Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Guest Delete Me

This is my last post on the topic seeing as my sources are being questioned.

It's not alarmist, scaremongering or sensationalism. It's footage, images and stories from on the ground in Wuhan and the wider province.

Only a CCP fan would think the confirmed data is real and the government is one of honesty and integrity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

This is my last post on the topic seeing as my sources are being questioned.

It's not alarmist, scaremongering or sensationalism. It's footage, images and stories from on the ground in Wuhan and the wider province.

Only a CCP fan would think the confirmed data is real and the government is one of honesty and integrity.

What's a 'CCP fan', Paul?:unsure2:

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

What's a 'CCP fan', Paul?:unsure2:

Chinese Communist Party?

By the way the Walsall hosp 'case' is misinformation; never trust The Mail, The Sun or Daily Express - they all ran it online this morn 

• Like 3

Posted

URGENT INFORMATION. 

FY4WGQ2HNM448O2.LARGE.jpg?auto=webp&&fra
WWW.INSTRUCTABLES.COM

Plague Doctor Mask: So after looking around online I decided I didn't quite like any of the plague doctor masks that I was seeing as far as tutorials, it all seemed like a lot of extra work for something that...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Back on topic all, cheers!

Posted

Gilead Sciences Offers Experimental Drug for Coronavirus Treatments, Testing

The U.S. biotech firm has formalized agreement with China to conduct clinical trial of remdesivir.

The patient was given remdesivir on the seventh day of his hospitalization, Jan. 26, and the following day the patient’s clinical condition improved. As of Jan. 30, the patient remains hospitalized, but “all symptoms have resolved with the exception of his cough, which is decreasing in severity,” the researchers wrote.

On the day he was treated with the Gilead drug, the patient’s fever reached 39.4 degrees Celsius (102.9 degrees Fahrenheit). The following day it dropped to 37.3 degrees Celsius (99.1 degrees Fahrenheit) and declined into the normal range over subsequent days, the paper said.

“Before treatment he had high fevers and was getting sicker,” George Diaz, the patient’s attending physician at Providence Regional Medical Center Everett, said in an interview on Friday. “After treatment, he had reduced fevers and no longer required oxygen. His lungs cleared up, and he generally felt better.”

social
WWW.WSJ.COM

Gilead Sciences has provided doses of an experimental antiviral drug to doctors for the emergency treatment of a small number of patients infected by the new...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
VIRALZONE.EXPASY.ORG

A knowledge resource to understand virus diversity
WWW.VIROLOGY.NET

All the Virology on the WWW is the best site on the net to find information about viruses, virology, microbiology and infectious disease. This comprehensive index site has information for virologists...

Edited by Dreckly
  • Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Seems that in China cases are flattening out.

GISANDDATA.MAPS.ARCGIS.COM

Big caveat is are the reported cases and deaths actually correct for China? 

Sadly it's unlikely we'll ever know what happened/is happening in China.

Posted
2 hours ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

massive amount whiped of on china stock exchange today globel reccition incoming 

Bit of an overreaction to a minor outbreak of disease comparatively?

ofc, the riches in the world will be privy to what is really going on, and move their assets around to cover themselves.

Have you seen this too.....

PRC_131103799_1580603367.jpg?quality=90&
METRO.CO.UK

Chinese authorities have been locking people with coronavirus inside their own homes.

This is just like the black death

Posted

seasonal flu death rate worldwide is up to 5 million cases with up to 650.000 deaths. Just to put a perspective on things.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

massive amount whiped of on china stock exchange today globel reccition incoming 

A buying opportunity will arise over coming weeks (UK shares). I'm waiting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, Dreckly said:

seasonal flu death rate worldwide is up to 5 million cases with up to 650.000 deaths. Just to put a perspective on things.

But those numbers imply a mortality rate of around 13%, which I think is rather high; I've known dozens of folks who've had flu, but not a single one of those folks has died from it...?

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Snipper said:

Seems that in China cases are flattening out.

GISANDDATA.MAPS.ARCGIS.COM

Big caveat is are the reported cases and deaths actually correct for China?

