Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
7 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Don't curse it Fred - you were pretty 'hot' on a cold spell come mid-December which never materialised, fingers crossed and anything that can be...we need some luck on our tiny Isles!

Cursing nothing, we had exact opposite mid Dec, quite extreme really but I kept with the original thoughts, as wrong is wrong.  But we have zero consistency generally as run for run rolls out.  I suppose that is the rollercoaster.  

Now for the 18z.......

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Interesting where this run is going to!

GFSOPEU18_132_1.png

Quite a bit different isn't it,,,,

• Like 2

Posted

Slightly better application of the Alaskan heights too, this may help weaken PV a tiny bit more which could allow an increase in WAAs northward projection further down the line. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Massive differences between the 12z and 18z, tonights 18z seems to be backtracking back to where we want things to go. The ensemble scatter is massive beyond the 6th so it's not worth worrying about what happens beyond that. Crucial time is between & T132. If we can keep the two lows beneath the high from phasing together, we'll keep the amplification and get the second blow Northerly. 

Those two low pressure systems are key. UKMO has been phasing them and the later output isn't as good. No phasing on the 18z, it's heading for a good run. Until this is resolved, anything that happens beyond that is pure speculation.

• Like 3

Posted

Next weekends rapid cool down is back - happy with that. 

IMG_3924.PNG

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

This is a much better run,more height's  southern tip of Greenland forcing more WAA up there,net result ,forcing more CAA south:)

18z at 138hrs on the left and 12z at 144 on the right

gfs-0-138.pnggfs-0-144.png

• Like 1

Posted

Well 18z has gone from southerlies. Back to cold nw and then northerlies. We've seen this before where the models suddenly over react to a signal only the cancel out the reaction again over the next few runs. 

Not saying yet that this is happening but it's possible 

IMG_0685.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Talk about inter run variability. Chalk and cheese.

gfs-1-156.png

gfs-1-162.png

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Nouska said:

It is a tropical cyclone genesis view - NOAA and NHC don't focus on beasts from the east when hurricane forecasting, their interests are focused on ocean beasts. :D

Hurricane season is over. It is now beasterly season so their focus needs to shift east :)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Still not convinced by GFS,swinging too wildy from run to run.History tells me that UKMO will be on the money for next week and i still think we will see a Scandi/Icelandic High develop as opposed to a GH. Only imho and if i knew how to post charts i would but my PC skills are C--P i am afraid as not very techno minded.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Well i can not believe it,we get the northerly but the height's are not as good as the 12z at 180,though still happy in the short term.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Allseasons-si said:

Well i can not believe it,we get the northerly but the height's are not as good as the 12z at 180,though still happy in the short term.

So after all that, we may end up with a UK high anyway 

gfsnh-0-198.png?18

This island is cursed I tell thee

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

At D7 more uncertainty of phasing with height rises and the Azores trough. On this run a wave from the SE cuts the flow and we get an Azores cut off low with two sources of WAA building the Atlantic High:

gfs-0-180.png

A cold northerly on this run; D8:

gfs-1-192.png

Looks very complicated with all sorts of different scenarios within the unfolding pattern and that is not counting the D4 shenanigans that remain unresolved despite this flip-flop!

Edited by IDO

Posted
7 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Well 18z has gone from southerlies. Back to cold nw and then northerlies. We've seen this before where the models suddenly over react to a signal only the cancel out the reaction again over the next few runs. 

Not saying yet that this is happening but it's possible 

IMG_0685.PNG

The more detailed ensemble mean on from the EPS also show the northerly next weekend is not off the menu just yet.

MSLP ec-ens_nat_mslstd_mslmean_hres-msl_20161  T850 ec-ens_millikort_mslpmean_t850mean_t850s

The people with access to Weatherbell might have more info but it all looks pretty cold right out to 360 hours on the latest run.

• Like 6

Ignoring the 18z which is a standard topper - the overall day has been a step back & step away from the potential displayed yesterday, our best case is a delay in the cold > reload cold to very cold scenario -the worse case is cold to mild to continued mild ( via a vee UKMO

lets hope tomorrow lands on a more positive perspective.... however the trend from 12z UKMO & 18z GFS is to increase the jet speed across the Atlantic in the 144-168 arena forcing any block into submission- that's not a good sign...

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
4 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

Still not convinced by GFS,swinging too wildy from run to run.History tells me that UKMO will be on the money for next week and i still think we will see a Scandi/Icelandic High develop as opposed to a GH. Only imho and if i knew how to post charts i would but my PC skills are C--P i am afraid as not very techno minded.

Just right click on the image you want. Then left click "copy image address" from the drop down menu and then right click in your post and from the drop down menu selct paste and you wills ee the link appear and magically transform into an image when you post.

Sorry admin, should of PM'd

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
2 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Just right click on the image you want. Then left click "copy image address" from the drop down menu and then right click in your post and from the drop down menu selct paste and you wills ee the link appear and magically transform into an image when you post.

Sorry admin, should of PM'd

I did it a long way around ,thanks 2nd northerly back on

GFS 18z

h850t850eu.png

GFS 12Z

h850t850eu.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

Ignoring the 18z which is a standard topper - the overall day has been a step back & step away from the potential displayed yesterday, our best case is a delay in the cold > reload cold to very cold scenario -the worse case is cold to mild to continued mild ( via a vee UKMO

lets hope tomorrow lands on a more positive perspective....

Not sure that is nailed on as the case yet Steve. If we had seen a better upstream we would have got at least some trough disruption and more amplifed pattern as seen previously or even some undercut and the holy grail charts reappear.

Could well be that upstream is faster and flatter but I would rather get that Northerly and take my chances from there than just hope things fall our way in deep FI.

• Like 5