Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
39 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

One thing I noticed is that GEFS 6z are much less sure about how quickly that cold over central Europe dissapears. Quite huge spread around 9th-10th January. It wasn't there on 00z. Maybe something to watch for.

Warsaw ensembles illustrate this well, at around 10 Jan there is a spread from -16 to +3 degrees. One thing I have noticed though is that the operational run for Warsaw at least has often been on the mild side on the GFS ensembles for the last few runs, again from around the 10 Jan so it seems this is a fairly significant juncture, at least for part of Europe. Not sure if @daz_4 and @jvenge have noticed similar as to where op runs for Czech Republic and Moldova sit within their suites. In the more reliable there is some nice deep cold for a big swathe of Europe in the next few days as just pointed out by new member @Alekos (Welcome to Netweather!). A taste of deep cold is always welcome.

gefstmp2mmaxWarsaw_Poland (2).png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Looking ahead - the ECM 46-day control run is very nice if you like cold - it shows persistent E'ly winds after D14. Trough disruption to the west at D10, with LP moving SE under the AH which increases heights and drifts E near Iceland. The combined high settles over Scandinavia.giving a very tasty pressure profile towards the end of the month.

The ECM control on todays EC15 shows a broadly similar picture.

The latest EPS & GEFS06z both show continuing consistentcy and signal colder conditions after mid month

GFSENS06_52_0_205.png

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

Admittedly until we get to mid month the 'reliable' time frame charts are not that scintillating but I'm still optimistic based on what the ENS suites are showing & have been showing for a while now.

:):cold:

Edited by Purga
  • Like 6

Can we ban Alekos just for that outlandish IMBY post :rofl: only joking Welcome Alekos to this mad house.. Mods we should set up a reginal thread for our friends in other parts of europe so we can see there wonderful snow...

Posted

It has to be said -20 @850 in North Greece is really extraordinary crazy at a latitude of 38° N we are on avg of 55° N in this country were does it all go wrong... This isle feels like a desert complete desolation at times

gfs-1-96.png

Edited by booferking
  • Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Can we ban Alekos just for that outlandish IMBY post :rofl: only joking Welcome Alekos to this mad house.. Mods we should set up a reginal thread for our friends in other parts of europe so we can see there wonderful snow...

There is a weather around the world section. https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/112-weather-around-the-world/ And for @Alekos there is already a Weather in Greece thread https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/84989-weather-news-from-greece/  

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Alekos said:

I think from the charts I've looked at the reason is Greenland and Scandernavia don't get the pressure rises in winter so much now

Interesting points and welcome along, Alekos.

gfs-0-54.png?6

We get very close to a NE'ly from this chart but it's a fail and you can see why:

gfs-5-54.png?6

Would it have been a failure 20-30 years ago - is the jet more powerful than it was and if so, why ?

I expected the HP to strengthen over the cold interior of Scandinavia (as I certainly remember from 1981) but instead it collapses almost immediately under that strong northern jet.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Warsaw ensembles illustrate this well, at around 10 Jan there is a spread from -16 to +3 degrees. One thing I have noticed though is that the operational run for Warsaw at least has often been on the mild side on the GFS ensembles for the last few runs, again from around the 10 Jan so it seems this is a fairly significant juncture, at least for part of Europe. Not sure if @daz_4 and @jvenge have noticed similar as to where op runs for Czech Republic and Moldova sit within their suites. In the more reliable there is some nice deep cold for a big swathe of Europe in the next few days as just pointed out by new member @Alekos (Welcome to Netweather!). A taste of deep cold is always welcome.

gefstmp2mmaxWarsaw_Poland (2).png

The models have handled the cold shot incoming quite well, I noticed. I can't view individual ECM members to see how they ranked in, but the GEFS were quite consistent after the switch. Both have been changing for Day 8, but minor adjustments. That's to say, they flipped around the time the cold times for the UK were showing and people were going into meltdown here. At that time, op runs were showing unusually mild weather for here. Just a FYI to those who take model runs as gospel. Things can and do change and you don't need to be relying on what deep FI shows to get it.

They both have modeled this coming cold spell fairly well, but differences remain between the colder ECM and the GFS. That's to say, both are frigidly cold runs, but the ECM is colder, where as the GFS has a little more precipitation. Trying to reach a verdict on precipitation this far out though is a little pointless, though. The 6z took this a little further and unusually a lot of the ensembles extended the cold shot, vs the mixed approach from day 8 previously.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
6 minutes ago, More Snow said:

There is a section in the forum for overseas weather discussion with a number of threads running for some of the European countries.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/112-weather-around-the-world/

Our European members are very welcome to post about their weather in there or start a new thread in that section if one is not already open for their country.:)

edit.I see this info has been posted,Thanks.

