indeed, our fine mesh snow model going for 7cm at 1650m asl over the next 12 hours. Just going to show how sometimes the weather produces the unexpected especially in the middle of the high pressure centre. Anyway it will be a bonus.

C

Yes, once you have the cold in place, nice surprises can crop up. Enjoy it while it lasts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

C

Had a bit of a sprinkling in Warsaw today too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
13 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

Seen it all before mate. Don't want to clutter the thread with non model related posts but I've had it this year.

You have snow showers to look forward to later in the week, one of the coldest parts of the uk from a cold zonal westerly flow!

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 9