Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

FYI there are 2 warnings now for Snow -

First one is tomorrow daytime- 10:00 to 16:00

Second is for tomorrow night & Friday- 20:00 to 11:00 Friday

First one is Pennines only, other one is bigger and touches Sheffield and Leeds.

The new first ones text -

A band of rain will move eastwards across the UK during Thursday, with this likely to fall as snow for a time, particularly over hills. Many places will see 1-2 hours of snow with a risk of temporary slushy accumulations above 100-150 m with snow leading to difficult travel conditions. A longer period of snow is expected over higher ground with 2-5 cm likely above 200-300 m, and 10-15 cm above 400 m. Over higher routes, strong winds will lead to drifting and temporary blizzard conditions.

Posted

I'd say 200m+ for any temporary coverings from tomorrows front, the showers after early in the morning look more interesting.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

No warnings here and rain just forecast according to the met office.  Recently update as earlier on it had sleet for us.

Tomorrow or in a hour it could say Snow. I think the time of day and our height works against us if we were a bit higher up I think we'd be in business.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days

Very interesting few days for mostly the west of our region but not exclusively.

Tomorrow snow is expected on the leading edge of the front moving across west to east accumulations mainly on higher ground and perhaps some wet snow at lower levels, then a short mild period or should I say slightly milder moving in on the back edge although I will add the mild section is getting narrower on each run so something to keep an eye on. Then we enter the colder air again bringing snow showers Thursday night into Friday and throughout the day heaviest expected to the west of our region but some steamer or heavier bursts could make it a lot further east. So lots to like over the next 48 hours. I will add there could be some surprises with the warm Atlantic and Irish Sea when it comes to showers and streamers setting up along with evaporated cooling that could bring the snow level down, something to keep an eye on. then we look at later on in the month where some models are throwing out some eye candy. At over 10days out mind  

Edited by Yorkshirepudding
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Yorkshirepudding said:

Very interesting few days for mostly the west of our region but not exclusively.

Tomorrow snow is expected on the leading edge of the front moving across west to east accumulations mainly on higher ground and perhaps some wet snow at lower levels, then a short mild period or should I say slightly milder moving in on the back edge although I will add the mild section is getting narrower on each run so something to keep an eye on. Then we enter the colder air again bringing snow showers Thursday night into Friday and throughout the day heaviest expected to the west of our region but some steamer or heavier bursts could make it a lot further east. So lots to like over the next 48 hours. I will add there could be some surprises with the warm Atlantic and Irish Sea when it comes to showers and streamers setting up along with evaporated cooling that could bring the snow level down, something to keep an eye on. then we look at later on in the month where some models are throwing out so eye candy. At over 10days out mind  

Yes you are right. There is quite a strong hint of a strong Northerly developing later next week,  one too watch for sure.  As I said the other day, those people in the main forum saying things like winter over etc. Are been ridiculously premature in making such rash statements,  and quite silly to say such things in my opinion when winter has only just begun.  Weather situations can and do change very quickly , they always have and always will do.   The bottom line is, weather will always end up making fools out of those that make rash long term predictions based solely on the current models.  There is far more to  our weather and a great deal that we simply don't understand.

• Like 2

Posted

Ten days away now here are the winning lottery numbers. When you're that far out you're trying to find trends so if general agreement is towards trending cooler then yes something may pop up. GFS has once modelled a cold snap a long way out then ditched it only pick it up back up a few days later. I think that was Novembers short  cold snap. However that is very much the exception to the rule. Recently models have struggled at very short notice so ten days don't get too excited.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
20 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Ok so tomorrow. A band of precipitation is likely to produce a few minutes of sleet & wet snow in the GREEN zone. A slight dusting possible 10-11am before a quick transition to rain. Better entrenched cold air in the PURPLE zone will allow for 50% of the area to see more prolonged wet snow for an hour, in 50% of this area up to 1cm may accumulate with up to 2cm above 200m asl. In the YELLOW area expect a mix of sleet & snow below 200m giving 50% coverage of 1-3cm, before a transition to rain. Above 200m a 60% coverage of 2-8cm accumulation with 100% coverage above 300m.

Screenshot_20220105-194610_Gallery.jpg

Cheers mate.

Any thoughts on Friday for our region?

West Yorkshire favoured or are areas North and South of that in with a shout of some snowfall potential?

Edited by Kentish Snowman in Yorks
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Cheers mate.

Any thoughts on Friday for our region?

West Yorkshire favoured or are areas North and South of that in with a shout of some snowfall potential?

Just about enough wind to get decent precip into West Yorkshire could be decent above 100m. More scattered further north and south, winds veer nw into Friday afternoon so could get interesting further south.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Not expecting snow tomorrow here, patchy light rain, some accumulation west of Bradford. 

Posted

Well today while I work from home I'll amuse myself with the ever changing apps. Now got some snow forecast. One met offcie app says weather warning while the internet one says no warnings for the same location. LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Metoffice has us down for frontal snow around 11/12 today, then Snow/Sleet overnight from 3am until Heavy Snow from early morning onwards.

We've now been lumped into the warning too. Fun day off watching the weather ahead....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Work are sending me to Newcastle today. Having to go via Harrogate as A1M is closed at Wetherby.  Will see how bad it is on the way home!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

-3 here at 8am when i set off for work, heated seats on full , see what the day brings, most likely rain round these parts,

Edited by Wold Topper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
33 minutes ago, stupotlee said:

Metoffice has us down for frontal snow around 11/12 today, then Snow/Sleet overnight from 3am until Heavy Snow from early morning onwards.

We've now been lumped into the warning too. Fun day off watching the weather ahead....

Hilly areas to West might do well but I'm not expecting anything more than a bit of sleety wet snow that'll quickly turn to rain around here. 

Posted

Morning all. Still with snow cover here, roofs also are covered with snow without a thaw and it still feels cold under these conditions. Not expecting much though, maybe some light snow initially turning to rain in the afternoon. Midnight onwards looks more interesting but still too much uncertainty how far east some beefy showers could reach. 

IMG_20220106_094609.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
11 minutes ago, Sunny_AS said:

The precipitation has almost reached East coast further north, but hardly reached land for our area lol....

The radar is showing false echo's so can't be relied on. People in the North West thread saying its about 30 miles wrong; its also snowing in Liverpool at moment, which is probably a good indicator for prospects here.

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks like it could be a bit more interesting than I expected 

Posted

Odd light flake falling here in Bingley but hills not filling in yet.

Looking more forward to early hrs onwards into tomorrow morning.

Models starting to get interesting also so hopefully we've rode through the worst part of winter.......

Posted
20 minutes ago, HarrogatePete said:

Weather radar showing snow in Harrogate but nothing falling at the moment.

Give it 10-15min max for some flurries to start coming down. Snow curtains visible on SW horizon from here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Very light snow now.