Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
1 minute ago, radiohead said:

The Christmas Day low is still on the far side of the Atlantic there.

I know it is but the Christmas eve storm is now smack bang on us as below one low at a time?

gfs-0-126 (1).png

Edited by booferking

Posted
3 minutes ago, booferking said:

And now we have christmas day storm 24hrs later a double hit this time,  now that storm is dangerous very like the 1998 boxing day storm,

gfs-0-162 (1).png

Those who like blizzards, head to the mountains in Scotland. Epic storm looking at that !!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

The Christmas Day storm is looking pretty horrendous on this run, must be 100mph wind at least. Whilst I love all things weather, this would really be a serious storm by any UK standard and I hope it doesn't verify. Mind you, would likely bring blizzard like conditions to the Scottish Highlands, which given is where I'm spending Christmas, is some consolation!!!

gfsnh-0-168.png

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, knocker said:

Well hey ho said Reilly. where do we go with tonight's anomalies. The ecm has gone off on one or else it's spotted something nobody else has.

Upstream they are still quite similar except the ecm has reorientated the Greenland lobe and retrogressed the Atlantic trough which promotes quite strong ridging just to the east of  the UK. Ergo the eastern Atlantic switches from zonal to quite amplifies in a shake of Sidney's tail. What has instigated this is a tad above my pay grade. It does explains the differences in the det outputs earlier but at the moment the ecm has to be taken with a large dose of Saxo I feel although it undoubtedly would be the better outlook.

610day.03.gifecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.png

ecm_eps_z500a_nh_11.png

Not sure there is a lot of point looking further ahead but out of interest the differences do continue. NOAA and the GEFS have the trough to the NW with a zonal westerly whereas the EPS continues to be more amplified and the UK under the influence of the Azores HP apart from the far north,

814day.03.gifgefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.png

The 8/14 CPC will be raw naefs knocker with it being a Sunday.  Tomorrow's output cannot have 12z ECM included so if the 00z eps repeat today's 12z then will be interesting to see how CPC react with their blended chart. 

Posted

More wintry weather on Christmas Eve, more widespread and then more wind for more people in Christmas Day. 

Most of the country experiencing gusts of 70mph and some areas gusts to 110mph. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
15 minutes ago, radiohead said:

:bomb:

162-289UK_rsa1.GIF

Would knock the power out in a lot of places...not what I or any of us want on Christmas day. Though it would put the icing on the cake of what has been an utterly crap winter thus far. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Who would have thought this would have been possible after such a weak vortex in November. Let's hope the rest of winter can follow most of years above minus 1956 (couldn't find enough information on that winter) and 2015. Should add that after some research, 1990 Christmas Day had a pretty severe storm, much like current run from GFS.

Edited by Bullseye
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

Would knock the power out in a lot of places...not what I or any of us want on Christmas day. Though it would put the icing on the cake of what has been an utterly crap winter thus far. 

Absolutely. Lets hope the ecm is on the right path tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, West is Best said:

This really isn't funny.

Christmas storm.

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 22.42.00.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-18 at 22.42.48.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-18 at 22.43.07.png

The 18z representation looks worse than the Feb 2014 storm and that ripped enough trees apart round here and blew the roof off the train station. Coastal NW England looking at 100mph+ on this run.

Posted
17 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The 8/14 CPC will be raw naefs knocker with it being a Sunday.  Tomorrow's output cannot have 12z ECM included so if the 00z eps repeat today's 12z then will be interesting to see how CPC react with their blended chart. 

Yes I'm aware of the CPC situation Blue and it will also be interesting how the GEFS react always assuming the EPS doesn't modify it's position of course. I'm not totally surprised at the end result, but rather the timing and speed of the transition. Interesting though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

Who would have thought this would have been possible after such a weak vortex in November. Let's hope the rest of winter can follow most of years above minus 1956 (couldn't find enough information on that winter) and 2015...

And most of the JFM that followed had cold and snow at some point.... think Feb 91 as one example... ok 2013 and 15 didnt go on to produce cold for the remainder but im sure the other years did....

Posted
12 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

The 18z representation looks worse than the Feb 2014 storm and that ripped enough trees apart round here and blew the roof off the train station. Coastal NW England looking at 100mph+ on this run.

Yes it looks worse and larger than that storm on the GFS, though the GFS didn't really show show the true structure of that storm. The 2014 storm featured a gust of 159 kmh at Shannon Airport.

2014:                                                           18Z tonight:

9-289UK_hbw3.GIF162-289UK_pqh2.GIF

Edited by radiohead
  • Like 2