Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
18 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Indeed. You wouldn't think it was the UK model would you? Seems more interested in the US. The UK hardly makes it into the map - ridiculous!

It is a tropical cyclone genesis view - NOAA and NHC don't focus on beasts from the east when hurricane forecasting, their interests are focused on ocean beasts. :D

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Meto are saying north easterly is the most likely are they seeing something we can't maybe the gfs 18z will show what meto or seeing regarding a north easterly next weekend.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
10 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Yes, it was posted a few pages back. Neg AO is irrelevant unless we get a neg NAO too.

Is that true?

A negative AO can lead to strong Scandinavian high pressure systems even with a positive NAO and lows over Greenland. It makes cold spells a little less likely without a negative NAO too, granted, but not impossible as long as the jet is pretty weak which (unless I've misunderstood things) it would be with a negative AO. Apologies if I have that wrong

Not sure if Feb 91 or Jan 87 had a neutral or positive NAO. Again, might be wrong

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Going to make a brave call (not really) and say none of the models have the correct solution days 6-8. 

Ecm op is back to a hybrid version of what it showed between 36/48 hours ago. Gfs seems unsure of where it should be going. UKMO seems consistent but that's only to a degree. 

lets get the Azores low interaction with the northern arm modelled correctly (hopefully tomorrow) and then we will see if the northerly can still be backed far enough west to include the uk. Then it becomes Atlantic ridge, U.K. ridge, scandi ridge or sceuro ridge ??? 

Exactly what I was saying earlier. There is such a huge difference made by miniscule changes early on in the afternoon runs, that you'd feel that they are hardly nailed on, and this has a profound effect as the run progresses. I still doubt that we'll see the northerly that was predicted on the 7th, but I very much doubt that this pattern is set. The ECM is most likely outcome to my untrained eye, but just from experience watching charts roll out... Anything beyond 72/96 is FI until we see consistency in the major NWP's

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

NAO going neg but not as much as the AO

IMG_0322.PNG

IMG_0323.PNG

Edited by fromey
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
31 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

JMA still has a decent 2nd northerly around the 6/7th of January

Has it because I looked at the jma this morning and it was worse but that means 2 models have jumped ship that's the jma and gem just on this evenings run.

I think the ukmo is not dealing well with this situation remember it's very busy with vortex mostly on the eastern side of the Arctic.

The norm has been for more vortex over Greenland and western side of the Arctic.

Posted

ECM ENS at 120 looking a little iffy - I think

IMG_3919.PNG

Wrong, looks great later on , better than GEFS

IMG_3920.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattHugo81/status/814930508148834304?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Some positive news I think .

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 6

Posted

Would love to see the control and look forward to seeing the extended looking at this .

IMG_3921.PNG

Extended looking v good still

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

I get that it hasn't been as great today but it isn't this is it? Plenty of interest moving forward. 

IMG_8132.PNG

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Unsurprisingly the largest spread in ens for the n.hemisphere is bang over us for the ecm ens

The 12 z has simply confirmed no answers are available 

IMG_0682.PNG

That isn't at all surprising. Our little island makes a big noise :D 

It's another reason why I'm staggered some can dismiss our cold prospects given the spread of options available. I'd love to be confident about our chances for sustained cold but it is impossible to be! Time to enjoy the New Year northerly and see what the models tease us with afterwards :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
28 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Going to make a brave call (not really) and say none of the models have the correct solution days 6-8. 

Ecm op is back to a hybrid version of what it showed between 36/48 hours ago. Gfs seems unsure of where it should be going. UKMO seems consistent but that's only to a degree. 

lets get the Azores low interaction with the northern arm modelled correctly (hopefully tomorrow) and then we will see if the northerly can still be backed far enough west to include the uk. Then it becomes Atlantic ridge, U.K. ridge, scandi ridge or sceuro ridge ??? 

Is this the low we need to watch ??

Low.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

I do love this forum, it amazes me that so many of us get caught up in the eye candy that charts POST +144 can sometimes churn out, for me the writing for a decent cold attempt was etched on the wall several days ago and when you  find that the charts that are showing a decent cold evolution always move  a day further away each day, then you find your always looking at charts between 168-268 (or further out), for a cold evolution. 

It's clear (at least to me) that after this weekend things are going to warm up slightly as we progress through next week. 