No that's due to the roughly hourly updates - but the graph shows daily points - the last point creeps up each day. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

But those numbers imply a mortality rate of around 13%, which I think is rather high; I've known dozens of folks who've had flu, but not a single one of those folks have died from it...?

13% out of a population of 7 billion ish? I think the main cause of death is it can develop in to pneumonia

Posted
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

But those numbers imply a mortality rate of around 13%, which I think is rather high; I've known dozens of folks who've had flu, but not a single one of those folks have died from it...?

That's the issue with infection stats - it depends how the total case count is calculated.  If it implies the number who visit a doctor or phone a helpline with flu symptoms then it will be MUCH lower than the real number of infections, which can only ever be crudely estimated.  Plus, as with the Wuhan virus, some people get very sick and others feel like they've got a bad cold.

Seasonal flu viruses have an overall death rate of <0.1% globally, whereas the Wuhan virus was initially thought to be at least 20 times deadlier.  We still don't know the actual number of infections and death rate as most of the cases are in China where data is extremely difficult to trust.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, 4wd said:

No that's due to the roughly hourly updates - but the graph shows daily points - the last point creeps up each day. 

I did not say it was flat. Just flattening out compared from the start of recording. 

Posted
NEXTSTRAIN.ORG

nCOV 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
13 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

But those numbers imply a mortality rate of around 13%, which I think is rather high; I've known dozens of folks who've had flu, but not a single one of those folks has died from it...?

Apparently the B 'flu virus that's in the US at the moment is more frequently fatal for young children than the A one. Presumably a high percentage of children who die will have pre-existing conditions.

I heard last week of three people who died (in this small village) after contracting 'flu in December. All three were elderly and had other medical conditions but were not debilitated. They got pneumonia, one died a day after being admitted to hospital, the other two within a week.

It's rampant here at the moment along with other nasties (one of which I have bloomin' got) and the latest French stats say around 10,000 people die here every year due to it or it's syndrome.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Thing with Flu is the developed world has a yearly flu vaccine (for those caring to indulge) whereas, to date, we have NO defence against 2019-nCoV (natural/herd immunity/vaccine?) meaning the potential total infection is over 7 billion

If the mortality rate of 2019-nCoV was as low as '0.5%' how would that compare to the seasonal Flu?

But of course this is new to humanity and will continue to evolve with every new infection.

As such it could become milder/more severe over time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
3 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Thing with Flu is the developed world has a yearly flu vaccine (for those caring to indulge) whereas, to date, we have NO defence against 2019-nCoV (natural/herd immunity/vaccine?) meaning the potential total infection is over 7 billion

If the mortality rate of 2019-nCoV was as low as '0.5%' how would that compare to the seasonal Flu?

But of course this is new to humanity and will continue to evolve with every new infection.

As such it could become milder/more severe over time.

I agree, the 2019-nCoV has plenty of time and opportunity to mutate. I had the 'flu vaccine before leaving the UK (I knew what work I was coming back to and wnated to protect myself and others) and it covers all European varieties too, but there isn't a vaccine against everything.

Neither my doctor nor I know what I have got right now - it's a non-specific throat infection (most likely not streptococcal) but it's not nice. There's no danger as I am very fit and well otherwise (I'm always so proud of my 55 BPM resting heart rate and he never fails to comment especially during my visit today after Mylo and I having met him while we were out running the other day!), it's just nasty and I've been signed off work until Wednesday to avoid spreading it to the clients I work with who may be vulnerable.

I think this new virus will be a real issue for people with pre-existing medical conditions and there are many of those people around. For most of us, even if we get it, it will be a good outcome.

• Like 3

Posted

I wouldn’t trust a word that comes out from Chinese authorities.

The WHO haven’t leveled criticisms because they need them onside but the virus and person to transmission started well before China even admitted there was a problem .

And then they continued to double down that there was no sign of that human to human transmission .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
10 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I wouldn’t trust a word that comes out from Chinese authorities.

The WHO haven’t leveled criticisms because they need them onside but the virus and person to transmission started well before China even admitted there was a problem .

And then they continued to double down that there was no sign of that human to human transmission .

Absolutely agree, all very untrustworthy. 

• Like 3