Meantime some recent posts have been removed to keep on topic,Model discussion only please.

Thanks.

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, jvenge said:

The models have handled the cold shot incoming quite well, I noticed. I can't view individual ECM members to see how they ranked in, but the GEFS were quite consistent after the switch. Both have been changing for Day 8, but minor adjustments. That's to say, they flipped around the time the cold times for the UK were showing and people were going into meltdown here. At that time, op runs were showing unusually mild weather for here. Just a FYI to those who take model runs as gospel. Things can and do change and you don't need to be relying on what deep FI shows to get it.

They both have modeled this coming cold spell fairly well, but differences remain between the colder ECM and the GFS. That's to say, both are frigidly cold runs, but the ECM is colder, where as the GFS has a little more precipitation. Trying to reach a verdict on precipitation this far out though is a little pointless, though. The 6z took this a little further and unusually a lot of the ensembles extended the cold shot, vs the mixed approach from day 8 previously.

Agreed the European cold snap has been well modelled, it is certainly pleasing to see a 'count down' to a cold outcome rather than go through endless twists and turns. The colder options have been extended as you say but being just one run it is more for watching with interest of course. Personally I like slightly moderated temps with more snow, but each to his own.

Posted
Just now, Seasonality said:

Agreed the European cold snap has been well modelled, it is certainly pleasing to see a 'count down' to a cold outcome rather than go through endless twists and turns. The colder options have been extended as you say but being just one run it is more for watching with interest of course. Personally I like slightly moderated temps with more snow, but each to his own.

What's interesting is that GEFS are not showing the temperatures that the ECM is, even in all the ensembles. We only talk about 3 degrees here, but you would have thought they would be singing from the same hymn sheet by now. ECM moved the most so far, as it was originally a good 7 degrees difference until yesterday, but I watch with interest the runs now to look at precipitation and temperature tweaks. In the past, I have tended to trust the ECM a little more when it comes to temperature. 

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

That's NOAA cpc analysis for day 11from yesterday 

good site to judge what the pros are thinking 

Cheers BlueArmy and Dennis. With that chart being hand drawn by a human it does indeed look promising.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Cheers BlueArmy and Dennis. With that chart being hand drawn by a human it does indeed look promising.

You will need to check the human side - some charts are generated as super ens means from the days gefs products and some are human interpretation of cross model assessment 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
21 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

You will need to check the human side - some charts are generated as super ens means from the days gefs products and some are human interpretation of cross model assessment 

Looks similar to the Anomaly charts that knocker and JH have already posted. image.jpg

image.jpg

Could this be where we're heading mid month ? image.jpg

Edited by shotski
  • Like 1

Posted

Just a one off to lighten the mood,this period of weather,reminds me and folk of a certain age,of the Eric Morecombe..Andre Previn classic....I know we have high pressure....but not necessarily in the right places.

• Like 7

Posted

06Z GFS(P) offers up nothing of interesting.

Fingers crossed we get some interesting 12Z runs today. I can't say I feel very hopeful though. Even though the GEFS is showing a trend towards cooler upper air temps towards mid month, looking at the individual members, there doesn't seem be any obvious cluster with a similar pattern.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, radiohead said:

06Z GFS(P) offers up nothing of interesting.

Fingers crossed we get some interesting 12Z runs today. I can't say I feel very hopeful though. Even though the GEFS is showing a trend towards cooler upper air temps towards mid month, looking at the individual members, there doesn't seem be any obvious cluster with a similar pattern.

And this is the right way to read ensembles, for those confused by them. X amount showing cold is no good if they don't get there in a broadly similar way.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
10 minutes ago, jvenge said:

And this is the right way to read ensembles, for those confused by them. X amount showing cold is no good if they don't get there in a broadly similar way.

That's all very well for GEFS but not many have access to ecm ensembles individual runs. I'm not sure we can even view the postage stamps anymore can we? I know they used to be very handy and @nick sussex  used them regularly 

I'm not sure I really agree with the statement anyway. If it's trends you are looking for, then you want them grouping in the same direction, ignoring the detail, especially with the extended period as it is extremely unlikely many of the members will  agree on a route to cold like for like at D10+. 2 GFS op runs struggle!

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
5 minutes ago, jvenge said:

Yep 100% right we had a trend to build a high out west and the mean was dropping to -5 850 from just before mid month on then we starting losing that signal for height rises out west but to see height rises to the east and when this happens you usually end up with nothing at all messy setup indeed.

Lets see what the 12z bring hopefully something to cheer us up.