Then to me it looks like rinse and repeat again, I keep saying that were stuck in this pattern of MLB highs moving South East across the UK at a crawl and heading off into central Europe

since just before Christmas the models keep suggesting that one of these highs either links up with Greenland to form some sort of Omega block...Or moves North East into Scandinavia to for a Scandi High. 

But when it gets to within +168 on the charts we find that the highs simply continue their journey into central Europe and the pattern repeats

In fact RIGHT NOW, we're on the back end of one of these scenario's which has played out 4 or 5 times since the beginning of December

gfs-0-6.png?12?12GOODBYE MLB High...ohh look there's the next one waiting in the wings !!

And where does THAT MLB High go ??

UW120-21.GIF?30-18UKMO +120 has it to our South, 

I don't really tend to look into charts at +240 very much these days, but I know many of us do...so lets' look at the GFS Control at +240...

gens-0-1-240.pngGFS CONTROL +240 ..doesn't that look familiar ???

Until I see this pattern disappear completely from the charts I'm not buying into an Easterly or North Easterly. 

Something will eventually give, but the longer this pattern repeats without being broken up by ridging to the North in some shape or form then it could be the job of the Atlantic...and then we'd likely be back to square one. 

Sorry...I know it's a bit of a doom and gloom post at a time where the charts are showing promise, but IMO that a chart full of promise is a far cry from a chart that I'm looking at to see WHERE the snow is going to be. 

Until I get to that point I find it hard to get excited about eye candy ...but it is nice to look at :-)

Happy 2017 to you all, let's hope I'm wrong and i'd be only too happy to eat humble pie whilst rolling in a 6 foot snow drift :-)

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Old data, before tonights runs. Will be gone by next update replaced by UK high cold.

Not so sure about that. Met Office use the models for guidance and the narrative that they publish is a consideration of the forecast team. If they believe that the models have issues then they use experience to guide their forecasting. What they do not do is jump around from run to run. You may be right in that the narrative will change but it is not a given thing just because the models are now saying something different. 

With the PV lobe over northern Canada it was always a big ask for the HP to reach up to Greenland but I believe someone said that the Iceland /Scandinavia area was a more natural home. The met office talk 9f North easterly which fit with this and the models may just be overreacting to the signals from the strat in sinking it southwards

Edited by FetchCB
Spelling
  • Like 7

Posted

The eps post day 8 are pretty well back to where they were yesterday evening. 

A bit colder as the ridge is held a little further nw than 24 hours ago but not as far as the 00z run. So a middle ground found between the last two eps runs.

the control look ablot like the UKMO to our west day 5/6 and goes onto build a strong block to our wnw which goes up to Iceland (note the low temps into de bilt) and then sinks across nw Europe 

the background pattern remains the same, despite the melodrama with the Azores low in the short term - the casualty of those shenanigans likely to be a strong northerly or nor'easter for next weekend.

of course, another set of ops due within 12 hours !

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, radiohead said:

12Z GFS (P) is out. Weak ridging that is broken down by Atlantic lows bursting through. :wallbash:

Chocolate fireguard ( must be) ha.

Posted

0z (Blue) vs 12z (Red) EPS (Note this is T2M max rather than average):

IMG_0037.PNG

As Matt says, warmer in the mid range but pretty identical beyond that average wise, but notice the larger spread of the dataset on the 12z highlighting increased uncertainty

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!
29 minutes ago, fromey said:

NAO going neg but not as much as the AO

IMG_0322.PNG

IMG_0323.PNG

Slightly negative NAO can still correlate to wintry outbreaks. I was having a look at NAO archives for some key snowy events. Some were even slightly positive. JAN 84 Was very cold and snowy with an NAO of +1.66, Jan 93 +1.6 Nly gales and blizzard conditions. +0.77 and +0.29 for Jan and Feb 1999 again some stonking cold outbreaks. So not bad news if it is slightly positive

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!
2 minutes ago, snowking said:

0z (Blue) vs 12z (Red) EPS (Note this is T2M max rather than average):

IMG_0037.PNG

As Matt says, warmer in the mid range but pretty identical beyond that average wise, but notice the larger spread of the dataset on the 12z highlighting increased uncertainty

Is it just my imagination or are the error bars much wider for the 6th than another other date?