Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Temperature went above 3c around half an hour or so ago but looks to be dropping back again already.  Down to 2.5c here.  Colder air moving back in already?

It's certainly colder out there than it was an hour or so ago.

Posted
2 hours ago, marksp said:

hahahah, Im 12 maybe 14 miles south of sheff, it rockin here.

but I feel Sheff and places north will do better tonight and tomorrow.

IMG_20220106_131452068_HDR.jpg

Yes my neighbour just said it took him 3 hours to crawl from matlock but as soon as he hit sheffield, nothing.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mariescb said:

Yes my neighbour just said it took him 3 hours to crawl from matlock but as soon as he hit sheffield, nothing.

Ive head this, also had a pic from a work colleague showing no snow in Chesterfield ??

when I checked radars the heavy ppn seemed to be North of Matlock, so I assumed hilly parts of sheff, and chesterfield would have been pasted, but maybe not.

still tonight and tomorrow to come

• Thanks 1

Posted

A couple of hours of moderate snow in the morning, turned to light rain later. Strong, gusty winds now and it feels much colder and raw than in the morning despite T has risen now to 3C. 

Posted

Not saying it will happen but fun to look at, highlights that the conditions are at the least ripe for snow showers on high ground.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.ea9841667f349efa1c1e60c5b4ed1ba0.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
1 hour ago, Cheese Rice said:

Not saying it will happen but fun to look at, highlights that the conditions are at the least ripe for snow showers on high ground.

I can only guess the model they are using has the low pressure on Friday further north.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

We are on the turn

Screenshot_2022-01-06-17-42-46-54_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Posted
1 hour ago, Cheese Rice said:

Hope so although I don't see much support for this look at the short range models. Euro4 shows some quite widespread accumulations though 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

I bet its yet another fail tonight! 

Posted

I'm expecting temporary accumulations at this elevation, I've been through many a Nwl'y and the air is never really that cold for anything too significant unless we end up under a longer spell of snow, those setups usually clip Sheffield South. 

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
34 minutes ago, Tim A said:

Hope so although I don't see much support for this look at the short range models. Euro4 shows some quite widespread accumulations though 

I woudnt build your hopes up. Be high ground and to the wnw

Posted
3 hours ago, Cheese Rice said:

I'm expecting temporary accumulations at this elevation, I've been through many a Nwl'y and the air is never really that cold for anything too significant unless we end up under a longer spell of snow, those setups usually clip Sheffield South. 

You'll get a covering at your altitude.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sunny_AS said:

The current precipitation started off as a mix of sleet and hail, but now falling as snow.....

How high up are you?.

• Like 1

Posted

Yup snowing here as well started as heavy rain but quickly turned to snow, not even sleety which bodes well. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Hopefully it makes it to the Wolds during the night, would be a pleasant surprise in the morning

Posted

Interestingly it was trying to settle, the ground must be quite cold still which bodes well for any accumulations. 

Posted

This is from Kasim, from the North West thread. Hope he doesn't mind me copying it on to here....

Forecast for tonight. 

10.30pm to 00.30am -> short lived areas of precipitation producing rain & hail/ sleet and temporary wet snow below 300m with slight snow accumulations above 300m in localized heavier bursts, especislly north of Manchester. Quite lengthy dry periods so the current area over the coast may be one of two. 

00.30 to 03.00 -> The second area of precip discussed above will begin to band over the forest of Bowland, M65 and into Keighley, producing wet snow down to 100-150m with accumulations of 1-4cm above 200m in this quite refined area. Elsewhere, very hit and miss beefty sharp showers producing accumulation above 250m, hail / sleet cover possible in heavier bursts below 250m.

03.00 to 06.00 -> The formed streamer discussed above will begin to move south - becoming concentrated and locally heavy through North Manchester & M62. Accumulations above 225m of 1-8cm. Mostly 1-4cm with concentrated areas higher parts of Todmorden moorlands seeing the 6-8cm. Accumulations will be patchy below 225m, however 50% coverage of 0.5 to 3cm can be expected within the streamer east of the m6. West of the m6 ground temps will remain too high. Meanwhile, a secondary coincident streamer may reform over the m65 / Keighley area. 

06.00 to 09.00 -> A switch to wnw will progress the main shower focus from north Manchester to south and east Manchester, north and east Cheshire and north Derbyshire. Here a spell of heavy wet snow below 200m will give 40% coverage of 1-3cm, with 60% coverage of 2-4cm likely above 200m. Meanwhile, the showers sourcing the streamer will provide periodic accumulations of hail / sleet west of the M6 with the risk of thunder. At this time, showers over the m65 / into north of region will be becoming less organised so will loose the risk of accumulation to lower levels, however above 250m a further topup will occur.

09.00 - 12.00. By this time the trough out west will slow wind speeds allowing for a heavy slow moving stream of showers to develop over the Macclesfield / Buxton area  producing further accumulations of 2-6cm above 275m asl. Below this altitude, 50% coverage of wet snow and temporary accumulation is expected through north / east Cheshire. Further north, scattered wintry showers producing very scattered slight accumulations of sleet / hail / trace snow amounts.

Posted

Heavy settling snow!!!

Anyways I'm off to bed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

As far as I can tell, it's raining here  It also looks like the streamer is already about to head to my South where it will presumably remain  

Edited by bazookabob

Posted
18 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

As far as I can tell, it's raining here  It also looks like the streamer is already about to head to my South where it will presumably remain  

Stopped here gave a good covering in Morley but nothing once you drop down the hill heading towards Leeds ! Like a different world